1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays [update: Good news, everyone!] - New Dell U series coming Q3. A downgrade big time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 10 May 2011.

1. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

Oh yea you are right... anyway we have to wait and see.

2. Cei

Cei pew pew pew

Stand looks identical to pretty much every Dell monitor currently made. Metal internals, plastic outside. My P2210H looks very much like that, minus the curve at the rear. Boring, yes. Sturdy, yes.

3. GoodBytes

It's full metal the Dell U series. Except the black parts where it's plastic, but metal under it.

4. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Precisely that "curve" doesn't work for me at all. Also I'm missing the silvery look. All in all the new design doesn't really float my boat. I'm much more into the aesthetics of the current U-series.

5. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

I'll take a look at it if it's a true 8-bit e-IPS. Though if I was to get a new monitor I'd prefer a 27" hazro or 30" hazro :)

6. GoodBytes

Here are pictures of the new monitor... the stand looks plastic and silver (possibly plastic painted silver) color.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

There isn't even a media card reader... and the design looks like early 2000's (like all new Dell laptop and desktop system... UUUUGGGLLLLYYYYY! Stop getting people in India or China from the street to do your designs)

7. GoodBytes

[​IMG]
    Look, you don't even have the inputs anymore... This monitor is not even worth 300$

U2412 -> 1x DVI, VGA and Display Port (at least THAT)
    U2010 -> 2x DVI, VGA, Display Port, Component, Composite, HDMI

8. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

i was mistaken, that stand is completely different to current Dell U models.

to be honest, those connectors are all that's needed for a modern day monitor, two DP would future proof it, but two DVI is certainly not needed. IMHO.

9. xeem

xeem What's a Dremel?

Such a shame, my main monitor is still my amazing Dell 2407. Wanted a good replacement for these but looks like I will have a job on my hands finding a decent 16:10 screen within any kind of budget.

10. GoodBytes

I use my second DVI and VGA for plugging in laptops and desktop I repair.
    I use Display Port for my own laptop (it has a Display Port).
    I use Composite with my VCR to get TV
    I use Component for my Wii, and soon HDMI for my next console.

:D

But, yea I know what you mean, but at least they could have put HDMI so that you plug a gaming console to it.

11. Zurechial

Zurechial Elitist

But GoodBytes, why would you ever want to play a console on a 16:10 screen?
    [​IMG]

12. GoodBytes

I like black bars on top and bottom. I allows me to focus better on my gaming :D

13. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

What would you suggest Goodbytes

Save up and get a U2410 and a decent video card or buy a used Viewsonic (from work) and get a better GPU/more upgrades for BF3?

Do you think the "new" U2410 (next model, 24" IPS) would look good or right next to my current U2410? Which would be better?

14. GoodBytes

This is a lot of suppositions and a lot assuming....

If you want the best experience for BF3 (which I don't have to know), you have to wait for the next Nvidia graphic card, which is expected to be announced later this year, and released sometime early next year.

Now, I see you already have a U2410, so I am bit confused. Anyway, I am guessing you want a second one.

If you are going for a second one, than get the same. It will solve a lot of problems later on, such as different colors on each screen, and might bug you, also the 2x monitor will be different (looks, down to the stand). Be warned that, dual monitor on 1 GPU, makes the graphic card go at full normal speed, so more system noise (is it noisier than 2 separate GPU, I have on idea). I don't know if 2 identical monitors would help reduce the problem. Ask someone with such setup to know.

BF3 recommended specs says:
    So, I don't know what you can afford but a GTX 570/580 looks to me to be enough. Assuming that the "recommended specs" is medium-high setting at 1920x1080 / 1920x1200. And not, minimum settings at 640x480 but playable frame rate.

2 display driven gaming, is quiet intensive... I can't help you there.

1 display driven gaming and the other Windows extended, requires, obviously more performance, as it needs to draw the other screen, but I don't know how it impact desktop GPU's we have today. I think the GTX 580 is safe, if you can afford it, with such above setup. But please, if anyone knows, please correct me.

Assuming the new Dell monitor is 450-500$ Can/US. All by assuming that the Dell U2311H replacement, is the same price of 320-350$ Can/US. 100$ more for 16:10 (as all other features has been ripped out. And the pre-calibrated color profiles, and Picture-in-Picture/Side-by-Side Picture-in-Picture is really bonus than anything).

If I had to take the decision, assuming I don't have anything, I would pick the U2410 now, and get a slower GPU, even if it means a slight sacrifice in graphics performance in BF3, where I'll need to put my setting at near max.

Why?
    1- A new fancy powerful GPU, is upgradable, and it's always better.
    2- BF3 is 1 game
    3- The U2410 will provide me with a MUCH better gaming, movie, photo editing (non-professional, like form your digital camera), and general computer usage, a new GPU... less than hand full will push the GPU, despite being released for some time now.
    4- Usually the graphic difference during game play between max setting and near max or even high settings, are very very close form each other. Outside of game screen shots looked up close, I think it won't be noticeable, so it's a sacrifice that can be made, for those few games.

15. azrael-

azrael- I'm special...

Thanks for the new images of the U2412M, GB! I don't know where you've got those images from but TFTCentral shows similar images and lists some more specs. It doesn't even have a true 8 bit panel to elevate it above e.g. the U2311H.

One word (notion?) comes easily to mind: *shudder*

I believe the new S24A850DW (yes, it's got a name now) from Samsung looks more and more interesting.

16. GoodBytes

I got the images from TFT Central. Same article. :)

That is true, it is an 6-bit panel. What garbage.
    I guess for those interested in buying a Dell (monitor, desktop, laptop), it would be best to wait 3-4-5 years until Dell goes really down, and Dell starts it's cycle again with super impressive products to go back up, and then, as their lesson is never learned, repeat by going down again.

17. Jaybles

Jaybles Minimodder

You only have enough money for one screen and you don't care about black bars.

18. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

The U2410 is an awesome monitor, even for the price. Still using a 2408WFP at the moment and got it just before the price hike for £220. Been keeping an eye for a U2410 for a while, looks like I'll have to get one on Ebay when I can afford it, cause I won't be buying any of these downgraded ones.

I haven't read the whole thread but does anyone know if there making changes to the 30" model aswell ? That really would suck.

19. GoodBytes

There is no information on the 27inch and 30inch at the moment. They were released several month after the 24/23inch.

20. wyx087

wyx087 Homeworld 3 is happening!!

LED, e-IPS seems to be the trend.

27inch will probably receive the e-IPS 6-bit treatment. can't see 30inch getting cheaper and cutting quality myself.