1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Multi The World Of Tanks thread

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by octoberfest, 17 Feb 2010.

1. Cthippo

Cthippo Can't mod my way out of a paper bag

I'm not missing the point, you're missing what I said :p

I'm talking about finding targets for arty, not hunting for them.

I play arty a lot (just got the SU-8, the inaccuracy was an unwelcome surprise) and so I'm familiar with the value of a good scout. However, without arty, or a good sniper in position, I really wonder what I'm accomplishing, even when I get good XP in a match as scout. It seems like I drive around, trying to maintain contract without getting skewered and hope someone is paying attention. It's frustrating because there is no direct connection between what I'm doing and the outcome of the match. I know I'm feeding info to the team, but I don't see what they do with it, or even know if anyone is looking. Probably just not the right role for me.

I've been doing very well recently as artillery and also playing heavy, and some of my favorite matches continue to be when I can use my T-28 as a long range sniper. Give me a rock to hide the T-28's enormous ass behind with a view of the battlefield and the enemy will wonder where their hit points keep disappearing to. I get people complaining that I camp, but it works well.

Is the T-150 significantly better than the KV-1 or does it feel like the same tank against bigger opponents?

2. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

Sometimes (read: ****ing always!) you just don't have the team to back you up.

I had a match scouting in my T-50-2 once, tier 10, 2 arty per side on Erlenberg (I think, the snowy one with the river, castle thing and hill with farm buildings) and during that match i detected 13 of 15 and covered well over 12km all the while keep targets lit up. I was getting shells rained on me almost constantly but was somewhat fortunate in never getting hit. Ducking and weaving the whole time, covering the whole map including lighting up but not engaging their arty. When the post battle came up it showed me as having done 670 spotting damage. I'll be honest and say that caused a rage quit, I just couldn't believe that my could be that ****ing useless. Most of them were camping TD's ffs and the enemy were frequently miles away from any kind of cover.

It was one of those 'seriously, what the **** do I have to do?!?!?!' moments.

3. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

I just had a great game - managed to find an excellent sniping position on Sand River - and let loose 30 rounds in my Type 59. 28 found their target, resulting in 6 kills and 4540 damage total.

I don't know if posting game results is frowned upon or not but this was my top score in over 2 years, so what the heck.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

For those of limited eyesight, that's 1771 xp before premium, making it 2656 xp for the round. Then it's x2 for 1st win of the day, total 5312 xp.

4. Risky

Risky Modder

Did the Lowe get the sniper badge then?

What spot were you using. I've sniped it well from G5 or G6 on assault in a T49, but I imagine you wouldn't have been there.

5. sp4nky

sp4nky BF3: Aardfrith WoT: McGubbins

Lowe got confederate, the enemy IS-3 took sniper with 11/11 shots.

We were defending and I went to the far right, just in the dune/rocks. There's a spot where you're protected from the front by the dune but you can edge forward, snipe and roll back. It falls down if the enemy comes over the rocks but they would be exposed to more fire from down in the river valley.

6. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I love games like that. Where there are generally high scores, which really means that it was a good game. Did it end up quite close?

7. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

Ok what's with today, It seems to be public hoilday as it feels like a dam weekend. The amount of ar*eholes who have either been pushing me out of cover, or team killing is just making my blood boil.

8. Risky

Risky Modder

I got shot up when in my locust for stealing someone's kills.......and damage apparently as I did more damage, kills and everything else that him and his platoon mate combined.

Thankfully I did one think right as I just drove off as he opened up and survived to kill some more stuff.

9. Cthippo

I was grinding my T-28 this morning to finally unlock the skills / perks and had some good games, and some not so good ones. There was one though where I swear everyone but me got the memo to go completely retarded.

It was on Mountain Pass and 2/3 of the team went up the hill that arty uses and stayed there! 10 freakin tanks on that hill waiting for the enemy to come annihilate them. I couldn't believe it! We lost 15-1 and I honestly think the one kill may have been from someone getting shoved off the hill by a teammate and accidentally landing on an enemy tank.

Just that one game though. I mean, my team got stomped a few other times, but at least people were trying. Weird.

10. SMIFFYDUDE

SMIFFYDUDE Supermodders on my D

I been playing my IS-7 for the first time in ages and my god I'd forgotten how crap it's gun is. The amount of pings and 0dmg hits it does is a joke especially given how much the rounds cost.
    I shot an M40/M43 spg in the side and did nothing to it.

11. Cthippo

Does anyone else have the SU-8? Does it get any better?

Right now I'm paying 600 cr a shot for shells that would get there faster if I mailed them book rate and don't do significant damage when they do arrive! :wallbash:

12. lilgoth89

lilgoth89 Captin Calliope

I never saw any reason to go past the SU26 on the Russian arty line
    but I think I am slightly in love with the GW panther, its awesome accurate, and does fairly decent damage to what I am shooting at, coming close to completing its 1st crew skill, ( everyone getting camo except gunner with snapshot ) once I get enough xp ill likely change the 1st skill for BIA, then retrain camo and snapshot. then once the commander is 100% again he will get 6th sense and then retain camo for a 3rd time

13. Cthippo

Ah, you missed out, man! SU-5 is like the SU-26, except it actually kills things! The 14 round magazine is a pain, but I've gotten 5 kills with it a at least a few times, occasionally even on a loss. You can also kill flying scouts with it if you're lucky. I'll probably grind the SU-8 to get the bigger tube, but if it continues to suck as much I'll probably revert to playing the SU-5, which I really enjoyed.

Can you explain how the crew skills work once you get more than one? Do they stack? How many skills can each crew member have and how much of a difference do they make? Right now I've only had 2 of the 5 crew on my T-28 get to 100%, but the rest are close, and the KV-1 and M5A1 crews aren't far behind.

EDIT: SU-8 sucks balls, reverted to the SU-5 and started getting kills again. I guess if I want higher tier arty I will have to try another path.

Last edited: 4 May 2013
  14. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

They stack up, and are effective all the time. It's a real pleasure playing with a crew that is effectively 100%+ trained as the tanks really come to life and you can play them for all there worth. Except the M3 Lee, a turd shall forever be a turd.

15. lilgoth89

what SU26 are you playing ? my stats in the thing speak for themselves 619games 1561 destroyed, 40top gun meddles and 35 confederate medals the thing is ludicrously powerful ( although you do need gold ammo to do much to KVs )
    as for crew skills. as far as I know there is no limit to how many skills can be given to a crewmember however each skills takes a lot longer to get than the last one...but if you enjoy a tank so much youll play it time and time again, a little thought about your tank can really pay off...scouts lose no camo when moving...so boosting them up with camo skill means they can scout more without being spotted / killed etc, meds can also really benefit from the accuracy bonus of snapshot and smooth ride
    heavys generally need repairs to fix up tracks and the like, and arty gets great bonus from BIA ( 5% to all skills equating to roughly 2.5% off your reload and the same off your aiming time ) means you can shave entire seconds from your reload cycle and 6th sense so you know when your spotted and can take action to avoid the incoming arty shells before they hit you.

16. Cthippo

My experience with the SU-26 was that I could put a ridiculous number of shells into something (14 once IIRC) and not kill it. After the fifth or sixth time you hear "We just dinged them" on the same target it gets a bit frustrating.

With SU-5 2 or 3 shells will take out pretty much anything except an AT-2 and you need a tactical nuke for those anyway.

Shortly before I got rid of the SU-5 I was playing on mines and the enemy team had a TOG II* and about the time I ran out of shells I see pop up on the message space from the TOG "Damn it, SU-5, f**k off and find another target already!" :lol:

17. Risky

Risky Modder

Funny,I found the AT-2 quite vunerable to arty shells on it's roof when I have the Priest out.

18. lilgoth89

the AT2 is very vunerable to plunging arty fire as its roof isn't all that thick, you just have to drop the shell onto the target as opposed to dropping the shell on its front armour

19. Cthippo

Is the T-150 significantly different from the KV-1, or does it feel like the same tank against bigger enemies?

20. lilgoth89

well with the T150 it IS a kv...until elite it will only be a Kv1 against bigger enemies, however once you get the 107mm gun, everything in the world changes...the gun is VERY good, offering good damage, great ROF, and moderately good accuracy, it is also a fantastic credit farmer as the 107mm has cheap ammo, and deals nice damage. your armour will be much more effective if angled abit ( much like the KV1 ) and can bounce a great number of shells of the turret mantle ( so if you sit hull down = victory ) unfortunately now your Teir6 vs Teir8 and the enemy's you face are significantly stronger. wolf-packs of mediums will ruin your day, so you will have to learn weak-spots to significantly damage some tanks none are impenetrable to you but there are tanks where you need to learn where to shoot / where NOT to shoot. Teir6 is overall one of the better tiers to play ( and last of the very profitable ones without premium ) unfortunately like anything with the letters KV before it, it IS rather prone to damage ( owing to a vodka fuelled engine :naughty: ) so once your crew get to 100% fire fighting / repairs are a good combo to have as crew skills