1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Education We Like to Ride Bicycles

Discussion in 'General' started by RTT, 8 May 2008.

1. Cookie Monster

Cookie Monster Multimodder

Is it pain or cramp?

I love Niners, though I had one of those Marin's too.

2. Kernel

Kernel Likes cheese

It's like fatigue pain, I'm pretty much putting it down to poor cleat setup.

3. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Great thread! Is anyone in or near Woking and up for a casual 40-50 miler (road) over the long weekend?

4. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'm Bromley, but I'm in Wales this weekend, if people we interested we could do a Bit-tech meet up in Richmond park another time? Unfortunately not mountain biking...

5. Guest-23315

Guest-23315 Guest

Ahh Woking.. I spent the better part of 18 years living up there... Have you been to Pure Motion Cycles in West Byfleet yet? Awesome shop and good group to ride with.

6. RinSewand

RinSewand What's a Dremel?

Hi all,

After a bit of advice please! I keep wanting to head out biking, and since I sold the bike I built a year or so ago I'm after a new one. I've had the Trek Marlin 7 recommended to me, or the 6 due to the lack of markup for brand name, and warranty;

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/marlin-7-2015-mountain-bike-ec066115

http://www.evanscycles.com/products/trek/marlin-6-2015-mountain-bike-ec066114

and was wondering if anyone had any other suggestions or opinions. I'm after a hard-tail, for canal tow path / trail use, budget is £500 max, though less if possible.

Any suggestions would be great thanks!

7. Spanky

Spanky Multimodder

8. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

I'd head towards the Specialized of those partly because I really like Specialized and partly because I think the spec on Specialized is not bad.

The cheaper Marlin I would avoid as it has some sub standard parts like a narrower handlebar which would mean if you wanted to change them you would need to do the stem too. And the fork on the Specialized is tapered so if you ever wanted to upgrade you could use current stock.

From what I understand of most Specialized frames they tend to be worth upgrading because they're good quality. (Not that they need it, it's just an option).

I've been looking to get an entry level cross country/trail bike for myself and I've been looking at the £700 area which opens up the Canyon and On-one offerings which seem a bit more 80-20.

9. JamesRC

JamesRC Minimodder

Thanks for the tip, Ill have to make the trip :thumb:

10. Cookie Monster

Take a look at the Saracen Tufftrax Disc Comp 29er if it need to be 29" wheels as it beats the spec of the Trek for £440. If it doesn't have to be a 29er look at the Saracen Mantra @ £500 on 27.5 wheels.

11. RinSewand

Cheers for the advice all. Ended up ordering the Specialized Rockhopper 29er Sport for £410. Cheapest I could find all the spec from the others suggested. Gets in next week, and if I like it on the test ride I'll take it. Tried a 650b and the 29er felt a bit more 'right'.

12. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Of the topic of new bikes slightly but, just serviced my forks for the first time. All I can say is oh wow they feel good! buttery smooth no noise they just work very pleased with them. Also a lot easier than I thought to actually service.

13. RinSewand

It finally arrived! Got 8.2 miles out of it today, which I'm pleased with to say I've not ridden for about 6 years!

[​IMG]

14. jrs77

jrs77 Modder

Last edited: 2 Jan 2018
  15. legoman

Guy I work with uses one rides probably 20 miles a day on one pretty, pretty solid to be fair. Not sure how many 7-8 speeders are about now days.

Gents, have a question for you tis a rather er, sensitive area quite literally. Had this a few rides an tried adjusting the saddle angle from slightly up to level still getting the same problem. Numbness in the ol chap. Did 12 miles last night came off an yeah no numb like youd fallen asleep on you arm. I know my sit bone is 124mm anyone able to suggest one with a hole in it at all?

16. Cookie Monster

That's taking the stranger to the extreme.

There are a few manufacturers that have a gel filled cushion for customers to sit on, your imprint shows you the shape of your pelvis and points you towards a certain style of saddle. It's just a case of finding a shop which has one.

17. Tekku

Tekku What's a Dremel?

Hello guys, if I would like to inform myself better about bike stuff (parts and assembly and things like that) do you know where could be a good place?
    And Also what are good places to buy parts online in europe?

18. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Shimano everything is pretty much reliable. For the hub gears it's prudent to get them serviced every 1000 miles or once every two years if you don't ride much.

If it's Shimano 7 or 8 speed derailleurs, they will outlive us all.

In the mean time I'm chasing down 15.75mm Bos shock hardware for my Cotic, which they apparently made ten sets and never spoke of again, God save us from the French!

19. legoman

Best place online is going to be park tools site for learning http://www.parktool.com/blog/repair-help
    If you want hands on in the UK there are the Cytech qualifications.

Bike part places depends where you are in Europe.

Thanks, yeah was not a ice experience. Rang some places after seeing this an went to a place with the afore mentioned saddle pad thingy. They have put a couple on order for me as test saddles Im going to try one a week take it back swap it an decide.

20. Tekku

Tekku What's a Dremel?

Thank you, I'm in Germany right now, I only asked in europe in general because if the shop has good reputation I don't mind ordering online :)