1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

SketchUp The MNPCTech Case Design Competition, part II: Scratch Build

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Xtrafresh, 14 Jan 2009.

?

This thread is made of pure:

1. Win

13.7%
  2. Win

14.7%
  3. Win

17.6%
  4. Epic design Win!

51.0%
  5. Cheesecake

55.9%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

-> John] that's the plan :) hopefully by the time I get moved in and get a workbench built ill have all the dimensions finished.. main problem points look to be the main res and the sheer length of the top plexi shell pre bending & I'm really reluctant to make a join in it and spoil the smooth finish that I'm hoping for :nono:
    Hopefully once I get the log under way Cheapskate will grace it with his presence and endless knowledge of plexi :lol:

2. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

He'll be all over it no doubt. Last I heard his internet connection got damaged somehow.

I will watch too.
    john

3. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

I thought of an idea for my logo, let me know what you think of it!

[​IMG]

Cookie to whoever guesses my inspiration first!

Last edited: 23 Feb 2009
  4. Sir Digby

Sir Digby The Supprising Adventures

Ah! :hehe: that's quite clever...

Mini?

5. Asulc

Asulc Minimodder

Sorry for not making it clear on how to get the cookie...it is all better now I think!

6. Scream

Scream Dr. Octagonapus

Yep, made it for a radiator, Im a pretty slow worker so heres my cut for today, made an extremely shotty Drive Cage, The radiator, a DVD/CD Drive, and some Watercooling Tubes.

Im gonna remake the drive cage with a bit more heart and GPU-Radiator tube tomorrow :D

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

7. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

looking good Scream.. nice and "buildable"

8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Prize Pool Update! :rock:

Added to First Place Prize Pool, 2/23/09

Brand new! Liteon 20x DVD Writer with Lightscribe DH-20A4H08C, donated by bit-tech member, jhanlon303 :thumb:

[​IMG]

9. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

Woah :jawdrop: nice one John!!

10. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

Well I just looked around what I could find from my archives and here they are :) They might not be as flashy as most of the entries so far, but all of these concepts have been designed so that they are as easy as possible to actually make... And actually the first and last concept has seen light in pretty much the form that was designed.

Project Eutanasia:

In this project the objective was to cram a full atx setup into a case that's as small as possible. The thing is that I tried to keep the case upgradeable, so swapping a motherboard wouldn't make the case useless... I had some more detail in the assemblies, but some of the nuts and bolts got borked while

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    The eutanasia text is cut into the aluminum and backlit with a cathode... There is actually enough room for a laptop hdd and I was actually planning to place an usb-hub in the back of it.

[​IMG]
    All of the tuberouting was also borked so I didn't fix it yet... But here you can see how tight it gets over the motherboard.

[​IMG]

Random Project:

I was going to make two fairly compact cases that would match... One fileserver with enough room for 4 hdds and a second one for the gaming rig. The upper case in this picture is around 105 mm high so you can get a feel of their size...

[​IMG]
    Both cases stacked...

[​IMG]
    The gaming rig open...

[​IMG]
    Some of the innards of the fileserver...

The Shell Project:

Here the whole idea of the case was to make it look seamless from the outside. All of the components were to be mounted on a removable tray that could be pulled out of the "shell" and placed in an alternate "test bench" if needed.

[​IMG]
    Here's the case next to an LG 24" TFT and the Eutanasia project case can be spotted from behind this one...

[​IMG]
    Picture of the tray sliding out...

[​IMG]
    The tray in the "test-bench"

11. HaoKi

HaoKi Lleno de anguilas!

I'm gonna try and see if I have time any spare time to cook something new up for this competetion :)

12. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

Wow HaoKi these are really cool. This makes me want to get on with my entry now.

13. Editor22

Editor22 E22 | Hex-Gear

@ HaoKi
    cool designs dude, Gotta say that the stacker is my favourite... would love to have a bash at one someday.

@ stuartwood89
    GO GO.. the more the merrier plus its just freaking awesome to see what people can think up

14. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Jeez, I look away from this thread for a week and some really good stuff comes down the tubez. Seriously tasty! :thumb:

15. bentleya

bentleya Lian Li Snail :)

Fantastic Work Guys :)

16. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

^^ This man speaketh the truth.

17. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

^What they said.:D
    I'm back, and my yard looks like an artillery range.

18. Xtrafresh

Xtrafresh It never hurts to help

wow, i've been away too long! Seriously great designs!
    Editor, your effort and dedication are clearly shining through, WHAT a case!
    Cheaps... you wacko... an atomic Tarantula with no apparent feet? Well, it looks the part, lets hope it wont take over the world after some russian builds it! :eeek:
    Scream, your design is simple, but i just love how low and elongated the case is! Really cool shape, and perhaps the design becomes a bit more spectacular if you accentuate the sheer length of it a bit more? I cant wait to see it done though!
    Haoki, damn, those two stacked machines look fine! Nice way to show up at a LAN :D

I did get some new idiotic ideas though! I decided that my old design is just not crazy enough, so i'm now planning something really outlandish... REALLY! John, you're gunna love this one. I can only hope to get it done before the deadline though...

I'll work on an outline for now, and post that when it's done :)

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Are you going to enter? You have some serious quality design ideas.

john

20. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I'm expecting something from you too, Nexxo.
    Since everyone else is posting their planned rigs...
    [​IMG]
    -This is very rough. I'm having trouble making it both interesting and functional. - 13"x24" box. The type of rads is still up in the air. This type doesn't fit, but the other swiftech type will.
    [​IMG]
    -I might as well post it in the hottest thread in BT to get feedback.:naughty:

[​IMG]
    -That other case got a little weird... I like the shape in the black area, though.