Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Paid off 4 loans in as many months (used some savings and a double bonus), consolidated and reduced the interest and term of another+CC! Its been a busy few month, but massively rewarding, I wish I'd done it a year ago! So many spreadsheets! The only negative to financial planning is I litterally know what the new few years looks like, kind of takes the mystery out of it! :p

DeadP1xels, perplekks45, IanW and 2 others like this.
  2. Weekly_Estimate

Weekly_Estimate Random bird noises.

Holiday booked, 7 days of waterpark fun! first holiday in 10 years, not sure who's more excited me or the kids...

[​IMG]

perplekks45, MadGinga, adidan and 6 others like this.
  3. sandys

sandys Multimodder

adidan and IanW like this.
  4. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Finally got the prescription through for blood pressure medication. Blimey, that was a slog!

Pete J, perplekks45, Arboreal and 4 others like this.
  5. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

My OH said ice driving is part of the Finnish driving test. Makes sense in that part of the world.

I also think having dirt tracks through woods to summerhouses explains why so many good rally drivers come from that part of the world.

Bet that'll be awesome fun.

6. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

My cousins in Norway had to do winter driving as part of their test and lessons which again, makes perfect sense. I was sort of lucky in that respect as I did my driving lessons from July 94 through to March 95 so I got some winter experience in during that time. OK, so a little 1.2l Nova tin can wasn't the best car for it, but I managed.

7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

IIRC I had a tiny bit, not much and by no way like in the Nordic region but my instructor wanted me to at least experience it.

Same as heading on to the dual carriageway (or motorway) as I don't think it was even a requirement (can't honestly remember).

8. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

You were taken onto a dual carriageway, as it's illegal for learners to drive on the motorway even when with an instructor.

adidan likes this.
  9. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

They changed that in 2018, you can go on a motorway with an instructor now.

10. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Oh? I passed last Century, so I didn't know that.

11. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

You really ought to keep abreast of changes, for example did you know you no longer require a man to walk in front of the car with a red flag?

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  12. noizdaemon666

noizdaemon666 I'm Od, Therefore I Pwn

But how will Wilfred survive if I give him the boot now!? He's 76 for God's sake :hehe:

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  13. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

I live in Wales. We brought it back!

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  14. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

That's a sensible idea, I've driven in Wales.... ;)

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

My red flag man has a jet propelled skateboard, so he doesn't slow me down...

16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

With scenery like this it's more a case of "Why wouldn't you drive in Wales?" :thumb:

Heading down the A5 from Capel Curig towards Bethesda.

[​IMG]

Or perhaps turn off the A5 in Capel Curig, head down the A4086, and make your way down between Glyder Fawr (on the right) and Yr Wyddfa itself (on the left):

[​IMG]

I haven't ridden the A4085, but I went down the A5 many years ago on a bike trip around Wales. That entire stretch of A5 through Eryri is absolutely breathtaking. I had to stop multiple times to take it in, I was getting really distracted and wasn't paying attention to the road. Did the same route in a car a couple of years later and it just wasn't the same as it was on the bike... Still absolutely stirring scenery, but I felt so much more disconnected in a car...

Pete J, Vault-Tec and Almightyrastus like this.
  17. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

In one of Spike Milligan's books he lamented the speed of modern vehicles (writing in the '70s) as you could no longer point out the window and say "look at that!", only "did you see that?".

18. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Somewhat delayed birthday chillout this evening. Just had a Chinese takeaway, about to crack open a couple of beers and watch some excellent films.

Also: finally found a driving school taking on new customers and have a 2hr lesson booked in.

I’ve been able to get by with just the Cat A bike license up until now, since the other half could always drive the car when needed. That is no longer a guaranteed option any more, so it’s about damn time I pulled my head out of my arse and passed the car test. I’m hoping it’s not going to take much - I did the theory test last year, and I know what I’m doing on the road because… well… Cat A bike license, innit. I just haven’t been behind the wheel of a car for a long time and things like controls, visibility, manoeuvrability, road positioning, etc, are going to be vastly different to what I’m used to. Some time with a professional instructor won’t be a bad thing to start off with.

Booking the test is going to be an arse though, seems like the waiting lists are still quite long.

19. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

*driving a 1.2*

"There seems to be some problem, this thing is barely shifting?"

IanW and Byron C like this.
  20. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Having a fun night out with Mrs crap. It's been a while since I've felt true happiness like this. God damn I love this woman.