1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Margo Baggins

Margo Baggins I'm good at Soldering Super Moderator

does anyone know how much a Fox 32 140 Vanilla Factory Edition is worth? I think it's 2009

2. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I want it to be dark already :)

[​IMG]

Although can't use it till I've got this bandage off my leg after my chain came off my Single speed yesterday and locked my rear wheel forcing me into a lamp post :(.

3. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

That's a lovely light, where'd you get it? I'm still trying to decide what to do about lights this year.

4. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

http://troutie.com/

£300 each with large battery pack :),

Ok tell a lie folks :)

Actually have 2 of these with large batteries lol

[​IMG]

Why have one when 2 is always better :p

5. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

SO MANY MONEYS!

please do a stop motion animation with them. They can move up and down the handle bars and watch things go past your bike while you cycle around?

6. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Need to make a Handlebar mount they only ship with a Helmet mount :), 2,600 lumens each (tested) 175metres of throw :)

They do look very cute :D.

7. Lance

You're going to have both on your helmet?

8. AlienwareAndy

AlienwareAndy What's a Dremel?

JOHNNY FIVE IS ALIVE !

9. steveo_mcg

steveo_mcg What's a Dremel?

I thought they looked like his handy work. Too rich for me tragically, though maybe this year I'll finish my new homebrew light...

10. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

Will make a handle bar mount :).

11. Lance

Ah that makes sense.

12. Margo Baggins

I have been looking at lights for the winter - I am not as flush as you though!

I think I am going to get MJ-880u for my bars havent decided on helmet light yet.

13. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

holy cr*p those lights are awesome! I bet they get pretty warm, non?

14. M_D_K

M_D_K Modder

I have a Magicshine MJ-872 got it from amazon last year for around £80 and its been pretty well alos have varying copys from china for peanuts that are nice but just don't produce the amount of light they say they do.

Magicshine though are well built little lights if you can get one ons pecial.

15. Margo Baggins

Yeah I have cheap chinese lights on my road bike, which is fine as they are plenty bright enough for me on the road, need something for the trails though :)

Yeah I have read good reviews about magicshine and I think that is about the most I am willing to spend on a light.

16. Malvolio

Malvolio .

Yes and no, but it would be a silly thing to do. Technically you have a BSA BB (aka an "English" bottom bracket, 1.27 tpi by either 68 or 73mm), so though there are conversion kits for various BMX-style cranksets (you would buy the correctly sized adaptor for your spindle - 20 or 22mm for example) but it typically isn't worth it due to weight and fragility. Remember: BMX cranks are absolutely not designed for prolonged use under any sort of load, and typically fail rather catastrophically under these circumstances. There are exceptions certainly, but they're so heavy as to be unreasonable (like the set of MRP Bones I have in the corner which are BMX-style, but are actually intended for extreme DH usage).

Best thing to do is just get either a single-speed specific crankset, or just a bare set of crank arms then grab yourself a single-speed specific chain ring that is compatible with them.

Slight point of note as well: that 112.5mm number that was thrown around earlier in regards to your current crankset? That is the BB spindle length, not BB size - these are two entirely different numbers with the former being entirely dependant upon the chain-line of your crankset, the latter being dependant upon your frame. What I am saying is basically just ignore this number, as it is entirely meaningless to you.

Other point I want to make is that a single-speed conversion kit DOES NOT require any form of redishing of the rear wheel. Simply take the spacers and cog the kit comes with, determine your chainline (where the chain is straight from your front chain ring), and position the rear cog in the correct place to keep that chain in place and straight. Remember: single speed kits are designed to work with Shimano-compatible cassette style freehub bodies, not threaded hubs. I can happily go into more detail if you should so wish, but that is the basics of it :p

Anyway, have a picture:

[​IMG]
    The city is being a bit slow in their repair of the pathway system after the flood earlier in the year. This was a rather heavily used pathway linking several parts of the city together, but is now closed off with a detour forcing cycling traffic through an industrial part of the city. Not the smartest of routes really...

17. stuartwood89

stuartwood89 Please... Just call me Stu.

I managed to pull off a single speed conversion on my UMF Hardy 2:

(bad photos incoming)
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I'm fairly familiar with the process, my only concern is that I would be left with an unnecessarily dished wheel. Not a massive deal since the wheel was originally like that, it's just me being picky :D

My only question now is the crank. Because I wanted to go single speed, it made sense for me to consider a BMX crank, though I'd prefer to go for something that works well than something that's been bodged onto the frame with adapters etc.

Last edited: 7 Sep 2013
  18. Margo Baggins

Snapped my frame. :(

Sad day! now I need a new frame. ideally looking for 6" travel frame.

19. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Unlucky there.

What's the budget? If you're out for a new frame I can highly recommend Cotic's Rocket. I've been riding around on one since last May now and it's lovely, quite heavy but it's been shrugging off my crashes without so much as a dent (including a sideways trip down the slab at Stainburn). The 55 ti I bought with it, not so much, it died abruptly in September, the second hand Thor on it now is ridiculously average.

[​IMG]

20. Margo Baggins

That's a nice bike!

I *think* I have found a second hand Giant Reign with 6" of travel for 260 delivered to me, and it's in good nick. I reckon I might have to go for that as I don't have that much money and I don't want to not be riding!