1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Windows Star Citizen

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Parge, 10 Oct 2012.

1. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

My 2 x 670s had it licked... great performance for a single card mind.

2. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Yay! Remembered how to do this this time! :D

Teams True & Troyka have dropped out

Last edited: 3 May 2014
  3. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

As a side, I see war thunder has a nice update, this game is awesome and highly recommend,

I think this game easily sits in the top three alternatives whilst we wait for DFM.

4. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

My X55 arrived yesterday (no emails or nothing from them!), havent tried war thunder yet but the guys in my BF/SC clan have been and id imagine i'll give the stick a try in this and see what its like, not sure i'll be bothered about the game, but it'll be an excuse to have a play with the stick and see what WT is like too.

5. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Where did you order the X55 from? I thought Saitek weren't launching them here yet?

6. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

I posted all the info in the last page on Thursday.
    The saitek site links to the seller, gameshark or something, and on thurs it had 'preorder now', so i did.
    i looked for info as to when that might have started xos ive been completely out of the loop this last week with computer issues, and the saitek facebook page had an update on wednesday saying they had them available in the uk.
    got no emails, it just arrived on friday.

One thing the concerns me is just how big the bases are, they have a good 2cm overhang on all sides, so 4cm total, and im not sure whether to make a flight stick mount for my flight stick mount (!!) or use that grippy rubber mat stuff.
    i havent put the mouse-pad stuff on yet, and the base of the controller grips like hell to the bare metal (4 rubber feet on the corners) so i think it'd be reliable, but im not overly impressed that the item for my sticks is too small for it.

edit: just looked back, its in the post where i brought up the monitors and we start waffling on about em :D

7. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

I am downloading the DCS World thing to give it a try, its huge 9gb but apparently a must if your into flight and have a hotas.

Just bought a Track IR 5 with Track Clip Pro Bundle and Vector Clip Track IR 5 with Track Clip Pro Bundle and Vector Clip from the flightstore.co.uk

1x £139.99 (inc. VAT)
    Sub Total £139.99 (inc. VAT)
    Delivery £5.95 (inc. VAT)
    Actual Order Total £145.94 (inc. VAT)

Last edited: 4 May 2014
  8. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Dude, I don't think we need to know how much you spent and the VAT breakdown ;)

I'm not convinced on TrackIR yet. Ideally I'd like to use somebody's system and get hands on, but I've read a fair few problems with it, as well as an apparent ease of breaking the clips that hold the trackers to your head!

9. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

There's not been any info about retail launch, in terms of what you'll be able to buy. I have a suspicion they may only offer the single base copy of the game which comes with the Aurora ship, and everything else you have to do in-game. The pledge store is exactly that, early access to ships without grinding to get them, by paying to support development.

10. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

All ships will be available for purchase in-game with in-game money (well, with the exception of the Vanduul Scythe which you need to steal). It'd be stupid to have these ships as locked to backers.

11. PaulC2K

PaulC2K PC Master Race

Im not 100% sure about the base game including an Aurora, i thought i'd seen CR saying that you'll be able to do the SQ42 SP aspect to earn some money to buy a ship. So perhaps you dont get a ship, but by completing SQ42 you'd earn enough to be able to buy an Aurora type entry level ship? Unless that was just an example of something you *could* do, rather than how it'd be.

I'd imagine you'll be able to buy ships with cash from the store, but you dont need to spend real money to get more unless you wanted to.
    Think extremely expensive 'shortcut kits' like EA release, where you unlock content you'd otherwise have to earn in-game. But they're really priced at a point where they are donations towards development which come with a perk, rather than spending a couple of quid for in-game upgrades and being more pay-to-win orientated.
    You can already buy weapons from the 'Voyager Direct' store on the RSI website, priced below the $10 mark, but i really dont see them being something you'd keep buying to get an advantage, like short-term potions or something in MMOs.

12. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No, it has definitely been said that the Aurora is the basic starter ship that everybody has access to. Lose any ship and don't have insurance, you'll get the basic model Aurora back.

Saying that, they're now talking about the introduction of the Mustang Light Fighter, so you may be able to pick between those two.

Last edited: 6 May 2014
  13. Tichinde

Tichinde Minimodder

If you have insurance you'll get the ship you have insured back.
    You will lose carg, upgrades or optional extras you've fitted post ship purchase.
    If you ain't got insurance, you're on your own :)

14. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Right, let's deal in facts here.
    Yes, you can get your ship destroyed in game that you paid money for (it would be stupid if you were invulnerable). However, all ships originally came with lifetime insurance, and they now come with six months insurance. Further insurance can be purchased using in-game money, and they've stated it won't be a crippling amount.

You also can't just fly your ship out, get it destroyed, and ping, new ship in the hangar. For the more valuable ships there's actual production queues, so you may have to wait a bit. There'll be mechanisms to stop insurance being game'd by people out to take advantage. Yet the long and short is that you'll never actually totally lose your paid for ship.

Oh, and insurance can be obtained on in-game purchased ships as well. Think of how EVE does it and you're bang on the money.

As for the shop that sells weapons? It's funded in in-game currency (UEC), but we can't earn UEC currently as there is no game. As such, the cosmetic items it sells are purchased via cash converted in to UEC. The money gets added to the crowd-funded total.

Once the game actually launches (or reaches Beta), players will be able to earn UEC and hence not spend real money. The store will also get filled out with ship equipment rather than cosmetic things like fish tanks and posters. They're not going to have micro-transactions for anything other than cosmetic items.

15. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Don't forget the Mustang as a second starter ship!

16. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

This a freebie? Utterly fail at keeping updated on the SC front! :D

17. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

No, it isn't free. If you have an Aurora package you'll be able to switch it at no cost to a Mustang.

18. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Minimodder

Sorry I have to just say what's on my stupid mind.

I think the Aurora is such a beautiful ship that what they should do is lock every one into it for the first 2 months, let them just have to focus on that ship and getting stuff solid,

Credit where it is due the combat Aurora, the LN or what ever is really sexy, would be good to start every one off in the universe in dual controls ship. I have never been very good with two axis flight.

Any one disagree and just want their bad arse track or black hornet straight away or avenger?

What Im trying to say is, the Aurora deserves every ones 15minutes of fame, its a great design, in its crystal rendered lushness I would easily pilot it for months, would hate to see people skip over it.

What do you guys think about the Aurora? I'm totally sold on it, I bought one for a work chum (*gift) who was a 5 year EVE online player but packed it in, wanted to make sure he got in the verse.

They should open up the verse to the ships one by one, I don't even know is that what they are planning to do?

Also what a test bed this game is going to be for the rift, its going to really ask from the rift, the rift either dk2 or commercial is going to be fully utilized to the top of its spec?

Sorry for rambling

19. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

There'll be loads of Auroras flying around - there's plenty of people who haven't dropped big sums, and that's the only ship they have. There'll be others who simply like the ship and want to fly it.

I don't agree that they should restrict everybody to a single ship - it'll annoy lots of people who want to fly the ships they have bought. It also removes diversity; I certainly don't want to just be in Aurora vs Aurora fights for months.

However, there will be something of a gradual progression in ships anyway. The majority of backers will have the smaller ships (we're talking up to the Hornet/Avenger/300i level), and it's going to take time before we see people being able to afford to upgrade to the bigger Constellations/Banu Merchantmen/Starfarer etc. Yes, some of us are able to skip this step and jump right in at the higher levels, but it'll be a minority not majority.

20. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

Has this Mustang been built in the Hanger Module yet?

Might do a swap as I'm not that taken with the Aurora!