1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Agree re: the first Kingsman. I liked it. It was dumb and hammy, and too gory for my tastes, but still very entertaining.

I don't watch sequels to films like that, because the sequels are always tripe. Nobody really believes that Transporter 2, or Taken 2, or Tremors 2, or The Babadook 2: The Babadooking will actually be good, do they? Those films are flash-in-the-pan silly genius. You can just feel it in your bones when a film really, really does not have the raw materials for a sequel.

2. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I thought that about John Wick. But I thoroughly enjoyed all three John Wick films! :grin:

3. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

TBH I reckon they achieved the impossible, and that was pleasing every one who watches it. It had plenty for older folk like us, whilst at the same time appealing to kids now. IMO? it's the best one made. I will admit I loved the first two when I was a kid. More because they were cool than being great movies. Like, you compare something like the originals to The Goonies? it's clear what was the better movie. By far. This? something old, something new, and had a bit of a whiff of The Goonies about it too.

So yeah, they nailed it IMO. I couldn't have asked for anything more.

4. IamJudd

IamJudd Multimodder

Ivan Reitman passed away last night... Glad he got to work with his son on Ghostbusters as his last project. We probably won't get the sequel to Twins now...

5. boiled_elephant

Actually yeah, same on both counts. It's the exception that proves the rule, though, isn't it? Along with the Mission Impossible franchise. It still seems like some sort of elaborate hoax or mass hysteria that all the MI sequels have been so bangin'. I keep expecting to wake up from a walking dream and suddenly realise that they're actually crap.
    I had to google him. The real question is, will we get a sequel to Kindergarten Cop?

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I have uncontested control of the screens for the next few days, so can report back on the following:

The Big Short - shaky ground/10
    Not as impenetrable as one might think, given the subject matter; might be interesting for those who wondered what all the fuss was about/how it came to be allowed to pass. A moral indictment.

The Loft - needs tidying/10
    As pointed out to my parents, a totally economical and practical idea. I would get one were it not for the fact I would have no time available to spend there. Or I would just take my Xbox there regularly if I did get five minutes, instead of putting the effort in to chase a procession of lucky ladies. Back to the story though - it struggled to find a novel twist, although it did try and was still watchable as a result, but given some in the room talked most of the way through it and it was still possible to follow the story, that kind of says it all.

The Losers - comicbook fun/10
    Second time through and although I don't remember it as fondly as the first, it was good to see Neegan, Cap and Gamorra in very different roles to their current mantles. Certainly watchable nonsense fun.

Last edited: 20 Feb 2022
  7. Big Elf

Big Elf Oh no! Not another f----ing elf!

I've just finished watching Reacher Season 1.

I'd initially planned to watch it as and when over a period of a couple of weeks but instead watched all of them in 3 days. I really enjoyed it and although some of it was unbelievable (allowing Reacher to play a significant part in the investigation pretty much from the off) I was happy to suspend disbelief due to all the plot twists and turns and found it entertaining.

I now also have a 'thing' for Willa Fitzgerald.

I really hope they do more Seasons.

IanW and LennyRhys like this.
  8. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Mate - this started to happen after episode one and was firmly cemented in by the end of the second (which is all I've seen so far).

Even though she reminds me slightly of a more prestige-brand Ruth Ozark...

9. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

They are, but without Roscoe, which is understandable

10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

You're in for a real treat then

LennyRhys and mrlongbeard like this.
  11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Demolition Man - Is it cold in here?/10

Sylvester Stallone and Wesley Snipes go to sleep in 1996 and wake up in 2032. It's big, it's dumb, and it sure as hell isn't clever... but it it's fun.

Although I'm getting the same vibe now that people who grew up with Back to the Future 2 probably had in 2015. This film came out in 1993, and at that point the year 2032 felt like a long time away. The last time I watched this film it felt like 2032 was a long time away. These days it really doesn't feel like 2032 is that far away!

Also: Sandra Bullock is right alongside Keanu Reeves and Ming Na: she just doesn't age...

LennyRhys and Pete J like this.
  12. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I think it's a little more clever than you're giving it credit for :grin:.

And I still don't know how to use the three seashells.

13. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

[​IMG]

Byron C, IanW and Pete J like this.
  14. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Think I was happier when it was a mystery.

LennyRhys, legoman, IanW and 2 others like this.
  15. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

nope, suffering is an experience best shared.

legoman and Pete J like this.
  16. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

The Power Of The Dog-slow burn/10

This is set in 1920s cattle country, with two brothers who are night and day. It's a slow paced film, which means you will have the wrong idea about everyone until the very end (like literally the last 15-20 minutes.) If you like period pieces, Westerns, or mind****s then you are in luck.

boiled_elephant likes this.
  17. boiled_elephant

Adding that to my list, then...

18. Xir

Xir Modder

Wait till you see a car do a Tarzan-vine-swing :grin:

19. Xir

Xir Modder

Ah, this was called "Cash Truck" in Germany...

It wasn't that bad, just not the fast-and-funny-action-romp that Guy Ritchie used to be good at.

The Vault - 6/10 (original Way down)
    A very constructed story, but watchable if you like Heist stories. Technically wrong on many details though.

Pete J likes this.
  20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Demolition man: Sandra bullock in uniform/10

yup, still good after all these years, oh and Dennis Leary still makes me laugh.

IanW, Pete J, LennyRhys and 1 other person like this.