1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other The iPhone 4 / iOS Thread

Discussion in 'General' started by GreatOldOne, 7 Jun 2010.

1. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

The old version of Skype does not support multitasking so when you return to the home screen the program exits. Skype iOS4 supports multitasking, so when you returned to the home screen you might have left it running in the background. That would suck juice.

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i think it's Skype's messed up implementation. they should be using push notification instead of having it run in the background. i am pretty sure it's not been fully suspended.

3. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Interesting that they are using an app for the free bumper. Also would have been nice for apple to, ya know, post it on their site in an easy to find place :S

4. Nexxo

Well, people moaned that the iPhone had no multitasking. Now you know why it didn't; it sucks juice.

Be careful what you wish for...

5. BioSniper

BioSniper Minimodder

Quickie update here, my free bumper has been shipped this morning even though they suspected 3-5 weeks. Must have got on that one quick enough! :D

6. GreatOldOne

GreatOldOne Wannabe Martian

Yeah - MrsGOO and I got our refund emails for the bumpers we bought on launch day at the weekend. :)

7. AshT

AshT Custom User Title

I managed to have a quick go on a friends iPhone4 at the weekend. It's fast and good looking.

But the interesting thing is that even though it is a launch model, and even though my blood was draining away from the pressure points in my hand (I was holding it so tight), I couldn't get it to drop more than 1 bar ...

So now I am going to be putting my order in for one! :thumb:

8. wyx087

i got the bumper refund cleared today :D (says online banking when i checked yesterday)

9. Nexxo

It varies. Sometimes I can make it drop four bars (which does not affect call quality one bit, and I'm not sure even data speeds are affected); sometimes I cannot get it to drop even one bar. In practical use it has been a non-problem.

10. GreatOldOne

They aren't - I've managed Approx 3Mbps down and 1.5Mbps up on one bar during speed tests.

As I've said before, much ado about nothing. But hey, thanks for the free case Steve! :)

11. GreatOldOne

Wow:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/26/u-s-government-to-explicitly-allow-iphone-jailbreaking/

12. NuTech

NuTech Minimodder

I just saw the same story on Engadget, interesting stuff.

Now the question is, does this set a precedent for other technology too? For example, could this lead to an exception for video game consoles to be 'jailbroken' (modded) so they can play 'unauthorised apps' (homebrew games)?

Also, do want.

13. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Hmm... That's interesting. The PSP is the other device that springs to mind with a large collection of homebrew available. Sony are always trying to stop people installing custom firmware onto PSPs.

Want.

14. GreatOldOne

Apple's reply on the DMCA / Legal Jailbreak - No probs, we wouldn't prosecute anyway. But it may* still void your warranty:

http://www.macrumors.com/2010/07/26/apple-jailbreaking-may-still-void-iphone-warranty/

*May = Most certainly will if we find out you've been dicking about with your phone off the Apple Reserve.

15. wyx087

simple: do software restore to unjailbroken status and before going to Apple store.

can't wait for a jailbreak, lack of date on status bar and lack of SBsettings is killing me

16. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

woop, i just got back from town with my new phone. now what do i do. lol.

17. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Had mine a few days now, like it quite a lot though don't really consider it much of a jump from my old 3G. The screen's my favourite bit so far, especially the higher resolution. As a lefty I just straight-up bought a Griffin case (black with transparent rear) and that's OK-ish; it looks fine though the rubber edging can get dislodged in your pockets.

Is anyone using a screen protector? I bought one to try, but literally could not get it to sit flat.

18. GreatOldOne

Have you activated it? If so, go get some apps. Use the camera. Shoot Video. Go nuts. :)

Nope. Can't stand them. Always feel wrong, and make the screen harder to read.

19. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

It's activated, and i've used the camera to take a pic of my GIANT birthday cookie.

20. GreatOldOne

Decent apps:

Star Walk
    Hullo Mail (If your carrier doesn't do Visual Voicemail)
    Doodle God
    Convert Bot (Unit Convertor)
    Red Laser (Scan barcodes in store, search for better deals elsewhere)
    Helsings Fire - Neat Puzzler
    ANGRY BIRDS - must have game