1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

DFM DATES OMG

"Rollout will begin in the second week of May, and full rollout by the third week"

2. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Sweeeeeeeeeet!

3. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I would've remembered that if I hadn't been posting half-asleep & under-caffienated. :duh:

4. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Great news :rock:

5. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Should still be noted that CR expressed those details with uncertainty in his voice, it was far from an announcement, which IMO is what the earlier post sounds like, so take it with a pinch of salt.
    But for the first playable example of the game it'll become, we've had Xmas, PAX East, and now mid-May, its effectively a 6 month delay on its release and that should be remembered throughout this development. The good news is they're releasing stuff when they're happy with it, regardless of estimated release dates, so hopefully when we get it its in a decent shape, though obviously very much an alpha release with its own issues & complications to deal with.

6. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

TBH, if they don't get it out in May they're going to be dealing with a bomb in the forums for yet another missed date. Of course, when in the 2/3rd week of May is another issue entirely.

Also, I have no doubt they have something that can be released. CR is a bit of a perfectionist, which may be impacting on the launch as he's not willing to let go until the last moment. This is an Alpha we're talking about - release it, patch it as we go!

7. Bede

Bede Minimodder

It's not an alpha in any traditional understanding of the concept. The rabid and noisy folk who have spent a great deal of their pocket money on this mean that there has probably never been such a weight of expectation on an equivalent gameplay release.

8. rollo

rollo Modder

not very convincing in his voice in truth so do wonder still.

Hopefully it will come in 2nd week or 3rd week but already waited 5months so whats another month on top.

Bede is right about that. Alpha it maybe but alot of people are expecting a fully working bug free DFM that is what the forums are talking about anyway. 6month delay = perfect DFM, Personally I think it will be lucky to be playable if the PAX east showing is out to go by.

9. iggy

iggy Minimodder

what witchery is this?

10. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Last edited: 30 Apr 2014
  11. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

Not fancying the rift anymore?

12. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I bought the basic Aurora to jump into the game.
    Some ships can be upgraded to a better spec by paying the difference.

Aurora MR -> Aurora LN
    Origin 300I -> 315P -> 325A
    Hornet F7C -> F7C-S Ghost -> F7C-R Tracker

13. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

Well if you want 4k, you're going to need another....

14. rollo

rollo Modder

what parge said 4k is super demanding on gpus.

15. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I bought 3x 29" Dell 2560x1080 monitors, still want a rift though.

Cei, ive just this second spotted your PM - They're fine, bit miffed at the 'ultra thin' bezel, its like 4mm thick and barely noticeable, but they forget to mention theres no pixels for about 10mm on the outer sides, bottom is fine. I've just moved the stand about 4" closer, but level with the end of the main frame i get pretty much full peripheral vision, its fantastic.
    Havent really tried them in anything yet, finally got it set up and started a fresh OS on monday morning. My current OS the AMD driver is screwed so i cant set up Eyefinity.
    48hrs later, ive installed 8.1, 8.1 again, 7 and then 7 sp1. I've also had to redo my Server 2012 machine twice. Basically all because the server couldnt connect to do backups, w7 wont work, only 7.1+, and when trying to install WS2012 cleanly over itself, it formatted the drive before i realised what that'd do, so lost a load of software databases and stuff.

I did get 2 laps in LFS and loved it, 160fps on a 270X, but thats always been heavily CPU dependant (i get 90+ on my Surface Pro 2 tablet :D).

But im just in a mood at the moment, everything that can go wrong feels like its going wrong, and rather than getting to enjoy things, im just stressed out and frustrated.

Aaaanyway, on to what i came to say...
    Gameshark has the X55 available for preorder now. Not sure when that button appeared as ive been preoccupied, but hopefully it puts me in the queue for one to arrive next week.
    They seem to be the official store, and they start shipping tomorrow, but like i say, not sure when that button appeared so could be today, could have been over the weekend :(
    http://store.gameshark.net/Saitek_P..._Stick_System_for_PC/5733/173?scid=saiteksite

Facebook :sigh: page says UK store has them available, posted yesterday. So theres some hope.

Last edited: 30 Apr 2014
  16. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

So the 21:9s work okay with the Obutto? If so, that may well be the route I go.

17. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

- Virtual reality holds the key to human evolution!
    - Virtual reality can make you smarter!

Ummmmm... maybe, r
    ift is pretty sick coupled with a hemi sync tone down at theta for long term memory access or what ever,

Also, desks.....and even sofas... are they going to be the place of rift gaming,

[​IMG]

If you had the perfect VR gaming headset and technologies, you would want a multi function "VR womb", isn't it.. that allows to you replicate a motor bike, a star wars speedo, or Falling, floating, flying.

imagine a wireless Rift in a cubed man cave in which you wear a magnetic limed suited which allows you to float like in an (water + lot of salt) isolation chamber.

Edit: It might be that the first person to come out with a killer compliment to the rift for the user to feel closer in game by being in position etc, will himself be a billionaire.

18. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I've never used 3, but I LOVE my 21:9 monitor!

3 for eyefinity makes sense because at least you are only pushing 7.5mp vs 11mp.

I'm slowly OCing my GPU so I'm at optimal speeds for the DFM.

19. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Yeah, they work as well as any other monitor i guess. The only 'niggle', and InsideSimRacing picked up on this also, is that the vesa mounts are 200x100 in size, they have the mounting holes for 100x100 and 75x75 (?) but most monitors these days have the monitor stand built into the monitor rather than onto it, so the plate and the screws which come with the monitor dont reach, so it just requires longer screws. But otherwise, its great.

I think had the 4K's been available, i'd have wanted to give that a shot, but run them at 1080P in games and hope the monitor scales it okay, then desktop stuff at 4K, but whats putting me off is general windows scaling. I think Win9 might be better suited for that, dunno.

My 290x wont post on my machine though, 270x is fine. A mate popped round earlier and he's going to try it on his and hopefully i'll know whether its DOA or i have an issue. Im hoping its DOA though, which isnt much fun really, but at least ive got time for the X55 Rhino to arrive and this 290X to be fixed before the DFM arrives. Not sure i'll be impressed with its performance in eyefinity mode, especially with a 270X :D

20. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder