1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Disaster What hardware have you broken?

Discussion in 'Modding' started by Sc0rian, 23 Apr 2003.

1. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

broke the rumble in my ps2 controller by smashing it on my keyboard for my ps2 and broke off a bunch of keys of the keyboard too.

im not sure if i broke my old ati 9000 video card. i think i tried to OC without knowing what i was doing and i think put it up a couple hundred mhz lol, but im not sure if it actually oc'd but near the end of its life before we replaced it, it didnt work too well.

i also killed a hdd i think. i hear funny noises in the case coming from a fan so i started hitting the case and shaking it. LOL. then there was this louder noise than got louder and louder then stopped. along with my pc. i killed the motor inside the hdd. :p

other than that i dont know what else ive killed. oh. my old SMC router i fried. i would download stuff that was very large in size and leave it on for a day or two or i'd play games online and it killed one of the ports then i killed another. then it got to the point where the router would stop working for liek 10 min at least everyday.

2. Tsen

Tsen Steeped In Romance

Okay...let's see.
    -$15 wireless optical mouse and keyboard. Got what I paid for. Broke the keyboard in half over my knee because I was sick of it eating batteries. (wound up using the innards to build a wallet). The mouse lived a little longer, but bit the dust when I tried to open it up to fix the middle mouse button.
    -Compaq mouse. My first mod attempt, four or five years ago. Tried to paint it, but I was stupid and used cheap latex spray paint on it. The paint was unbearably sticky and wouldn't come off, so I just tossed it.
    -Old PIII computer. The whole thing. That was six or seven years ago, before I knew anything about computers. They were just bargain bin things my mom's school was tossing, so I don't feel too bad. Mixture of ESD and incompatible hardware finally did it in.
    -1980's laptop. Can't remember the model, but I DO feel bad about this one. Frankly, I think it was broke before I touched it, but any way you cut it I put the final nail in the coffin. Plugged it in, but apparently something was shorted inside and the power supply bit the dust in a very smelly, very smoky way.

I almost killed my old Compaq desktop entirely. I was curious, so I decided to pry off the heatsink to look at the processor. The clips baffled me, which is lucky because I didn't know a thing about thermal paste or reseating a heatsink, so if I didn't kill anything with ESD, I probably would've just burned the thing to death. As it was, the computer never ran quiet again since I already pulled the heatsink a bit loose, so it had to run overtime to keep the processor from dying. Got so bad my roommate bought earplugs. Or maybe that was just because I played Half-Life at 3:00 am without headphones...

3. nibble

nibble What's a Dremel?

I might have just broken my 8800GTS :waah:, I pulled a couple' mosfets clean off, hopefully I can solder them back on.

4. Bluephoenix

Bluephoenix Spoon? What spoon?

how did you manage that?

5. xrob

xrob What's a Dremel?

AMD FX57 about 6 months after i got it :( cost me £730 from scan, i wasnt happy, i only snapped 1 pin on it, and could have got it fix if i really put some effort in but i'm just too lazy

many many sets of DSP500's and sennheiser headphones, count must be up to 5 or 6 most from repeatidly ripping them off and throwing them on the ground.
    too many mice to count.

yeh i need anger managment, counter-strike used to piss me off a lot lol.

6. nibble

nibble What's a Dremel?

I had to remove some heatsinks which I had stupidly epoxied on so I could use the stock cooler for a while (I had an MCW60 waterblock and heatsinks on it). Pulled two clean off at the solder joints luckily all the ram modules were fine, there's no way you could put them back on.

7. AJB2K3

AJB2K3 What's a Dremel?

Have you got deep pockets? thats must be almost £300 worth of headphones. :nono::nono::nono:

8. SinxarKnights

SinxarKnights Minimodder

There have only been 2 things I have destroyed. A Wal-Mart HP computer and my old Nvidia MX 4000. Not really sure about the HP comp though, I put it in a new case because the power button had broken, it died on me while trying to play Guild Wars, in fact I was a Monk for my guild group - fighting Undead Rurik, talk about bad timing. It turns out the Southbridge overheated.

The gfx card had a slow, very painful death. Ok don't laugh at me too much but I was still using my MX4000 when I first started playing Guild Wars. I had a hell of an overclock on it and it ran GW great... for about 3 months. The performance slowly degraded to the point where 3D apps crashed upon launch and the titlebar buttons on windows were little black squares. I even had some nice pretty pink and blue lines around the edges of the screen. That card served me well and it will be missed. But hey, 4 years for a gfx card is pretty nice.

Opps, almost forgot. I am with xrob. I break a lot of good earphones too. But with me I usually end up ripping the cord out of the phones because the cord always gets stuck in my chair wheels. Mostly cut cords but a good pull to the wire will act as a quick release that is unrepairable because it takes some of the speaker with it.

9. Fozzy

Fozzy What's a Dremel?

Add a 320gb HDD to the list. The damn sata plastic holder in the HDD connection port broke off. Stupid cheap plastic ports. Can someone PLEASE make a better sata connector?

10. r4tch3t

r4tch3t hmmmm....

Two 250GB drives, one PATA, One SATA. Apparently they don't like air planes as both died after taking them on planes

11. Ryu_ookami

Ryu_ookami I write therefore I suffer.

Holy thread revivals Batman! lol

12. weasal

weasal What's a Dremel?

i blew up the bottom of a HDD, broken a few keyboards and mice (by taking apart) couple of ipods, and about 8 or 9 phones (best one being managing to get a huge crack in my vario 2 when tryin to sort a problem)

13. China-SCF

China-SCF What's a Dremel?

Sympathy your CPU :wallbash:

There are many CPU thermal conductivity :confused:

14. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

I haven't broke anything (yet)... Except of a couple of old unused fans.

PS. I just had to do it... mean bumping this thread...

15. kenco_uk

kenco_uk I unsuccessfully then tried again

I played a part in making a pci usb2 card go pop. It was quite a sight! I'd given my father-in-law my old mobo and plugged the usb2 card in. Once powered up, the usb card looked like it had a very bright led to show it had power going to it, until something went fizzle and a string of black smoke rose up and the bright 'led' went out. One of the teeny tiny resistors had gone so to play it safe the card got ditched.

16. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

A mobo (DFI Lanparty NForce 4 I think), AMD Athlon 2400+, 512mb RAM, PSU, 1 HDD. All in one system, catched fire. Graphic card and DVD Rom ist still fine. :D

17. mm vr

mm vr The cheesecake is a lie

OMG how did you manage to do that??? By pouring gasoline inside and lighting up? :eeek:

18. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

No. I took a RAM stick out and put it back in. Then I pressed the power button - well yeah. You get the deal. Scared the hell out of me. Almost as bad as an inland flight in the USA.

The only bad thing was that the local hardware shop where I bought the stuff had already gone bankrupt. The system was only a year old. Wished I could have made him eat his own balls.

Oh yeah - theoretically I did destroy the case as well. Is a case hardware? ;)

19. icutebluezone

icutebluezone The meaning of life is to MOD

2x 80gb IDE hdd that had xp pro on it and other with linux on it both running on the same 12v rail. I had the hdd just setting in the case standing up and sum how it dropped over and the electics hit the metal frame and pop system shut down and i powered it back on after moving the hdd and smoke start to come out of the big chip on the hdd. Was in 2005. Always install your hdds even if only testing. :(

Other thing i have stuffed was a mouse trying to change the LED in it and stuffed 1 of the tracks on the board. Wasnt to worryed as it was a mouse i got free. :)

20. Sark.inc

Sark.inc What's a Dremel?

well this is what i have RMA'ed so far ;)

2 2900XT's
    1 asus A8N-SLI-E i think??

i think the power supply is killing it all but it was tested fine :s