1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

The old CPC and Bit-tech Battlefield 3 server by MPUK

Discussion in 'Game Server' started by wyx087, 2 Nov 2011.

1. robump

robump Minimodder

Is the voting done through the chat?

2. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

yes, when voting is active, you will see it in chat, and vote using "/1" or "/2" and so on.

3. Tibby

Tibby Back Once Again

Is the platoon full of active members? Can't join as it's full! :(

4. Stewb

Stewb What's a Dremel?

Do you guys mind if I join the mumble server but don't talk? I don't have a mic in the first place but also it would be a bit weird to talk (am at uni...). I really want to have some good games with teamwork though and even if you just order me around I won't mind :thumb:

5. wyx087

the more the merrier. you could always reply using in-game text. :thumb:

platoon is full unfortunately. to be honest, it's not a big deal, the platoon system doesn't do much at all.

6. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

You've dropped yourself into it now...;)

Edit: I also squased Dweller in the tank yesterday, was quite spectacular...

Jumped off the edge of a ledge and landed right on top of him...^.^

Last edited: 24 Jan 2012
  7. nchhabs

nchhabs www.twitch.tv/dracaXL

Horrible team balance for a number of games tonight. The autobalancer needs to be looked at. Constantly stacks colonels on one side and lower ranks on the other in consecutive games, very frustrating as if you're a good player who switches to the losing side, you don't want to play in a team with people who can't tell their ass from their gun.

8. wyx087

there are a number of balancing factors can be used. currently it's using score of previous round. it does work somewhat, not perfect, but works most of the time.

perhaps use persistent online data? like all-time SPM, or player total score? all time KDR?

9. nchhabs

To be honest it's patchy at best, I think ideally it should balance squads, not individual players. The real advantage is voice comms - if you've 15 randoms and 1 Mumble guy on 1 team, and 6 mumble guys and 9 randoms on the other, 99 times out of a 100 the voice comms saturated team will win. If you balance by squads, odds are you will have even numbers on voice comms per side - but this has its own problems of course, if one squad has four very good players in it, it could become hard to match the various metrics up. All time KDR and SPM are important as well I think, and squad score bonus. If it's possible to use squad score bonus that is highly indicative of teamplay - e.g. squad score bonus / time played.

I mean ultimately if you don't mind losing it's not an issue, but for me it's just such a grind to be top-scoring on the team and lose six games in a row due to a shite autobalance system which has stacked 10 level 6-22 colonels on one side, with level 12 newcomers on the other.

Last edited: 26 Jan 2012
  10. wyx087

as i said on mumble, being high level colonels mean nothing on Battlefield. like, in the Sharqi Peninsula round at around 10 oclock, the team with less than 5 high level players won against the team with more than 10 colonels.

you probably just had a bad night, jumping in/out of the game every round sure doesn't help your chances. the fact that teams get balanced after each round is way better than other servers where teams are stacked every round.

unfortunately, there is only one selection for balancing metric, so pick one?

11. nchhabs

Leave it as it is I guess, if there's only one metric you can balance by that's the issue in itself; squad score bonus / time combined with SPM per squad would be the ideal way to balance if it were possible to do so. Perhaps in an updated version of the plugin they will allow us to utilise more metrics.

12. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

When does the server typically come alive?

Almost every time I check, it's empty. If not, it's usually full - or has like two guys in there messing about...

I used to always play on the BC2 server, but it seems like the BF3 one isn't as reliably populated.

13. nchhabs

Generally people start hopping on around 7.30pm and leaving around 11.30pm. There's usually 8-10 regs on Mumble that occasionally 'tour' other servers so hop onto the Mumble server (see Wyx's (Wuyanxu's) sig for details) if you want to join in :)

Last edited: 29 Jan 2012
  14. Fordy

Fordy Minimodder

Awesome, thanks.

15. MrDomRocks

MrDomRocks Modder

Yup, if it's quiet we mess about untill server starts getting ful again. Some fun has been had when it's quiet and only CPC guys online xD

16. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

This is because, it takes about 4 of us to get it started, then when we do, more people join very quickly, and within about 30 minutes its full.

17. nchhabs

Found this useful guide which might be worth adding to the server details post at the beginning of the thread, hehe: http://imgur.com/a/9lBaJ

18. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Probably won't be on for a while, I left early last night as I felt like ****..

I didn't get any sleep last night, was up with blurry vision, a banging headache, knees felt like iron and lips were burning (Fudge knows why..)

I really feel like crap...

So probably won't be seeing many of you for a while...and I just unlocked the magnum...:(

19. Jester_612

Jester_612 "Jammy..."

I Have, a Cunning Plan

For this squad and voip channel synchroniser, I found a BF2 implementation I thought Multiplay could port, it's MuMo.

This uses Mumble clients to scrape the context of the user, and sends it to Murmur, where MuMo does the work.

I could do with the help of an admin to... find... some more... information. I'll be happy to talk in depth on Mumble.

At this point, I'm not sure on the feasibility of it all, so don't get your hopes up. However Multiplay are working on a TeamSpeak / TeamSync implementation.

20. nchhabs

Yeah, the TeamSync implementation is looking most probable at this stage. Unfortunately Multiplay (while they have some talented staff) make excuse after excuse despite TeamSync being perfectly easy to install. Almost every other major provider gives people this option, and Multiplay's 'justifications' were refuted by the main coder behind TeamSync himself in the thread you linked. The odds of them putting in the work to port MuMo are very low :(.

Nonetheless, I'm continuing to bump the Multiplay thread, and I encourage other CPC/Bit-tech members to post there to demonstrating their support. The more people Multiplay sees that are interested, the more likely they are to get off their ass.

Thanks for the info though Jester, appreciate it.