1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What currently makes your life awesome?

Discussion in 'General' started by Brooxy, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Darkwisdom

Darkwisdom Level 99 Retro Nerd

Coming back here in some time and realising the place hasn't changed too much. Lots of cool people still, like always.

2. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Having my first eye test in 4.5 yrs in a bit. I gotta say I'm a little tired of the glasses I have now. Going back to plastic frames I think.

3. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

10 days off work. ****. Yes.

Ever tried contacts? The silicon hydrogen ones I wear are amazing. You only change them once a month so no cleaning malarkey, no in-out in-out bs you get with dailys, just 24/7 vision and incredible resistance the onion tears.

4. Vault-Tec

Autie + something in your eye?

Oh God no. I get a spec of dust in my eye and I practically tear my eyeball out trying to remove it.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Just to be Mr Pedantic here... Contacts go on your eye, not in them :thumb:. But I take your point ;).

I have an appointment next week to set up a contact lens trial. I end up hardly ever wearing my glasses; I don't wear them under my bike helmet because of how smooshed up my face is, and then I rarely bother putting them on when I get to work.

6. Vault-Tec

nearly there now....

[​IMG]

It's taken me a week to get that far. First off I had to repair the amp, then I had to build my own speaker stands as everything was too tall. I present two bamboo cactus plant pot stands and two tiles lmao. Works a treat ! Now I just have to sort out that right hand corner, cue this...

[​IMG]

And I'll have finished the living room (once all that crap I am working with goes into the drawers).

IanW, bawjaws and adidan like this.
  7. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Last edited: 13 Apr 2019
    Vault-Tec likes this.
  8. adidan

perplekks45 likes this.
  9. Vault-Tec

65".

When I had it up on the wall 17ft away it wasn't as impressive. Now? I find myself sat (well, laid) in front of it every evening. It's a whole new experience .

IanW and Arboreal like this.
  10. lancer778544

lancer778544 Multimodder

The Alfa lives again. Got the engine in this morning, threw some bits at it to make it go and it runs great. Still a bit of work to be done but a major hurdle overcome, very pleased.

goldstar0011, IanW, legoman and 2 others like this.
  11. Wakka

Wakka Yo, eat this, ya?

Went a did a house viewing over the weekend - we got some inheritance that will essentially cover a modest deposit on a brand new shared ownership 3-bed. It's all subject to credit checks and working off assumed income (missus is still on maternity and all), but theoretically we could be moving into something that we can, partly, call our own within the next few months (with the option of buying a higher % later on).

Just means tightening the purse strings for a couple of months, cracking on with the overtime and reducing the debt as much as possible to give us the best chance.

adidan, bawjaws and goldstar0011 like this.
  12. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Game of Thrones is back on. Really wasn't that hyped about it, but after watching the first episode of this season... yeah, now I have hype.

13. MLyons

MLyons 70% Dev, 30% Doge. DevDoge. Software Dev @ Corsair Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

[​IMG]

IanW, Mr_Mistoffelees and Vault-Tec like this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I can hear the tippy-taps.

15. adidan

Only seen seasons 1-4. Got busy and then heard the 8th would be the last so decided to wait and buy the whole lot to binge later on.

Trying to avoid anything GoT until then :eeek:

16. perplekks45

perplekks45 LIKE AN ANIMAL!

I am yet to watch a single minute of GoT.

17. Vault-Tec

Life update !!

Bedroom is sorta kinda finished.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I say sorta kinda because as you can see the TV swallows that Malm chest whole. That leaves me no room for stereo or pod speakers, which makes me a saaaad panda. I also have to have my Freeview recorder behind the TV, meaning I have to hang my arm out of bed to change channels. Not ideal. Sadly a £50 chest of drawers costs £40 to ship, not happening. So I asked my bro to pick one up from the Croydon branch which he's now got and I get on Saturday. Almost there then.

Bathroom didn't take long.

[​IMG]

All I need to do is put the trainers in the drawers. Thing is I've banged my head so many times in that room now lol.

My amp was dead, so I had to repair it. This cost me valuable time diagnosing and ordering and waiting on parts but I got there.

[​IMG]

The only bummer? Nichicon caps are about 5mm thicker than the ones in there, so I had to modify it and use longer screws. There's now a 4mm gap around the top, but due to it being in the bottom of a cabinet you can't see it thankfully. I could always knock something up out of 5mm black acrylic. Talking of the speakers etc of course I could not find any speaker stands small enough to fit lower than the TV screen, and did not have the room to use full height speaker stands. So I had to get creative and bought two bamboo (so really hard and solid) plant pot stands and then screwed and glued them up using gorilla PVA.

[​IMG]

Once the glue had set I stuck them to two tiles mum had in her shed left over from the kitchen, and grabbed a tube of liquid nails I'd left here ages ago. Total cost was about £13, IIRC. They work a treat, plus they don't suffer from the "pod speaker ailment" IE the speakers are round and most speaker stands have large square tops so they look crap. Don't worry, they're sat on rubber mats.

[​IMG]

The living room is now clear of brown removal boxes.

[​IMG]

Blue chair = sore thumb, so I made the decision to buy this. Which of course I knew that it shipped as a whole chair one piece and is now stuck at my mother's until I get help *lies*

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I've been pushing myself hard to get out every single day, and I can happily report I've been successful in that mission. Nice thing is we have large lidded bins, so I don't have to save up all my rubbish and then do a "flat crap" as I've been calling it once a week. At my old flat there was no outside space at all, so I had to wash every food container and rubbish or it would stink. Plus I would have bags upon bags sitting in the hallway waiting for Thursday evening when I could take a "flat crap" and dump it all out for the dustmen. One of the nice things about going out is you can find nice things. Like these throws I picked up from Robert Dyas on clearance for £4.80 each.

[​IMG]

Which should save it from my sweaty self during the summer, as I had it professionally cleaned before I moved. I can also happily report the most important stuff is done now.

[​IMG]

Well again, sorta kinda. I have this....

[​IMG]

Which I want in my kitchen. Sadly it's heavy (real wood and glass) so I had to get this.

[​IMG]

And of course the plaster board fixings I need are not here yet.

Getting there though. It's an amazing place to live. I've been studying pigeons for the past couple of weeks they're very interesting and funny to watch. They also stop by and say hello a lot too which is funny. Bets on as to how long it will be before one of the silly sods fall into the flat...

[​IMG]

18. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Succesful PPI claim, I think, no notification, just a chunk of money in my account.

Vault-Tec and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  19. veato

veato I should be working

Pulling my hair out not being able to find my camera bag with all my gear in it. Started to panic after looking in all the obvious places then had a sleepless night trying to picture where and when I used it last. I remebered having it at Center Parcs two months ago but we pulled that place apart when we left so nothing was left behind. Can't remeber taking it anywhere else recently. 72 hours later, still no camera and I'm on the verge of calling the insurance comapny. Then the wife calls Center Parcs anyway...

Wife "I wondered if my huband's camera bag was left there. February. Blah Blah"
    CP "Hmm well after a month we send all lost property to the charity shop anyway. What did it look like?"
    Wife "It's a silver/grey backpack..."
    CP "Oh I think I saw that the other day. Yep, here it is"

Holy ****

IanW and Wakka like this.
  20. samkiller42

samkiller42 For i AM Cheesecake!!

Ikea top tip: Go in store, find and pay for said goods, then go to their service desk and ask them to deliver it, next day... for free :thumb:

Sam

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.