1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

I'm normally pretty forgiving and will give most things a series, but i just couldn't stomach it. Had the same problem with Veep and Parks and Recreation... I just don't have the time to invest in a series that doesn't pique my interest in the first episode.

2. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

Oh god thank you I'm not the only one. I think it's the American 'humour'. It just frustrated the crap out of me and wasn't funny.

3. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Holy crap. Thor: Ragnarok – Strongest Avenger/10

Loved every minute. A great film that doesn't take itself too seriously. Also, mad props for giving Skurge his due. I read that arc of comics as a child, and it somehow stayed with me. Very pleased to see it (and my man Karl Urban, who is criminally underrated in Hollywood) make it to the big screen.

Also, this movie in IMAX is practically required viewing.

4. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Only the Brave - 8/10

Firefighter movie based on a true story of the Granite Mountain Hotshots. This movie kept me entertained throughout, was like a emotional rollercoaster right until the end. Fantastic movie, Great acting, would highly recommend watching at least once.

5. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Terminator Genisys 1/10. Absolute drivel, this is definitely a film that really should not have been made. As I recorded the film I could fast forward through all the unnecessary dialogue of which there was much in the first hour which was how long I lasted. Then we had the usual and for me extraordinarily annoying and the main reason I watch so few films nowadays and that is casting all female parts with a young attractive girl who is usually into fat older men and will invariably be wearing anything that shows a bit or a lot of cleverage. Then we have the constant cocking if weapons, why?
    I could go on but enough to say this film ranks as an all time low from an industry that makes so few films I want to watch these days.

Last edited: 12 Nov 2017
  6. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

You’re absolutely right about Genisys. They took all the old canon from some of the very best sci-fi thriller films (the first two) and threw it away, peeing over all the continuity. Can’t believe someone thought it would be a good idea to make it.

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

Murder on the Orient Express [2017]: Hercules' Parrot/10

Much scenery chewing with, imo, little new, interesting or different enough to justify yet another adaptation of the source.

Branagh's accent also compelled me to re-watch this...

Monty Python and the Holy Grail: Knnnniggits/10

Last edited: 13 Nov 2017
  8. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I saw a trailer for The Orient Express when I saw Blade Runner but it just wasn't the same without David Suchet as poirot.

Decided to give it a miss.

Guest-16 likes this.
  9. Guest-16

Guest-16 Guest

YES. THIS.

No David Suchet, No Poirot.

Thor 3: Iron Maiden/10
    Lots of fun.

LennyRhys likes this.
  10. RedFlames

Even if you wanted the big-screen ensemble cast job, imo you'd be better served with the Finney/Ustinov films than this one.

11. johnnyboy700

johnnyboy700 Minimodder

Justice league - Not Terrible/10?

Wow, initial reviews say its not a disaster, so I can go see it without fear of feeling I've wasted some two and a bit hours of my life? Bu££er me, what ever next, a coherent policy on Brexit?

BTW, despite the quote (wish I could remember from whom in DC land) that post credit scenes were a Marvel thing, this one apparently has two, one of which is right at the end. Hope its better that the tail-ender in Thor Ragnarok.

12. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Paddington 2 - The most middle class film ever produced/10

Perfectly funny, perfectly harmless, no swearing, no real violence, suitably weepy warm cuddles at the end, starring several actors named Hugh. I left the cinema feeling compelled to speak correct and proper English.

I'll have to see something more sweary next.

LennyRhys, GeorgeStorm and Arboreal like this.
  13. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

Looks like we can take Granny along with us to see it :happy:. Nothing like see M in law wincing at swearing...

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Sounds great! :D

15. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

The DC cinematic universe really needs some better people involved behind the scenes. I don't have an issue with any of the casting, so far, but holy hell do they seem to have employed the cheapest monkeys they could find to do the grunt work. We're one out of three for 'good' and two out of three for 'eh'.

16. RedFlames

They need to tell Zach Snyder to GTFO for a start [imo].

17. liratheal

Indeed. I enjoy the films, but I feel like his involvement is not a boon to the franchise.

There feels like a waaay too heavy seriousness to the whole thing. And sure, Batman is darker and grittier than Iron Man, but goddamn. There are funnier characters. Even Supes is comparatively light hearted and on occasion 'funny'.

I feel like JL is going to rely on one-liner quips from Aquaman to 'lighten' the mood while everyone else broods in the corners.

Funniest film in the DCU so far is SS, and well, that's not funny for the right reasons most of the time.

18. RedFlames

To paraphrase a comment i saw elsewhere:

Batman versus Superman is a film about a dark, brooding, morose, figure with the self-imposed weight of the world on his shoulders topped off by their spectacular anger issues... having a fight with Batman.

For that matter, also inspired by comments elsewhere...

Why the hell is everyone mourning the death of supes and treating it like some soul-destroying tragedy? DCEU Supes was a character portrayed as divisive at best and actively feared/hated at worst... Most people would probably be celebrating the demise of a character like that - '*phew*, thank **** that city-levelling disaster-in-waiting is gone...'

19. liratheal

I think the majority of people saw supes for what he is - someone trying to help. I dare say there would equally be celebrations as well as the collective mourning. Sure, a super powered alien died, but in the context of the film he died trying to protect people from a bigger threat. Even if he is, imo, a sanctimonious dick.

20. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Atomic Blonde - EH/10
    I am seriously undecided about this film. I had somewhat high expectations, admittedly. I also somehow expected something else, though I am not sure what.
    That said - it's a pretty solid (if somewhat predictable) spy flick set in the late 80's. It's pretty violent at times, which I don't mind, and some of the plot points are "blink and you'll miss it" (so don't watch it - like I did - with the wife that starts talking about unrelated things when she's bored... and then wonders what's going on in the film).
    It's not bad, but certainly doesn't stand out as amazing in my books.