1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

CPU Xeon or Extreme? Pic added on page 4

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Guest-44432, 5 Mar 2011.

1. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

The problem with having 3 30" monitors is not many games are going to play very well @ 4800x1600. Once you start turning down setting to get games to run smoothly you end up making the game look poo. lol.

Cheers,

Simon,

2. lamboman

lamboman What's a Dremel?

Is the rig used for anything intensive other than gaming? Because let alone seeing minimal performance increase, we're talking about seeing none whatsoever. Your best bet is really to wait.

3. [PUNK] crompers

[PUNK] crompers Dremedial

when 2011 comes round i'll buy it off you in marketplace ;)

4. meandmymouth

meandmymouth Multimodder

You can tell I'm not much of a gamer, nor have the luxury of using high resolutions :sigh:

Guess my 1440x900 res will have to do for now. Then again I am using a GTS450 so it might not blow the socks off games at higher res anyway

5. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

When even bit tech users are saying maybe you might be wasting your money with an upgrade you should probably consider the point of it.

Go on a nice holiday instead or save it for a killer 2011 rig, it's only 6 months away.

6. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

Well, I can't wait to see how far you can overclock the little badger! Make a thread about your experiences and settings :D .

7. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

My problem is I can't wait...4.4ghz is the clock I have set my cpu at to run benchmarks. its not 24/7 stable, only a few hrs stable. I usually have it running @4ghz for gaming etc.

Cheers,

Simon.

8. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Sounds good to me.:thumb:

9. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I know what your saying. But we have already booked to go away in May and in September.
    By the time October comes, I would already have enough money to buy a extreme 2011 rig + any money I get back from selling my current one.

Cheers,

Simon.

10. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

I will, only if I find it was worth it!! lol:thumb:

Cheers,

Simon

11. carpetmonster

carpetmonster What's a Dremel?

I went from a 920 @ 4ghz to a 980x. Complete waste of cash. If you were running Adobe after effects and a database that were time critical (heavy workload) it would e worth it. Otherwise no. I bought mine 2nd hand for 625.

If you wanted to boost the speed of your rig (in your sig) drop that old Intel SSD and get newer faster alternatives with a Sata 6gbps card if your mobo doesnt support it.

12. mucgoo

mucgoo Minimodder

13. Bloody_Pete

Bloody_Pete Technophile

Mmmmmmmm Ibis...

14. Guest-44432

Guest-44432 Guest

Ibis hotels?

15. Strudul

Strudul ~

Why are you so rich :(

16. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

If you absolutely cannot resist the urge to throw your money away at every available opportunity, I suggest you give it to charity or something.

I'm very surprised you can't think of anything better to drop £1000 on though - a new car, home renovations, paying off debts/credit cards, saving for certain unforseen circumstances or retirement? It may seem boring, but all those things are waaaaaaay more important than spending money for the sake of spending money just because it's there in your account, and you are less likely to regret them later on....

17. carpetmonster

I wouldn't bother trying to make financial sense on these forums, you'll just end up getting lots of people angry and receive a lot of distorted logic for your efforts.

18. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

There is being sensible, but you could also take the attitude that you could be dead in a week's time, in which case Simon has at least enjoyed his 990x for a few days!

19. smc8788

smc8788 Multimodder

I know, and I'm not usually one to pry into people's business and tell them how to spend their hard-earned cash. But for one, I hate seeing people waste money (especially when it just goes to some giant mega-corporation), and second, the main point of the hardware forums is for people to give advice and suggestions to others, so when it comes to certain component choices and build advice I feel it's only right to suggest where certain savings can be made - in this case, I don't see any point of buying a new CPU when the OP admits he will be selling it in 6 months time at a fraction of the price. There is no logic to that whatsoever.

20. carpetmonster

I have been 'told off' for offering a cheaper graphics card, in two threads than the OP is looking for. Verging on 'how****ingdareyou'. Like you say its a forum, for opinion, if you don't like other people's opinion or you are only posting to get people to validate your misconstrued ideas, just post it up on a blog and make lots of accounts of imaginary people to post reponses agreeing with you.