1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

I am the worst at pet names. I tend to lean towards the name of the animal. So, in this instance, 'dog'.

The last good pet name I had was 'Bosco' for a chameleon.

Only advice I have is: Can you stand to shout it at the most inopportune times?

11pm garden whizz. Chasing a duck in the park. Eating the unattended bag of treats in the petshop.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Close, AKA "Havana/Cuban Silk Dog"

Except she will not be silky because we're not spending an hour a day brushing her, instead opting for the "puppy cut"

The "can I shout this across a busy park" test made me giggle like a schoolgirl when coming across "Fanny" on a website of dog name ideas.

liratheal likes this.
  3. liratheal

liratheal Sharing is Caring

A long time ago, there was a dog in need of a name and one of the suggestions was 'Bilbo'. Turns out it has a certain sound to it when said with any frustration or concern urgently.

4. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

Magdalene is beautiful and can also creatively abbreviate to Lena, which is also beautiful and fits the bill re: being short, distinctive, and sounding nice even when shouted in panicked tones across a park.

Inevitable "Lena is such a b*tch/bad girl" jokes will follow any time Game of Thrones is on, of course.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Congrats on the marriage!

Can't say I approve of your choice of price comparison website though - never have been able to stand those stupid damn adverts*! :grin:

*the fact that they're also a competitor might also have something to do with my dislike...!

boiled_elephant likes this.
  6. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

Wha ? You gotta insure a mobility scooter now ?

7. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

The way that some of them are ridden around here makes me thing that their premiums should be higher than for our car... They're either on the road at 4 mph or on the pavement at 20...

Arboreal and boiled_elephant like this.
  8. spolsh

spolsh Multimodder

That particular issue seems universal and unrelated to any local area (in the UK at least).

9. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Some have a number plate, so they can be ridden on public roads, so yes.

10. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

I’ve made thousands of websites over the years, “this one has got to work!” and each one failed one after another either due to marketing, or whatever, just couldn’t get customers or views.

On the 4th of May I was in a Discord channel and this guy advertised that he’s selling data processing as a service, as always, hello competitor… “I’ll beat his price by 30 cents!” I posted to the chat. He messaged me “hey lets team up I do Python automation for a living”, great I'll do the website and some marketing…

Today we just hit our 555 customer order. We've processed over 12240 files, amounting to around 1.18 Petabytes of data.

Feels nice after so many years of failure (learning experiences) i actually founded a service worthwhile where 99.8% of the customers are happy.

Last edited: 24 Aug 2021
  11. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You jest, but I literally am about to sell my 650 cruiser and get a scooter. Not a mobility scooter, a maxi-scooter.

But it's definitely a step in that direction.

Especially considering my main motivation was the big comfy seat and upright posture.

12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I certainly appreciate the attraction of a simple twist-and-go but I'm quite fond of having a gearbox! Lovely feeling to be able to just drop a gear and take off whenever I need to (subject to speed limits of course :grin: ). To be fair though I don't even need to drop a gear on the Pan European, I could quite happily be pootling along at 40mph in 5th gear and still easily accelerated to 70mph without batting an eyelid.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

After the biggest restoration scrap of my entire life my Morales BTS is finished. Not quite sure it's better than sex, but it's probably about the same as being married. It arrived in a terrible state. It had 1mm+ of powder underneath a spray bomb that was performed for reasons unknown.

[​IMG]

From that far it doesn't look as terrible as it was. It was bad. It was really bad.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It took me three attempts to strip it fully. This was round one.

[​IMG]

Round two revealed the full horrors of what had gone on.

[​IMG]

Lots of filing, sanding and JB welding later.

[​IMG]

Then round two.

[​IMG]

And so on. Finally after more than a month.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wheels were also a nightmare. I built those, and soon found out how short the spokes needed to be. This caused panic, and many hours of trying to find very short spokes.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Let me tell you - those wheels were a total BASTUD to build. Triple wall, non magnetic spoke nipples. Meaning you constantly drop nipples inside the rim and then have to shake it around to get them out. Even with my spoke nipple tool I still dropped them, and on the last spoke on the last wheel I may have lost the end of my screwdriver in there which took me over an hour to fish out.

That said I would say it was worth it.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  14. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Well done with those wheels and, I'm glad I never built wheels using rims like that.

15. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

It sucked balls. In fact, it caused my first autistic meltdown since I was put on buspirone. I was winding on the nipples about two turns, as they say, yet they kept coming off and falling in. The back wheel took me five hours. By which point I had already exploded at my mother for pestering me when I told her to leave me the F alone.

I never thought much about it, but remembered when I worked at the bike shop my boss refused to build wheels like that. Now I know why, 'cause it sucks balls. The front I laced first go (didnt lose my place etc) but it still took ages with lots of dropped nipples.

16. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

[​IMG]

17. Andersen

Andersen I'm fine. I'M FINE! *banshee howl*

Idiot housemate got yeeted the hell out today. Only thing that remains is the stench of fags and weed

IanW likes this.
  18. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

A catering size bottle of Febreze should fix that! :thumb:

19. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

Or just some better quality weed... :winking::hehe:

20. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

My Stupid Hipster Laptop has shipped at long last!

[​IMG]

Can't wait.

Still no news on the Stupid Hipster Notepad, though, which is a shame 'cos I'm even more excited about that one...

[​IMG]