1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News The end

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by bit-tech, 1 Nov 2021.

1. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Ok, I'll be that guy...

The end of the Hexus and Bit-tech main sites is committing both forums to a slow death. Unless any "replacement" sites become their front door, the forums will bleed users to the point where they lose any meaningful relevance to the remaining community and will likely eventually pass almost unnoticed.

I will be delighted to be proven wrong on this. No, really, I mean it.

Last edited: 3 Nov 2021
    The_Crapman likes this.
  2. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Sad to hear but I've probably used the main site only a handful of times in the past year whereas I look at the forums everyday, so not sure how much of a difference it'll make to me, I guess as David says if I'm the exception and as a result of the main site going people will stop using the forums then fair enough.

Tried hexus forums years ago but just naturally stopped checking it compared to here.

Pete J and Hex like this.
  3. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

Well, TalkPhotography and SpeakEV are two forum-only websites I also frequent for my other interest. I see no problem Bit-tech becoming a computer/tech forum-only website.

Same as George, I also frequent the forum more than daily but rarely visit the main site from its home page.

boiled_elephant and The_Crapman like this.
  4. Hex

Hex Paul?! Super Moderator

I'm much the same, I haven't really looked at the front page or the YouTube channel for a long time. But I read the forums, discord, and even the IRC channel (which I still own after RTT gave me the keys!) most days.

The_Pope, trigger and CardJoe like this.
  5. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've had a look at the data over the last few weeks and I think it'll be fine.

David, noizdaemon666 and Hex like this.
  6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

MLyons likes this.
  7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

So, the article comments sections don't drive significant traffic through the forum?

8. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Not massive. a lot of the article comments came from people already browsing on the forums

9. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

I've never seen traffic stats - not when I wrote here, not after - but I do know that the overwhelming majority of people who commented on my articles were existing forumites. I very, very rarely saw a site visitor sign up specifically to comment. Last guy I can think of who did that, in fact, was some Star Citizen nut who DuckDuckGo'd the topic and came to shout at everyone on any site he could find...

EDIT:
    Ninja'd!

boiled_elephant and Hex like this.
  10. enbydee

enbydee Minimodder

More recently the Microsoft Flight Sim review saw some similar one post wonders iirc.

11. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Yup, they exist all right :grr:.

12. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

Is that a good metric though? The website itself has been on life support since long before that, with only one or two articles per day.

My fear is a very slow death. Life happens. People leave, or people lurk. Without something to draw in new people, and inject vitality into the forum, activity will lessen and lessen. It is, admittedly, a slow process. It could take years, but it is inevitable.

13. MLyons

Most of our traffic
    Most forum traffic comes from old google searches of topics. Sure we could get more with more regular articles but I think it's fine

14. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

That slow site death thing could be slowed with the youtube channel. You built up 100+k subscribers, -we- shouldn't just let that end. Hopefully the current YT crew would be willing to contribute... :worried: without pay.
    The contests are of course dead, but @The_Crapman could possibly do a highlight reel of finished mods. @Maki role built that channel up from nothing. I find it hard to believe he would buy a new mill and start over, or abandon it altogether.

15. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm working on some form of motm. Although priceless for now, I could maybe stick voting in the forums and discord, but not sure if that would be allowed.

Cheapskate likes this.
  16. Locknload

Locknload Jolly Good Egg

You should just migrate your loyal plebs over to an instagram or youtube slot. It takes ages to get that sort of foot traffic. Find at bitzoftech@instagram....Go on, you know it makes sense.

17. acemodder

acemodder Official Antec Rep

shocking news. All the best to the guys at TMT many I know personally.

Otis1337 and The_Crapman like this.
  18. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Swinging the banhammer Super Moderator

I purposefully haven't commented on this thread yet as every time I try I can't seem to put into words properly how I feel about all this but here anyway goes.

Bit-tech has been a huge part of my life in one way or another for so long now. I know in recent times I haven't been posting like I used to (remember the 10,000 post madness of the Mechanical Keyboards thread?) but I've still been lurking from time to time and every time I come back to the forums it feels somehow like I've come home. I continue to be bowled over by the generosity of people on this forum - generous with their knowledge, their patience, their friendship and so often generous with their property too - more so than I would expect from people who, for the most part, have never met each other in real life. Just thinking back I have so many amazing memories from way back (Relix, rep bombs & cheesecake just to name a few). Of course it's not always been happy and we've lost some amazing people along the way. I often think back to being in contact with Alessandro's grandfather after his death and I still think of what he might be doing today. Even then the people of Bit-tech really rallied around, again showing amazing generosity, and raised so much money in his memory.

I think what I'm trying to say is that I am genuinely worried for the future of Bit-tech I am also genuinely hopeful because the people here make it what it is and I think that's the main thing we need to keep this old place alive and kicking.

Now, where's that dremel?

19. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I will be honest. Since Anthony left I stopped reading the mag and looking at the front page. I literally come straight to the forum. There are still plenty of us left posting here, so really I can't see how it will change all that much. Well, apart from Andy's funny take on reviews. Which hopefully he will do still.

Plus let's face it, since the Ryzen 5000 series there really wasn't sod all to review unless you really enjoy rubbing salt in wounds.

Most of the forums I post on now are a shell of their former selves. Most buggered off onto Facebook groups, now they don't even really bother doing that. It's only the die hards that remain, and tbh? you don't really lose much. Quality always reins supreme over quantity. I hope it's reins and not reigns. Sod it, send it...

20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

A moment for all those who we've lost. Alessandro, Terry and Wayne, someone who was a massive inspiration to me. I need a scroll saw in my life.

Pete J, fuus, Fizzban and 6 others like this.