1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays The VR thread

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Parge, 10 Apr 2013.

1. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I'd say try whichever sensor is closest to the PC to a USB 2 slot - It's more likely a USB bandwidth issue with all 3 sharing a single controller.

2. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

3. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

That USB card has 4 host controllers, so bandwidth is not the issue here.

Bandwidth is not the issue, nor was it when you had the inatech card, if you followed my advice.
    Depending where you've mounted the sensors with the distance between each one, and any sun reflection from windows directly onto the sensors can cause tracking issues, as well as reflective surfaces.

4. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

I have tried every USB port set up on my PC and the issue remains so I do not think it is a USB problem. I tried it with only two sensors, no change. There are no reflective surfaces to cause any issues.
    I uploading the Oculus logs to the Oculus forums in the hope of some help.

5. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Maybe you should upload where you've mounted the sensors on your floor plan?

6. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Pretty much where you had them placed in your second floor plan. Right one is nearer the right window and back one is over the bed.

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Where's your PC to the sensors? in the window??
    When you ran the sensor setup, were all of them showing as OK and showing USB 3.0 on all of them?
    When in the setup with your touch controllers, did you map that the sensors are away from the PC? (If your PC is in the window)
    So when you scan the area with the touch controller, did it go red, and stop vibrating at any point, and then continue to scan as you was mapping out the play space?

EDIT: how many USB extension cables are you using?

8. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

1, Yes
    2, Yes
    3,Yes
    4, No
    5, 2

I just tried the Inatech card to rule out an problem with the Startech card and the issue is unchanged.

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

What have you got plugged into the Startech card, 3 sensors and Headset?

The extensions you're using, is one per sensor? and they're the Active 5m ones I linked to you?

EDIT: When using the Inatech card, what did you have connected to that?

10. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Only two extensions and yes they are the ones you linked to.
    I have only two sensors and the headset plugged into the Startech.

11. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I'd plug all the sensors into the Startech card as each sensor gets a host controller to itself, and try the headset on the card too.

So when you're in your play space with the headset on, do you look at the PC or the wall with the 2 sensors on, as your forward view?

EDIT: this guide will help with setting up 3 sensors, and how the sensors tracking distance.
    https://www.oculus.com/blog/oculus-roomscale-tips-for-setting-up-a-killer-vr-room/

12. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

Last bit looked at that but did not find it added anything to what I have as I am well within the boundaries. I do so love the bit at the end: "We hope this inspires you to try out some new configurations at home!" absolutely as I so want screw holes all over my walls.

But I have sorted it and I am not sure how, but it occurred to me that perhaps I was too close to the front sensors and turned my head after stepping back so that the rear sensor could see me so to speak, there was a little wiggle on the mask and everything is not rock solid.

Someone was going to get a bargain tomorrow if I could not have sorted this as the days of enjoying solving problems has long gone and now I just want things to work with the minimum of fuss.

Thanks for all your help Simon.

13. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Glad you sorted it. You do need to be a good half a meter away from the sensors to get the best tracking. Also, if any of your sensors can't see your headset, it will flag up with an error on the Oculus app in device. Mine does this all the time when it's been stowed away. But it will quickly reset itself once you bring the headset back into the sensors view. So don't try trouble shooting if this occurs, just give your headset and sensors time to reset before playing any games.

14. Kronos

Kronos Multimodder

To be honest someone on another forum did tell me which sensor I should be facing with a three sensor set up so I can only blame my own stupidity. My concentration is all shot to hell with my chronic lack of sleep issues. Tomorrow I will have a proper go though I have still to resolve the glasses/lens thing which is on order.

15. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

don't supposed anyone here has tried ocuus quest with ALVR have they?

im tempted to try it.

16. VipersGratitude

VipersGratitude Multimodder

17. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Glad I grabbed a Rift S now, as there is no god rays or glows etc.

18. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

19. edzieba

edzieba Virtual Realist

That's a shame, though I can see why the point of view of user experience consistency: streamed VR is always going to be a worse experience than directly rendered due to the unavoidable delay of video transmission. And over consumer WiFi (normally delivered via some POS ISP supplied combo-router rather than even a half-decent dedicated WAP) that's a big double-digit latency hit to add to all movements, on top of quality degradation from steam compression and decompression (which both add their own fixed latency overheads too).

::EDIT:: As with Go (and Android in general), turn on developer mode and sideload the non-store version of Virtual Desktop ggodin is going to make available, and you can continue as usual.

20. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

ive tried a friends quest with ALVR yes theres latency but its very playable. racing games its the most noticable but skyrim, superhot even doom vr streamed aint bad at all. i was looking to get one till i found out there was no thered mode for desktop use as my current pc room i cant do owt apart from sat down gaming in vr . as i need my sim fix on weekends.

i may well end up getting one if and when my CV1 sells in the members marketplace.