1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Displays [update: Good news, everyone!] - New Dell U series coming Q3. A downgrade big time

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by GoodBytes, 10 May 2011.

1. Buck_Rogers25

Buck_Rogers25 Minimodder

Cheers.

They better not, it's either the U2410 or the 30" model, and if the 2410 disappears then 30" it is. Bloody expensive though.

2. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

TBH I don't see why you don't just emulate the Wii games on your comp with that rig, games will look too :D

3. GoodBytes

GoodBytes How many wifi's does it have?

I have... the problem is that the 99% of games have graphic glitches and performance problem in some areas. Don't get me wrong. Re-playing some of my games in HD 1080p, is really cool. (especially that in many games, especially those from Nintendo, the textures are higher resolution.. which seams to indicate that the Wii downgrades them for it to be able to render (Wii U feature?). But these issues (mostly graphic glitches) are annoying. Playing on a Wii is far better. Also my Wiimote has longer battery life on the Wii, than if I connect it via Bluetooth on my desktop.

4. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

What I meant by my post is that I'm looking at getting a second monitor, I already have one U2410. The second monitor would most likely be used for extended internet browsing, writing code, itunes... or teamspeak while I'm in game. My question is should I buy a cheap monitor and buy a better GPU or save up and get a second U2410?

I'm leaning toward cheaper smaller monitor. One: because the desk in my dorms are really small and lugging one U2410 between school and home is already a pain. Two: gaming on split screens is gross unless its an RPG (I play FPSers, where will the crosshair go?). Three: it would be cheaper/more to spend on upgrades. Four: it isn't a crucial screen/I won't be looking at it all the time.

However I'd still kill for a U2410. They are so nice and if I could I'd have 3 I would, but I can't. So do you think there will be a large used market for U2410's in the next few years that I could pick up a similar U2410 (model/revision # to reduce them from looking different) when money and desk space permitted me to buy 2 more (tri-screen setup)?

5. GoodBytes

Well... I don't know... It all about yourself.

The benefit of having 2x U2410, in your case, is that they look identical... but you don't need fancy colors in your case. Perhaps a U2311H... it will be smaller... but you have the same stand, I don't know if that is helpful in a multi-monitor setup (don't have one). The downside, is, as you mentioned, very space consuming.

If I was in your place... what I would do, is at least get one that looks the same.. so a U2311H (well... it's cheaper... and a bit smaller... but still big) or U2211H (1920x1080 display) or 2209WA (if it's still available).

If not, than I don't think it mater what you get as a monitor, other than perhaps stay with IPS realm, so that you don't have a screen that bothers you with really crappy image. If you think than it won't be a problem, than a TN panel it is. Dell has TN panels with the monitor look as your current U2410.

I don't know anything about refurbished or used products... never bought them, or even looked into it.

Sorry I am not helpful here. :(
    I am continuing thinking about it.... if I get some ideas I'll come back... if anyone has ideas or suggestions or opinions, please help our friend.

6. The_Beast

The_Beast I like wood ಠ_ಠ

So you're just as confused as I am :hehe:

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Getting two should be fine, one in Landscape one in Portrait.

And refurbs usually have a decent warranty. Used products? If they allow returns, then things should be fine.

8. GoodBytes

Exactly :)

9. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Does anyone know an expected time when these will be getting replaced? Saw the thread started in May, when does Q3 typically run?

10. GoodBytes

I think Dell is emptying their warehouse now... once it's all empty or mostly empty... they'll release the new one.

11. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I'm happy with my screen. I thought dell would make next generation panels faster, but looking at specs you provided I see that it lags behind old u2410 with 8ms gtg. Only thing thats cool is W-LED backlight.

Last edited: 13 Jul 2011
  12. Aracos

Aracos What's a Dremel?

When's the last time you tried? Dolphin vastly improves very quickly, granted it can't perfect every game and most games have at least some kind of problem, but I find usually it's only minor problems these days.

13. GoodBytes

I tried about 3 month ago...
    I think they slowed down development since they jump on the MacOS version...
    Anyway... this is off topic.

14. Siwini

Siwini What is 4+no.5?

I'll back you up bytes, cus I agree. Mass Effect 2 terrible glitches wall freeze. Torchlight stuck in wall had to modify txt file to reset account. That's just a few.

15. thewelshbrummie

thewelshbrummie Minimodder

Reading this makes me really happy that I took Goodbytes advice and bought a U2410 in January. At the time I wondered if I'd plumped too early and should have waited for the inevitable replacement. Very happy that I didn't.

16. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

Dell U2311H no longer available on their UK web site.

Got a price from them on it from them last week, this week they confirmed to me they will no longer be carrying it...

17. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

I will buy this when the red line is removed from the front. Oh dear lord its horrible.

18. Abhorsen

Abhorsen Minimodder

Bought one today, hoping it arrives.

19. jimmyjj

jimmyjj Minimodder

20. GoodBytes

I believe this was already said.. but thanks for the reminder. :)