Linux What is this Linux thing?

Discussion in 'Software' started by Glider, 27 Jul 2006.

1. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Staff Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

No; you gave yourself the ability to use sudo. Your account is still at whatever privilege level it was before you added yourself to the sudoers list - which is why you need to use 'sudo' when you need higher privileges.

2. deathtaker27

deathtaker27 #noob

Think of sudo as right click run as admin in Windows

You have made yourself an admin but that doesn't make everything magically start as an admin

3. Pliqu3011

Pliqu3011 CHUCHEL CHUCHEL

Seeing as the must-have Linux software thread has been dead for over 10 years, I'll just post this here...

For any Linux users who want to experiment a bit I highly recommend giving the i3 window manager a try. It's a tiling window manager, which means you don't have floating windows (by default) but they are automatically arranged to fit the full screen.
    At first it looks more complicated than it is, but after using it for a bit over a month and configuring it for my needs it feels very comfortable, and switching back to Cinnamon or using Windows 7 feels sluggish now.
    - It's very quick in operation once you get the hang of it
    - Minimalistic look by default
    - Very (easily!) customizable
    - Very space-efficient (important for the relatively small screen of my Thinkpad X220T)
    - Ultra light-weight, barely puts a dent in the battery life (unlike Cinnamon...).

It's very basic though, just the bare necessities.
    You don't even get a task bar with a 'programs' menu or anything (though I guess you could just start up the task bar of another WM if you want to create an unholy mix of the two... ;)), so you have to start programs with the command line through the built in launcher. Just [win]+D fire [enter], and firefox is running. :)
    Any special keys you'll have to bind yourself, including volume buttons but also the power button! I have mine set up to display a small dialog with the standard sleep/shutdown/logout/etc. some guy made (can link to it should anyone be interested).

So if you don't mind using keyboard shortcuts (the few essential combinations are intuitive and easy to memorize) and taking a few hours to fully configure it to your liking I highly recommend it.

Here's a youtube video with a short, basic demonstration: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j1I63wGcvU4

4. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I've been meaning to give I3 a go since I first heard about it. I'll get around to it eventually.

5. rainbowbridge

rainbowbridge Well-Known Member

some things I like so far are control alt F2, F3 this switches to terminals (full black screen terminal view) which are separate.

Linux community saying the Windows key is called "the super key, some times known as windows key".

Last edited: 5 Jun 2016
  6. nimbu

nimbu Well-Known Member

I revisit ubuntu every few years and then go back to windows. As a gamer it's not quite there just yet. That and I hate unity!

However I spent a few hours over the weekend setting a headless debian download box. Got my nas drives mapped and am now able to use the latest version of nzbget etc. It was fun messing about in a cli once again, :).

It takes a little paitence and my advice to anyone is get a free hypervisor like vmware player / virtual box and have a play, it's tremendously satisfying when you get something working.

7. Ending Credits

Ending Credits Bunned

My netbook's windows partition failed on me last September (just as I needed it to set up stuff for a demonstration, doh) so I ended up just throwing Debian on it as finding and burning a Vista 32bit repair disk was just going to be a PITA. It wasn't too bad getting into things as I'd been mucking around a bit with the Pi a bit.

Now I use CentOS at work and have Ubuntu as a HTPC/NAS box (would have gone for OSMC/OpenELEC but I've had pain with those in the past, and everything just works on Ubuntu).

Biggest gripe is that GNOME is crap, and that default settings managers for all distros feel a little sparse.

8. paapicholoo

paapicholoo New Member

Really informative thread