1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress The Razor's Edge

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Iraklis Gkolios, 2 Dec 2014.

1. nmil

nmil What's a Dremel?

If you were welding it couldn't you make the fill piece slightly smaller and fill int the gaps round the side using the welder. I'm not sure how easy it would on the TIG, but on the MIG it's super simple. Love the build btw:thumb:

2. Iraklis Gkolios

Iraklis Gkolios Minimodder

Its very easy to fill the gaps, but i want to keep welding to a minimum because the heat expands the metal and some mm movement to one place means a lot of mm movement somewhere else

3. Cown

Cown Minimodder

Looking good, nice design :D

How heavy do you reckon the beast will be?

4. Iraklis Gkolios

At the moment the weight is around 10Kg. I think that the overwall weight with hardware and case stand will be around 20kg

Today i bought some filler to work witht the gaps of the case. I did some sanding the case so i think that it will be easy work there.

[​IMG]

The result came out pretty good i think that with the final sanding and primer the welding will be invisible.

[​IMG]

I also had some time to work with the other radiator bracket,though i only drilled the holes.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Iraklis

5. Gurt11

Gurt11 What's a Dremel?

Véry cool design!

If you're looking for sleeve material, maybe E22 (http://www.e22.biz/Tools.aspx) can help you along. Much nicer than paracord imo, more like the MDPC-X finish.

6. Vognen

Vognen Minimodder

Just go on ebay and search for parachord. I bought about 35 meters for 10 £ :thumb:

7. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

This Company gets mentioned here a lot. I have no clue what's best for your region. Like Vognen said, Just Google 550 paracord.

8. Iraklis Gkolios

Thank you for the replies, ill definetly check paracord sleeving since they seem cheap and with a good quality. I have checked also e22 and they are a strong candidate!

This is my first idea of how the case stand is going to look. The PSU, HDD and SSD will be mounted on the stand and the ill use the rest of the case as a ''lid'' on top of the stand. I dont know if i described it well but i hope you will get an idea from the render.

[​IMG]

Sorry for the bad quality of my rendering but this is my very first try in rendering. Ill check in the future some guides to improve me renders quaility.

9. Iraklis Gkolios

I found some time today to work with the 2nd radiator bracket. This one also need some minor trimming.
    [​IMG]

I also found my old i/o bracket and used a paint stripper spray to remove the old paint.
    [​IMG]

Tommorow ill assemble the whole case and ill start the cleaning.

Cheers
    Iraklis

10. Iraklis Gkolios

I finished the welding of the case, now the most painful phase of the build starts. I need to perfectly clean the whole case from welding and filler leftovers. I want to have a crystal clean surfuce before i start primming.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The next step is to start working with the case stand and my Dummy PSU to prepare the case for the hardware installment.

Cheers
    Iraklis

11. Iraklis Gkolios

My new psu has arrived, this is a full sized corsair ax1500i psu dummy, that i am gonna use during the worklog.

[​IMG]

I also used an old motherboard to get a small grip of how the hardware is going to look.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Iraklis

12. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

I have a corsair PSU just like that.:lol: I shouldn't have voided the warranty.

13. arduum

arduum Minimodder

I like your corsair!

14. Impeccable Logic

Impeccable Logic What's a Dremel?

At first glance I thought the paint stripper part was a 3D print gone wrong. :hehe:

Enjoying your build.

15. Iraklis Gkolios

I am glad that you like it, after many years of saving money i finally managed to buy one.

Welcome to the ride :)

I am slowly starting to think what color to paint the case. The strongest candidate is a Pearl white finish with black and red details. I know thats a pretty common colors choice, but who cares, maybe ill change my opinion later:p

Cheers
    Iraklis

16. Iraklis Gkolios

Today i had some time to work with the 2nd endpiece of the case. Sanding body filler came up to be trully relaxing job.

This is not the final look ill do more sanding before the paint.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Iraklis

17. Iraklis Gkolios

Today's progress.

I managed to make the weldings invisible with some sandind. The result was so smooth that ill need to sand it with a lower grit sandpaper to make it rough for the primer to hold

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Iraklis

18. Iraklis Gkolios

As you can see today was a different day, instead of doing something that will add more weight to the case i decided to work with the bottom cut out.
    [​IMG]

Tommorow ill propably work with the bottom piece and redo the motherboard hood piece

Cheers
    Iraklis

Last edited: 23 Dec 2015
  19. Iraklis Gkolios

Christmans progress today.

I managed to complete around the 90% of the case. Now the only piece missing is the case stand and some minor pieces like reservoir holders etc.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

On the following days i am gonna work on some case stand ideas and try to decide which one i am gonna use.

Cheers
    Iraklis

20. Iraklis Gkolios

After many trials and errors i end up with this PSU mounting position. Keep in mind that that's a full size Corsair 1500i dummy, one of the biggest PSU's in the market, so i think that ill be okay with whatever ill throw inside.

[​IMG]

Cheers
    Iraklis