1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL Stupid things we've done without thinking

Discussion in 'General' started by MrWillyWonka, 1 Dec 2008.

1. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Scratched a man itch after cooking a highly jalepeno filled chilli. That's 15 minutes of agony I never, ever, want to repeat.

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I just had a shave, and was thinking the blade was dragging a little and I should get a new one; and then I realised I hadn't used any foam; knew it was one for this thread :duh:

For some reason when I'm just a little hung over, my brain doesn't fire on all cylinders.

3. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

My younger brother once in the middle of the night burst into my older brothers room, waking him up. When my older brother questioned what he was doing, my younger brother sighed, and said "I'm going to the toilet stupid!" before turning around and heading to the bathroom. Apparently he had no memory of it the next morning. Priceless!

We also once convinced someone (who shall remain nameless) that you could buy babies on eBay, and you could tell the quality of the seller by whether they offered to post the baby first class or second class. And in ancient Greece, all lesbians were rounded up and sent to the island of Lesbos, hence the name.

4. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

I regularly, while paintballing, lay heavy fire down a tapeline, reach back for a pod, open the pod and then pull it out of the harness. Pods being carried lid-down doesn't help much...

Other things i did include driving to my old place after moving, and upon getitng there wondering WTF the remote for the gate won't work.

5. KoenVdd

KoenVdd What's a Dremel?

When I was very young (5 or 6 maybe), there was a kids program on TV which I quiet liked. In the show they alway explicitly zoomed in on the number of the house they lived in, which was 101. I decided I wanted to give them a call, but hadn't quiet gotten the difference between a house and a phone number. Just so happens 101 is the police number in my country. Tho I was only a bit confused (I can imagine the operator was as well) my family decided to to take it a bit further and scare they living daylights out of me (or was that something else, maybe I'm mixing things up).

Also about the same age I once jumped into the swimming pool with my undershirt still on. It took me quiet some time to realize why everyone was laughing at me. Never worn an undershirt since.

About a year ago or something I answered the door "Hello, this is Koen Van den dries speaking" (translation)

I had another one but I forgot.

6. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Got to get a paper signed by my employer yesterday, took me more than two hours to get there - only to realise I hadn't changed the date in my template before printing once I got there. The boss almost pissed himself laughing. That's ok though, he's a nice guy.

In school there were countless times when I did my homework (only took a few min anyway), but then forgot to print it.

7. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I spelled my own name wrong on a job application. They even pointed it out at my interview.

I still got the job, though. :thumb:

8. knuck

knuck Hate your face

for some reason I plugged the power supply on the motherboard before I was done installing the heatsink on a brand new XP1800+. Obviously I had to be unlucky and the board just had to decide to post. Needless to say there was smoke and a foul odor of fail in the air ...

9. fev

fev Industry Fallout

glasses on top of my head is the usual one,
    *edit* i've left my cripple stick at work for 6 days on the trot now. Don't use it on the shopfloor so i leave it in the office. When leaving i always forget it until i'm on the bus

10. Red 5

Red 5 What's a Dremel?

I once wore my trainers to school, by accident I add, I was a good kid.

As a kid I used to go on bike rides with my mother, my friend and her mother. My mother was new to riding a bike and as we passed a lake surrounded by stinging nettles I started chanting "Mum's going to fall in the nettles! Mum's going to fall in the nettles!" etcetera, before then falling in the nettles myself.

Wondered why the key wouldn't turn in the work's car before realising I was in one of the director's. Same model, colour and year, and it was left unlocked.

Spent a couple of hours changing a CV boot for an MOT test damning the examiner for failing on a hole I couldn't even see, only to discover at almost the last minute that it was the offside inner boot that was split, not the outer. Luckily it was my own car.

Told a teacher that I attended a class moments after saying I didn't get to school until after it finished.

Got run over after spotting that the traffic was stationary at a roundabout with a bus at the front. I thought "Go now, because once the bus moves it's all moving". I forgot about the second lane of traffic. Happily I was able to bounce straight back up again and apologise to the driver. She seemed a little shocked but thankfully her daughter didn't see what happened. The next day I passed my driving test.

Several times when torquing down cylinder heads in more than one stage, I thought the figures were cumulative.

One that isn't my fault is that I keep being mistaken for staff in other shops. Sure I've worn a green polo shirt to Homebase and a black sweater to Poundstretcher, but even in white shirt and trousers I was mistaken for staff in Tesco. It's happened multiple other times too, but these are the examples I remember.

11. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

An ex-girlfriend and I had gone to bed pretty late, about 3am. I woke up at four and woke her up because we had arranged to go to her mothers house at three. "How the hell did we sleep for 13 hours?" Of course, we hadn't. This was Sweden in midwinter so 3am and 3pm look exactly the same outside. So after hurredly getting dressed we walked to her mothers house, shivering in the -15C cold and commenting to each other how quiet the town is today. When her poor mother opened the door to find us standing there looking apologetic (because we were "late") she panicked, thinking someone had died.

The most troublesome brain-stall I have though is always having to get climatized to a new girlfriend's name... It's very hard to make a believable excuse for having just said something like "Listen, Maauuurrrhhhbecca!"

12. twentynine

twentynine Can never win...

Great thread!

When I was six I woke my sister up when she was sleep walking because I didn't know any better....she screamed bloody murder for a good two minutes.

When I was nine I shot myself in the foot with a BB gun. I know...hows that possible? Honestly, I don't know. I was standing in my front yard looking up into the trees and my finger some how pulled the trigger. It took me a good 10 seconds to realize I shot myself. I threw down the gun, ran to my father in the back yard and ripped off my shoe to show him. I had the prettiest little hole right below to the left of my middle toe. Surprisingly it didn't hurt....no more than a needle from a shot anyway.

The other day I was cooking two different out-of-the-box side dishes. Parmesan noddles and some rice side my GF wanted to try. Both sides are a two step process, cook the noodles or rice first and then add the seasoning. Well I mixed up the seasonings...it wasn't until we ate them did we notice. Haha.

13. Matticus

Matticus ...

I am sure a lot of of you have done things like this.

Last night I was using gparted to create a 30gb partition to try different flava of linux on.

So I change 30gb of freespace at the end of my 500gb to a new partition to get me started (planning on doing the rest at the install stage), but what I actually did was not only convert 30gb of freespace at the end to a new partition, but I also changed the 1mb that was unpartitioned at the start to be at the end by accident.

So instead of just getting a nice 30gb partition, I ended up moving my whole 500gb along by 1mb as well. :duh: As you can imagine, it took quite a while.

When I clicked apply I realised what I had done right away, I let out a long and theatrical "NOOOOOOOOOOO!"

14. whisperwolf

whisperwolf What's a Dremel?

I remember when i was a young'un getting quite involved in a story around Christmas time, but was starting to feel hungry and wanted to go to the kitchen to ask for a snack but didn't want to miss the exciting bit of the story. It took my brain about 15 mins to realise i was reading a book and not watching TV, so I could put it down and come back later and the story wouldn't have moved on without me, hurrah for the primitive pause ability.

15. NeedlesKane

NeedlesKane You're a Dremel

I crashed into a parked car on my bike when i was like 11, the guy was sat in the car, all i can say thank god i can peddle quickly.

one time at work i was trying to open the cupboard we keep all the laptop repairs in and i couldnt get the key in, i tried for about 10 minutes until my boss just came over and slotted in first time.

16. Stickeh

Stickeh Help me , Help you.

I've actually done this on numerous occasions, i started reading the divinci code on the ferry to france in 2005, and about half an hour before we go there i gave the book back to my mother 'i've finished, your right its a good book'. I think that is the fastest i have ever read a book, EVER.
    That same summer i also devoured angels and deamons, and one of the others that i cant remember.

Did the same thing over christmas, reading my cousins 'walking dead:book one' ( zombie comic novel) and i finished it in 2 hours reading before bed, and then about half hour in the morning.

Again cousins couldnt believe it, but then this is the same people that said we'll give you fifteen minutes to eat that whole box of ice cream, i laughed and just said, why dont you just time it, and ate the box in 2 minutes, no brain freeze.

17. will.

will. A motorbike of jealousy!

Speed reading is a gift, but also a curse. In English lessons at school, I used to be miles ahead within minutes. It took me quite a while to figure out that I need to keep my finger on the page that everyone else is reading. Until then I used to get in trouble for not reading at all... Ironic :p

18. kingred

kingred Surfacing sucks!

instead of answering the phone this morning i spoke to my answering machine.

lack of food + no sleep = me not paying attention/slightly delirious .

19. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

Last night Coming home from my girlfriends i was really tired and just wanted to go to bed. As i was going up the stairs to get to my flat i was counting the floors that i was on and when i was happy that i was on the 3rd floor i went through the door and proceeded my front door. positive that i saw 11 on the door i then went to try and open the door my key wouldn't work. At first thinking i had bent it to much and wouldn't fit i looked at it multiple times only to then realize after 10 minutes that i was the floor below my flat and standing outside flat 8.

Chris

20. outlawaol

outlawaol Geeked since 1982

I furiously tried a combination on my work locker for a good few minutes, only to realize I was on the wrong one. :D