1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hardware The best way to clean your keyboard

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Sifter3000, 5 Jul 2009.

1. Fod

Fod what is the cheesecake?

I take all the keys off and give them a good soak in a mild detergent solution for a while. Wipe the rest of the keybaord down with some antibac wipes, then pop all the keys back on. One last wipe, done. Board looks pretty much as new after that. Takes a while, though.

2. cool_dude

cool_dude Active Member

Anyone find the letters begin to wear off after several washes? :p :(

3. Skiddywinks

Skiddywinks Member

I was hoping bi-tech would come up with an amazing and innovative method to cleaning keyboards, but it looks like I am sticking to the usual; just opening it up and cleaning every crevice with warm soapy water. Sure it takes a while (usually no more than quarter of an hour), but it is guarateed to be 100% clean at the end of it.

If I can be arsed, I get a small screwdriver and scrape the crap out from under the keys as well (which means taking each key off individually). While that takes a lot longer, I only do it every few keyboard cleans.

4. Flibblebot

Flibblebot Smile with me

Why the focus on antibacterial cleaners?

Not to sound like some crazed fool, but you do realise that this over-reliance on antibacterial products - something wholly created by companies like Unilever that produce said products - is probably to blame for the increase in allergies seen over the last 10-15 years?

I admit that a dirty keyboard doesn't look paricularly nice, but it's unlikely to be the cause of any serious infection. Short of a dust and a shake every now and then, I don't clean my keyboard at all, and I have yet to succumb to the keyboard plague :p

5. Devolve

Devolve Deadbeat

Do the shake and vac to put the freshness back!

6. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

Don't buy those Fellowes cans! They blow! (haha... :duh: )

Seriously, though. They don't produce enough pressure to do anything. You only get very short bursts from it because the boiling point of the liquid is too low. When the can cools down the liquid stops to evaporate.

PRF have some good products in this section, but they are a bit hard to come by apparently.

CRC also makes some, but I don't think i have tried it.

Just buy a small air compressor. (WITH a tank!) Works great, and is reusable as long as you have power. :)

7. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I tried the dishwash trick some time ago on my old old white Logitech Internet Navigator keyboard that needed desperate replacement. From white + disgusting dirty before the dish wash process. After the process it turned out to be this lovely yellow'ish white color that just says "Please, burn me, buuuurrrrn me!". But the keyboard was clean.

8. Neogumbercules

Neogumbercules New Member

I take off the top half of my boards and clean them in the bath tub with warm water and soap.

9. Otto69

Otto69 New Member

Windex glass cleaner, active ingredient Ammonia. Or 91% alcohol. Vaccum, not air pressure, for the dust.

10. oasked

oasked Stuck in the Mud

Elbow grease works best I find....

I've only cleaned my main keyboard once (fully), I took it all apart and cleaned each key individually with a sponge and detergent. I left it to dry and put it all back together.

The keyboard looked almost new afterward and of course, still works. It was a complete PITA to take it all apart though - something to do on a boring weekend. :)

11. Otto69

Otto69 New Member

Anyone tried diet coke? Since it has no sugar it's not sticky, and the phosphoric acid will clean anything...

12. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

the oils from your fingers make the most used keys shiny.

13. thehippoz

thehippoz New Member

the newer microsoft keyboards come apart pretty easy- even designed so you can spill water all over it and it'll run out the bottom.. the innards don't get wet.. they should design all keyboards like that

14. smajer

smajer what?!

I like the gas cans , always work to me

15. pullmyfoot

pullmyfoot superbacon

yeah if you think about it you can kinda just pour water onto it and let is wash out most of the dirt. Then just wipe the top with a cloth and viola.

16. alpaca

alpaca llama eats dremel

dont fool around, this was a great article, something nice and different from the usual hardware. i'll go clean my keyboard right now.

17. mystvearn

mystvearn any-may

You have a point with the alergies there. But then its not an excuse to not clean your keyboard.

18. mi1ez

mi1ez Active Member

"Naturally, when you’re talking about cleaning an electronic item, your first reaction isn’t to pop it in the dishwasher next to last week’s empty tea mugs and leave it for 60 minutes."

Reminds me of time my Nan washed her phone in a bucket of water and was miffed when it didn't work afterwards!

19. g3n3tiX

g3n3tiX Active Member

IBM Model M removable keycaps+hot water+washing powder (for clothes) = really clean.
    Shop air is nice (no condensation).
    95% Alcohol for the body and quick clean also does the trick !

20. Nicb

Nicb Let's discuss among ourselves

I always thought the canned air was such a waste of money. Blow dryer, Nice!

I have always washed everything in the sink. I maintain a light clean but eventually everything but my drives go in for a bath every 6 months.

Tags: Add Tags