1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other What's ruining your life right now?

Discussion in 'General' started by TheMusician, 28 Oct 2009.

1. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

ICC?

2. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

Unless he's up before the International Criminal Court, he's probably referring to the unpopular decision by the by the International Cricket Council to restrict the 2015 cricket World Cup to the current 10 members (no associates). This means that Ireland won't be there but Zimbabwe will, for example.

3. mars-bar-man

mars-bar-man Side bewb.

Gotta be up tomorrow at 9 to finish packing before I go, yet even though I've been in bed for the last 4 hours, I can't sleep. ****ing great. Further more, I also have to be up at work at 5am on saturday...

4. Dragonite

Dragonite Minimodder

To bad you can't sleep :( I have the opposite problem I can't go to sleep even if I want to and will probably sleep as soon as I lie down :( If you have problem sleeping you should contact a doctor there are some miracle pills you can take to sleep. Doesn't help you tonight but for later occasions. Have a prescription myself for those nights when you just can't fall asleep.
    Have to stay up until I can finish a calculator in Visual Basic for a school project since I have a deadline tomorrow or I will fail the course and not get any more student financing from the government :(

5. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Finishing coursework i just sat 3 hours straight writing about 40 pages of A4 on a chair with no back im not close to done and i have to go back to that lesson inna sec to sit on the same damn chair!

My back feels like its being twisted around a lamp post

6. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I saw the girl I like cuddling up with another guy. Then she had the gall to come over to my place to sober up and asked me to walk her to her car. Being the sh**ty wallflower that I am, I did.

I feel like crap.

7. Picarro

Picarro What's a Dremel?

Been there, done that.

Either you get used to it, or you tell her to f off :-/

8. mansueto

mansueto Too broke to mod

Another group project where I've done all the work. Due sunday at midnight or 10pm and one of the 3 other member's messages me yesterday and asked what I did. When I told him I created an entire database and filled it with data he basically told me im wierd for working hard. His exact words were "Are you bored or do you just like work? We have plenty of time this weekend."

He's not the guy that spent 10 hours doing logical database diagrams than creating tables, relationships and populating the tables in sql server. 1 of the other members is my damn neighbour and he couldn't even care. He asked me to play a game of league of legends and I told him I started the project and he said "oh awesome, that means I can play more now." Next time I'm just going to work on my own. Groups are useless.

On top of this still have to write queries to solve some specific credentials as outlined by the prof. I have no faith in my group as they never attend the class so looks like more of my time invested in the project. You might say how come I didn't ask for help... I did. It was easier for me to just do it as a pose to trying to show and explain what to do at a snails pace with the rest of them.

Also unrelated to the above but very frustrating. Ungrateful extended family that expect everything for their pc's for free instantly. Uncles pc breaks, calls me at almost 11pm and I'm in bed. His entire family uses the computer for facebook and pointless things but have no real pc literacy. They seem to have gotten a virus but they didn't do anything. Took me a good 2 hours to get rid of it. Don't have the patience to wipe it for them but I'm sick of them always calling me for pc help at all hours and don't offer a thanks or any money. Once or twice I'm cool with but this seems to happen every 2 months or so for the last year. Next time he comes around I'm just going to tell him I don't have time and see how he likes going somewhere and paying an arm and a leg. Sick of this crap, waste of my time and I get no appreciation.

9. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Just ask for an individual submission?
    Tell your tutor that they've done nothing and you want to submit your own work, leave them to fail.

10. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

One of the reasons I hate groups work, especially for complex database assignments like yours. I did 2 group assignments last year revolving around databases and I did most of the work. Doing another this semester going down the same path. The lecturers say group work is meant to prepare you for the workplace, in reality in the workplace you get fired for not doing your work, assignments just allow you to coast along.

I'm in the same situation as you right now with the PC side of things a well. Built a PC for a friends family over a year ago and they are starting to have issues with it connecting to the internet. Turns out they somehow disabled system restore and corrupted part of windows. A complete format is required and they expect me to jump and fix it for nothing. To backup all their crap and format and re-install is a good 5-6 hours if they provide an external hard drive. Where I work we usually charge $30 an hour for stuff like that.

11. mansueto

100% agree. To make it worse, with SQL Server you have to detach / attach a database so you can't exactly split up the work, it has to be done one 1 computer so only way is for the group to meet up. Why should I waste my time and money to do work with the group that will slow me down when I could just do it at home myself. The whole idea of a group project for a database that can't really be shared and combined at a later point in time makes no sense.

As for the re-installation, last time I had to do a reformat I told them I will not back up any data or programs, and I will return the pc in a "new" condition. Needless to say they were pissed off when it didn't have anything on it. I clearly told them ahead of time it would be windows and just that and they got angry at me for not installing software that I didn't have. People are just ungrateful. I normally don't charge people, I'm the guy that will call on people for favours at a later time.

Fixed my friends pc and gave him a usb expansion port because he had no extra ports. He was really grateful and he picked me up / dropped me off, good friend of mine, fed me so w/e. He also works at bestbuy. I decided I was going to buy my brother a new subwoofer for his car, so I went to visit said friend and he hooked me up. Saved me 120 bucks on a sub that I would have still paid full price for. I also know that said friend doesn't abuse his employee discount for people at school, he only uses it for his family / self.

12. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

Don't get me wrong. I usually don't charge people and usually like doing it but I think when it comes to computer jobs people expect to much. I work as a part time repair tech for my friends business and considering all the jobs I have done for free I could have finished my project car by now lol.

13. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Been there and done that :rolleyes: Although there was rarely any alcohol involved in my (or her) case. Still, same ballpark. You have my sympathy mate.

I decided a long time ago that I didn't want to, and wouldn't work for free, for anyone. I couldn't give a rats ass what people think when I give them a bill after doing what they consider to be a "favour". I'm not running a charity and in my honest opinion, you should charge everyone for those PC jobs, no matter how small they are.

I'm still trying to convince one individual who thinks I will do bits and pieces of work FoC that I'm either getting paid for it or not doing it at all. He'll realise some day.

14. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

Yeah, if i ever do anything for anyone I get payment of some sort, doesn't have to be money (last friend I upgraded his gpu and a couple of other things, I got his old RAM and gpu, both of which I've put to good use)
    Otherwise people begin to expect more and more for free

15. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Does she know you like her?

I assume not because sounds like she s being a biatch else, just point out to her you don't like being the third wheel or whatever not the one she falls back on when she feels like it maybe she might catch your drift

Because it sounds like she probebly takes you for a ride a bit

Hey wait a darn second "Sober up" "Walk her to her car" WHAT!?! Tell her to walk home by her self if she is'nt capable to walk to her car she probebly is'nt capable to drive

16. knuck

knuck Hate your face

I just can't get myself to charge people. The day I almost got killed my parent's friend came over with his laptop and asked me to fix it and I just said yes. (0_o)

He did pay me but I didn't ask him to

17. faugusztin

faugusztin I *am* the guy with two left hands

Can't find my Phillips screwdriver :D.

18. PureSilver

PureSilver E-tailer Tailor

+1, I also accept payment in drinks. It's simply too much bloody work to salvage someone's files, disassemble their laptop, clean the horrible hair and dust balls out, scrape off the old chewing gum and put actual TIM in, reinstall Windows on what is usually a ancient C2D with 1GB of RAM, reinstall all their old software, transfer their files back over and then lecture them on the importance of a good backup regime for me to do it all for free. Firstly, because otherwise EVERYONE starts, secondly because they then keep coming back to you the next time they ignore your advice and install every pop-up-suggested-software... :wallbash:

OT: Guess what my brother wants me to do for his laptop?

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Well if it's literally a quick favour to help someone out then I won't charge but let me put it this way: Time is money, money keeps businesses going, and helps smaller businesses grow in size. Every hour in the day that I spend doing favours for someone is another hour that I could be getting paid for, by another customer or client. When you're actually in business it's a much more black and white affair, when you're doing bits and pieces for a friend, family member or relative who knows you're "good with computers" then it's a grey area.

20. mansueto

Next time someone comes to me for help bar the people in my own house (brothers, sister, parents) I'm going to tell them I don't have time for their crap unless they are willing to pay. That way they either piss off or pay me. My parents pay for pretty much everything, my brothers drive me anywhere, and my sister is too young to know any better plus my parents will "make" me fix her laptop if she muffs it up. Fortunately since my parents aren't too pc literate they always ask before clicking things and play it safe so virus's aren't an issue. My brother doesn't use his pc much and my other brother isn't a complete retard and knows how to back up his own stuff if he needs something done.