1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

Wrath of Man - 7/10

The opening 20-30 minutes of dialogue is baaaaad. But still not bad overall. Scott Eastwood has just few enough lines that you can forget he can't act his way out of a wet paper bag. Raul Castillo popping up again wasn't a bad thing, although he was hardly centre stage, so.

2. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

3. Squallers

Squallers Meat Puppet

Nobody - 8/10

Very enjoyable. Basically a slightly less ridiculous John Wick with better acting/soundtrack.

goldstar0011 likes this.
  4. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Psycho Goreman - 7/10

Was not expecting to enjoy it but did enough to plan a 2nd viewing, need more of these cheese horror films

5. LennyRhys

LennyRhys Fan Fan

The Tomorrow War 5/10
    I'm being generous, but the VFX in this movie is outstanding and deserves 5 points on its own. Everything else is pitifully derivative, so it's best either not to pay too much attention or have some alcohol (or both).

6. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've been struggling to finish it.

LennyRhys likes this.
  7. davvy76

davvy76 Minimodder

The Conjuring 3, aka Scooby Doo Doo.

8. liratheal

The Hitman's Wife's Bodyguard - 7/10

Selma Hayek carried that film. Dumb fun though. Not quite more of the first but also more of the first.

9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Black Widow 6/10 okay marvel action fair, the crappiest thing i found in is the crap cgi explosions it jus looks terribly fake ive seen crap b movies that does them better, ray winstons crap accent and they missed a trick with with red guardian as obviously he is a russian so has to be a clown not be anything like a "normal" american super hero

Peter Rabbit 2 7/10 not close to being as good as the first film but still manages to be funny

10. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Tenet: Confusing/10

Glad I watched this film, but bugger me it's impossible to understand.

11. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Saw it at the cinema, but I still need to watch it again. I enjoyed it but I couldn't decide if it was far too clever for me or if it had one or two massive plot holes.

d_stilgar likes this.
  12. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

This. Its either so damn obvious, or its way over my head.

13. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

I think the director did too.

I feel like they could have just left the ending implied and I would have been more than satisfied. Like "hey we got the poison, and we know where to find them, let's go! *fade to black*. Instead, realising that they already had two hours of movie behind them, felt like they took some serious liberties with my suspension of disbelief and rushed in a conclusion. Like when the frick did they drill dozens of explosives into the ground around the crater, and how did they have time to plant dozens more around the ship in all of 30 seconds?

That said, I still enjoyed it. It wasn't good, but it was fun

LennyRhys likes this.
  14. Krikkit

Krikkit All glory to the hypnotoad! Super Moderator

I agree on Tomorrow War - it almost felt like they'd written it as a pair of films then tried to condense it together.

Still worth a watch, but cramming too much in takes it from being in the same kind of novel sci-fi as Live/Die/Repeat etc to B-level watchable.

I'm still totally undecided on Tenet as well... It definitely feels like I'm either over or under-thinking it.

LennyRhys likes this.
  15. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

My stance is that if a film requires thought to be enjoyable, it's failing as a film; many of the most thought-provoking films (2001, Interstellar, Primer, ExistenZ, etc. etc. etc.) are perfectly enjoyable if you apply no thought at all. The basic character arcs, set pieces, cinematography, and so on should give even a total imbecile viewer something to savour. If they don't, then the cleverness is all the film has going for it, and it's failed on all other levels.

But y'know that's just, like, my opinion, man.

Pete J and LennyRhys like this.
  16. liratheal

I'm not against clever films, but the same way horror films have degenerated into jump scares telegraphed by one of those airport guys with the neon batons, 'clever' films seem to have degenerated into 'how many times can we make people go 'huh' by showing stuff in a weird order?' like the objective is to make the viewer feel like a dunce.

I blame Cloud Atlas.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  17. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You just described "Arrival".
    In Arrival, all the "flashbacks" are actually "flash-forwards" in reverse order, as learning the alien language instills non-linear time into the linguist's mind, enabling the films final trick.

18. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

Arrival is such a great film.

19. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I disagree, because...

... I did not feel like a dunce while watching Arrival. Arrival is a brilliant film IMO, and the artistry in that film is stunning - the cinematography, the framing of shots, the sound design, the lighting... It's an absolute spectacle and I really really regret not seeing it in the cinema. I can't wait to see what Denis Villeneuve has done with Dune.

Hamfunk and IanW like this.
  20. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Makes note to rewatch Arrival