1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Case Mod - In Progress Project Styx - Updated 4th March

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by stonedsurd, 30 Jul 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

Finally remembered to mirror this log over at BT (insert facepalm here).

I have a HAF 932 that is basically too dusty, given the environment in India. So I am going (trying?) to seal her up as far as possible and watercool. Should help somewhat, and it's the only way I got my dad to sponsor some of the gear.

It's called Styx on the suggestion of a friend, because the primary theme for colors is orange+black. And lots of black at that :p

Day1:

Stuff on my bed. And a muse for inspiration :naughty:
    [​IMG]

The plastic/removable stuff that doesn't get painted:
    [​IMG]

The stuff that got sprayed:
    [​IMG]

That's the PSU trays, the plate that cover the top PSU mount and the rear I/O plate for my DFI DK P45.

It's not the best paint job ever, but then primer is worth it's weight in gold here and the paint isn't even Krylon-quality. Guess you get what you pay for.

Day 2:

Sitting in my room, playing with a lighter when I realized I had MDPC-X sleeving and SATA cables. Made for an interesting night. I am now officially in LOVE with heatshrink :lol:

[​IMG]

Glamor shot o_0
    [​IMG]

Day 3:

Went to Chawdi bazaar, New Delhi's numero uno place for all things metal, and tools to use on 'em. Bought a 3' x 2' sheet of 3mm aluminum and some mesh that I've since junked.

Hand carrying 4-odd kg of aluminum in a Delhi summer (~45 °C) was not fun. :grrr:

Day 4:

No one said this was going to be easy but this is downright criminal. Finding half-decent tools that don't need me to donate organs is impossible. So I chuck it all and get an angle grinder with a circular saw and pray it'll do the job for the 3mm aluminum sheet.

The top panel design and some HAF 932 bits:
    [​IMG]

The grinder+blade combo - it worked better than I expected but it was a wasted expenditure because I'm definitely not using it for the front panel I have planned:
    [​IMG]

The basic idea for the top is to have Radgrillz-esque slits above the 2x120 rad placement in the top of the HAF, but as a part of the top panel (which will be flat, except for upward-facing I/O ports). The entire top is aluminum. Nevermind, pics incoming.

Day 5:

Got the major work on the top panel done. Cut it out of the sheet, made the slits and the I/O ports cutout.

There's the top panel, along with a front panel I'm doing for a friend's mid-tower:
    [​IMG]

That's the I/O that I'm basically going to lift out and use up there:
    [​IMG]

The cuts look like ass, but that's because they're done with an angle grinder. They will be finished up with a Dremel, of course.

Day 6:

Safety goggles broke, so had to get a new (cooler) pair:
    [​IMG]

Since I was doing the finishing of the cuts I made with the angle grinder, I had to use the dremel. This is the size of the blade I started with:
    [​IMG]

And this is what I ended up with after only a few cuts:
    [​IMG]

Evidently they're not made to handle this stuff :hehe:

Finally, I'm almost done with the top. All it needs is filing, sanding, powderc--ohmygod I think I'm gonna cry :waah:
    [​IMG]

Day 7:

Sleeving again. DDC pump and 4 cathodes. :thumb:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Aaaaand... that's all for now.

The heat and the lack of (good) powdercoaters in this city are driving me bananas. I'm off to Goa for a long weekend. Expect updates next week :rock:

Meanwhile, I'd appreciate critiques, suggestions, tips and praise :)))

Last edited: 25 Dec 2009
  2. WolfandAngel

WolfandAngel Got fins?

Good job on the Sleeving :thumb:

hey this log is for +18-:naughty:_ +_ [/COLOR]:nono:=_ :naughty:

Last edited: 1 Aug 2009
  3. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

lol...
    looks good mate!

4. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Nice start, I'll be watching this.

5. MIGUI

MIGUI What's a Dremel?

Excellent job stonedsurd.:thumb:
    Good start.

6. ry@n

ry@n Minimodder

Very cheeky :blush: Great start, is that "Y" peice connected to the pump for a drain port?

7. stonedsurd

Nice group ;) and thanks
    Yup, it's for drain. the pump will sit a lot higher after *proper* isolation (which I have no idea how to do).

@B4Oz, MIGUI & Dont-Fear: thanks! :)

8. codeguruakshay

codeguruakshay What's a Dremel?

hey hi

where do u get your wc stuff in india...i had a hard time finding decent 120mm fans at nehru place

where are u in delhi??

9. stonedsurd

Actually, I have the advantage of being a student in the US, so I ordered most of my stuff over the Spring quarter and carted it back in my baggage ;) You can't get blocks/fittings/rads etc separately in India but you can get kits from Coolermaster and the like. Be warned though - they perform poorly and have pathetic reliability. Not worth the money unless you just want to have some liquid in your case :p
    I divide time between Vasant Vihar and Gurgaon. If you need 120mm fans in Nehru Place, try SMC International in Meghdoot building. They have the good stuff and if for some reason you're looking for something they don't have, they'll order it for you. They have two shops in Nehru Place, so make sure you go to the one on the ground floor. :thumb:

10. stonedsurd

Small update.

Yesterday I did some prepping of the front of the chassis for the new front panel, and cut the side window.

We all know what these are, right?
    [​IMG]

And that's the front after it had been raped :p
    [​IMG]

And here's after a little 'clean-up'. It's going to be hidden anyway, so the untidiness is excusable.
    [​IMG]

I'm hanging onto the CM logo for now at least. Might want to incorporate it somewhere (unlikely).
    [​IMG]

Side window:
    [​IMG]

A look at the corner:
    [​IMG]

And a look down one of the sides. I did it with a Dremel - unsteady hands need not apply :hehe:
    [​IMG]

I'm not entirely satisfied with the simplicity of the side panel design, so I might end up redesigning the whole thing. Make it more about the acrylic than about simply having a window.

We'll see.

Till next time, adios.

11. DonT-FeaR

DonT-FeaR I know what a fk'n Dremel is ok.:D

side panel looks wicked mate i really like it!

12. stonedsurd

^I do hope my vacillating mind will end up agreeing with you :)

Otherwise what I have in mind will end up costing me a pretty packet :blush:

13. stonedsurd

Sleeving, front panel concept and some new stuff

So, I've had a bit of a trying week, and a VERY busy weekend but I did manage to get some stuff done.

First, I got a new toy:
    [​IMG]
    That's a 1" dia hole saw mounted up.

Then, my AWESOME grandmother gave me this stand from something old in her house. Not very inspiring as a stand, but that's a 10mm plate of beautiful brushed aluminum there - PERFECT for my front panel :D
    [​IMG]

Close up of the pre-drilled holes - more awesome good luck. Ain't that finish grand?
    [​IMG]

Then I killed my CCFL kit :p
    [​IMG]

I ripped out the PCI bracket switch and ran the power directly to the inverter. Here's a picture of the join:
    [​IMG]

A bit of heatshrink to insulate:
    [​IMG]

And sleeving the molex (note the markings :p):
    [​IMG]

And that's what we get. Multiply by two and I'm set for two pairs of fully sleeved CCFLs:
    [​IMG]

Mockup for the front panel grill:
    [​IMG]

Closer look:
    [​IMG]

This is just the grill. The actual front panel is going to be a 6.25" x 27" strip of aluminum going up the front and then making a 90° bend to lie on the top panel, to which it will be bolted.

Till next time :thumb:

14. stonedsurd

I seem to be the only one posting here - already set up a 3-owl combo :p. But in the interest of keeping this thread alive, here are some pictures of (more) sleeving.

I did an 8-pin extender and two Xigmatek fans. Still waiting for Girish to ship the third fan, which will get the same treatment :thumb: I keep forgetting to sleeve the 140mm and 230mm fans that came with the HAF but hey, maybe they'll provide me with another update if things go dead again :blush:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. jegerjon

jegerjon What's a Dremel?

Hi mate it looks good! You've got some great ideas going on here :) However, you might want to solder the cables, otherwise it's most likely to create little sparks, and within time you might loose connection. Just a friendly advice :thumb:

16. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Yup. You need to solder your stuff. You will spend too much time chasing a short if you don't.

The first pic in the log is a little too suggestive. It's not the pinup girl. It's the strategically placed tube of TIM right behind her.
    -What were you implying? Was it your subconscious that made you put the little phallic tube filled with creamy white fluid there? :lol:

-I can almost hear you humming the theme from Jaws when you placed it there...

17. stonedsurd

Thanks for the advice. Guess I never thought of that :duh:
    I'm a little wary of running out of sleeving at this moment, so as soon as my PSU is sleeved up, I'll rip that wire apart and solder it.
    *sigh* now to learn how to solder :hehe:
    Dear god, trust you to think of that. ::rolleyes:

Moar in a few days, hopefully :)

18. stonedsurd

Quick update on the top panel - it's about as done as it's ever gonna be (minus paint).

Pics:

Bolted to the top with six M4 x 25mm and two M3.5 x 15mm holding the radiator:
    [​IMG]

Radiator viewed from the front of the case:
    [​IMG]

And from the side:
    [​IMG]

Another shot of the top:
    [​IMG]

More:
    [​IMG]

And here's the SCREW UP of the day. I did the side panel with some archaic push-button CNC thingy and I guess I went a few cm too far.
    [​IMG]

But I did a mockup for the window anyway:
    [​IMG]

Another shot:
    [​IMG]

Just a macro of the bolt heads. I like this shot. Shows how much work is left :(
    [​IMG]

I should have the front panel marked and drilled by the weekend, along with the front switchplate. then everything goes back for sandblasting and powdercoating.

I'm still trying to figure out what to do with the damn side panel... maybe get another one if that's possible. :/
    Does anyone know what other CM chassis side panels fit the HAF 932? I've come to the conclusion that this one is simply a pain to mod with all the mesh and protrusions. :grr:

Last edited: 3 Sep 2009
  19. stonedsurd

Remember this?
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

That's now a switch plate for the front panel. Finally a spot of luck - it's turned out exactly right:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

20. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

My friend stonedsurd!!!! Wow!!! I will watch you with a cup of coffee from Starbucks all they way !!! Keep on modding buddy, I will be here 4 you! :)