1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Are these options for that particular game or is this options in the Rift app?

2. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

In game options. So where you can, I would use 2.0 super-sampling, but if frame rates become choppy, then reduce this until you get a smooth experience. :)

3. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks. As yet I have not had the tine to take it fir a proper spin. I want to reposition the sensors by mounting them and it is not particularly comfortable wearing by glass which can steam up. I have an appointment with my optician later this month after which I will then be able to sort a prescription lens insert out.
    When I get my $15 I will put it towards the Echo game as everyone seems to rate it.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

So no consensus of opinion on which company I should buy my lenses from?
    WidmoVR
    VR lens-eu
    Lens-lab

5. Bagcharge

Bagcharge What's a Dremel?

I wear glasses and looked at all of the choices and went with VR lens eu,the lens took about 10 days turn around.Fitted them and been very happy with them.

IanW likes this.
  6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Thanks.

7. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I am going to add a third sensor and although I know it can get plugged into a USB 2 port of which I do have one spare, I am wondering if I can add another USB PCI-E card to my PC?

8. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

If you have a spare slot of the correct type for the card (PCI or PCIe) then just plug it in and go. If there's no spare slots, you'd have to use an external hub. - or if the motherboard has an unused internal USB header, you could just get one of those expansion slot backplate things. I've used multiple PCIe USB cards in motherboards before without issue.

9. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I do have a spare slot, hence my question. But if things work fine with the spare USB 2 then I will probably leave it at that. Thanks.

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Can anyone please indicate the best place to set each of the three sensors I have, though awaiting the third to arrive, in this poor attempt at my room plan.
    I am thinking wall mounting would be best. At the moment I have one above the wardrobe and one on the cupboard opposite but that does mean the are about 12 feet apart.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: 15 Mar 2018
  11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

You can add as many PCIe USB cards as you wish. But make sure to install them into PCIe x1 slots, rather than x4 or x16 slots on your board, otherwise you start using the PCIe lanes from the CPU rather than from the chipset. So in other words, your GPU will drop to running at x8 rather than x16 lanes if you install them into a x4,x8,x16 slot.

I'll edit your pic with where to install the sensors in a mo.

EDIT: Question - Do you want to be able to sit down at the desk whilst using VR as well as in your play area?

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have 4 PCIe x 1 slot so that is OK, i am not sure i will use another of the expansion cards you advised in an earlier post as I had a bit of trouble getting the drivers to up date and research has shown that Windows should have recognised the card and installed better drivers than the Inateck ones.

As for your question I certainly would like to sit down in the play area as I note a lot of games do not require a great amount of movement from my legs.

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Windows 10 is the problem with USB drivers, as you can't go to Intel etc to install USB drivers etc, as the support is through Win 10.

So here's how to sort out any issues with the USB Card. (I would not recommend buying a cheap PCIe USB 3.0 card, as you will have endless problems. The Inatack card with the Fresco chip has been officially support by Oculus. Unless you want to spend £60 on a PCIe card, which has two host controllers, uses a x4 slot, which means you can connect 4 sensors to it, then here's the link https://www.amazon.co.uk/Startech-P...424&sr=8-15&keywords=usb+3.0+pci+express&th=1

Otherwise, use this to install the generic USB host controller, which will sort out your problems.

[​IMG]

As to your room setup, I would look at the two setups below, and decide for yourself which suits your play space needs.

[​IMG]

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I think that after much research I am going to buy a more expensive USB PCIe expansion card as the Inateck definitely has issues, I can be green across the board one day then have red warning on my Oculus devices the next a not uncommon problem.
    Thanks for the detailed driver installer though.

As for your sensor placements:
    First one, My PC is on a massive desk filched from an office refurb and fits in the alcove perfectly so that cannot be moved.
    The second one: Is almost I have almost tried with the to sensor set up and The oculus moaned about not having enough play area.

How about one to the left of the PC, another between wardrobe and window and the third on the diagonal wall between bed and inbuilt cupboard?

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I might need to do that with my DK2. It all set up and calibrated perfectly on my old board. Now? doesn't matter which slots I put the USBs into it refuses to detect one or two USB and I can't calibrate or centre the headset because of it.

I can't remember what USB controller the MSI I have now uses, but that does sound familiar.

16. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

It's not the card itself (Unless it is defective) but windows 10 and the power managements. Trust me, I've spent a long time sorting this out, and the above fixes the issues.

If your Oculus app is showing up red on the sensors, go to device manager and you will see your host controller is being flagged up, as not working. All that is to do with is Windows 10 not loading the driver's properly. A restart will fix that issue. Honestly, Win 10 has been a pain in the ass across the board for tablet owners, laptop owners, to us ever since Microsoft decided to migrate drivers into the OS, to make it more plug n play.

17. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I appreciate what you are saying but hey I have PPI money to spend so I might as well get a better card which I possibly should have done in the first place. That Virtual Reality Oasis bloke on Youtube recommended by someone here has/is proving useful.

18. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

Windows 10 handles drivers just like Windows Vista, 7 and 8/8.1 did: you can either download drivers yourself and install those, or let it pull a (generally older, depending on when the manufacturer last sent Microsoft an updated version) version through Window Update. This applies to USB host device drivers just like any other driver (e.g. GPU drivers), with the exception of manufacturers who will provide one driver on their website and a separate driver with a higher version number via Windows Update, but that has been the case since Windows Vista, and is still one setting toggle to disable.

19. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Three adapters for my Rift one of which I have fitted just to see how it went. Guy over on OCUK made them for the princely sum of a fiver including p&p. Have ordered lenses which might take a while as they are coming from the States.
    [​IMG]

20. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Getting so bored with this now. No matter where I place the sensors it is never good enough.
    There has to be a simpler way to set up the sensors particularly when adjusting the angle as you would have thought that the movement could be replicated on the desktop monitor.

I have wall mounted them and I am not moving them now no matter what the set up says about my play area's size as no matter how big I get it by moving furniture around the room and at 64 that is not fun it still is not happy..

Now I find that it stutters or judders or whatever the correct term is when I move my head. It did not do that with only two sensors.

Does the third have to be in a USB slot 2 slot as that is what is shown in the Sensor Communication Test screen. I have them all in USB 3 and wondered if that had any bearing on the stuttering? Arizona Sunshine is pretty much unplayable at the moment.