1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. Scroome

Scroome Modder

You learn to make the most of it.

Mine is caused by my crohn's disease. The same over ammuno response that attacks my insides, goes for my joints as well.

Plenty of exercise, nutrients that matter (such as cherries and cherry juice as they are amazing for relieving symptoms) and the amazing meds for it. These days you can lead a pretty normal life, at an early age.

You've been diagnosed, so the getting better can start from now :)

2. Behemoth

Behemoth Timelord in training

I know, and I'm looking to make changes but it kinda hasn't sunk in. I had an MRI scan last month but I only found out via the physio therapist I saw last night. I've been given some exercises to do and go back in 10 days.

Since I went though and I've been prodded and poked can hardly walk due to the pain - but thats to be expected I guess.

First thing I said was I'm 33 not 73 !

3. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I wish you the best. I was diagnosed with seronegative spondyloarthropathy which mimics rheumatoid arthritis, and was diagnosed in January, 2012, though it started in September 2011. I was 20 at the time. Depending on the meds you're put on, you could get some relief within a few days; I was on prednisone for the first month after being diagnosed, and within a day I was able to walk up and down stairs without struggling. My arthritis was all over my body: ankles, knees, lower back, neck. It did still take a few months for the pain to go away so I could return to regular activities such as sports.

Edit: The best over the counter meds are Aleve.

4. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Prednisone is great at working, but it's bad for your body and mind, in the long run.

I turned in to a half crazed fatty.......

5. legoman

legoman breaker of things

Payroll kindly notified me earlier that they are sorry theyve not been paying me correctly for the last year and thanked me for the 10th signed copy of my contract. Checked my pay for this month its actually an invoice for the last year ive not been paid correctly plus this months pay in its entirety. :wallbash:

So now according to them I owe them a little over 8K for a months work. A true Whiskey Tango Foxtrot. Also they closed at five and the payroll system wont be open now till the 5th

6. KayinBlack

KayinBlack Unrepentant Savage

Diagnosed with severe degenerative osteoarthritis at twelve. Caused by Marfan syndrome for me. Worst part is I can't take antinflammatory meds cause of the ulcer that nearly perforated. Until I was on Protonix I stayed anemic from the stomach bleed.

7. asura

asura jack of all trades

York body supports, they do them for wrists, elbows, knees, lumbar and ankles:

I highly recommend the knee "stabiliser" the one with a hole in it is useless, the wrist supports are great too. I wouldn't bother with the ones for ankles they're just too flimsy and can't be worn under footwear anyway. A pair of lightweight ankle/calf boots will work much better. I've never tried the lumbar support so can't comment. Finally (thank goodness) the elbow ones are okay for short/medium periods of use but at an effective tightness they tend to cut off the circulation in an arm after three or four hours.

Some people report problems get worse with the deadly nightshade family try cutting out; potatoes, tomatoes, tobacco, peppers - and I've personally found strawberry's - for a while and see if there's any improvement.

Keep warm. Keep dry - I don't mean don't wash, but foggy mornings, soaked in the rain, all bad.

"Burn it out" I've found some success with hot baths, the hotter the better... if you don't look like a lobster you're not doing it right.

Booze I'm sorry to report, can make things worse, I find beers particularly bad and spirits no problem at all, so it's not the alcohol but something else in the mix.

Fatigue and arthritic pain go hand in hand, each exasperating the other - no advice on this one, just an observation...

Get used to being a bit sore all the time - sounds dramatic but seriously, don't pop painkillers or NSAIDs for every little thing wait till it's pretty bad. Your body doesn't build a tolerance for NSAIDs (well defiantly not for ibuprofen - check others out thoroughly) but you can build a psychological crutch around them and they can loose their perceived efficacy.

Physiotherapy is okay, hydrotherapy is great. Unfortunately most swimming pools are on the chilly side (see above) so can be counter productive, water for exercising should be just below body temperature (32-35C) to encourage gentle exercise.

A couple of chunks of dark chocolate (75% or higher) can take the edge off.

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

I had lost 35 pounds from being inactive and not eating before being diagnosed. I was only on the prednisone for a month, and in that month I easily put on 20-25 pounds. Didn't matter what I ate, I was always full.

Side note, when I switched off the prednisone to vimovo (anti-inflamatory) plus methotrexate (injections, also much stronger anti-inflamatories) I still continued to gain weight. The side effect for most meds is weight gain, so expect to put on some pounds for no reason at all.

9. Scroome

Scroome Modder

Tell me about it.

I've been on Humira for the last six month and I've put on 30lbs.

10. Archtronics

Archtronics Minimodder

EE annual price increases, Sky, Bt and Netflix don't seem to do this and I'm sure there operating costs are similar. It strikes me as money grabbing because they know your signed into a contract.

11. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Go PAYG buddy, best thing i ever did!

the Three 321 SIM is pretty decent, i wack £15 on mine very month or so, lasts an age!

12. panda_uk

panda_uk What's a Dremel?

Overly ambitious people at work who will do anything to get ahead. These type of people would have sold you out to the nazis back in the day.

13. gagaga

gagaga Minimodder

How did you not realise? That's about £700 a month you were paid more than expected????

Ouch. Go see citizen's advice as they can probably give you advice on getting this cancelled, or at the very least spread out over a very long period for payback.

14. Blogins

Blogins Panda have Guns

That's wrong. Since they admitted it's their mistake there needs to be a sensible dialogue.

If they're correct then the difference needs to be paid back in installments, not in lump sums!

15. Pookie

Pookie Illegitimi non carborundum

Another Migraine. And smelling a tobacco/cigarette kinda smell all the time. Weird!

16. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

These 'zero day' weekends. They're starting to grind a bit, if I'm honest. Just clocked my hundredth working hour* for the third week straight, am not finished until ~4 AM tomorrow morning, and I have to work through to Monday morning from tomorrow lunch time.

Work, eat, sleep , repeat.

*includes travel time

/tired whinge

17. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Do you have to work that much in order to earn enough to live?

Seems to be nothing but bad from what you post...

18. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Nope, I have to work that much to keep everyone I work for happy and earn enough to get where I want to be in 3 years time. It's not as bad as it probably sounds, I'm just sick of it at the moment because it's been a stressful couple of months with a lot on my mind.

19. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Working more than 40 hours is mental. No offence. There comes a point when money just doesn't meet the value of the time you put in.

20. theshadow2001

theshadow2001 [DELETE] means [DELETE]

I agree. Doing those kind of week on any sort of continual basis just isn't worth it. I'm having one this week. Basically 4-5 hours sleep a night all week. Then working reasonably consistently for the remainder. But its just this week and it doesn't happen often.

Plus once you start working like that continually you effectively become pretty useless at what you are trying to do. Which already happened to me during this week. Fortunately last night found me a good nights sleep so I'm a bit more clear headed today.