1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Films The Official bit-tech Movie Thread - What have you seen lately?

Discussion in 'General' started by knuck, 13 Jun 2010.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

The Hallow 6/10

Think dog soldiers mixed with 2 x-files episodes; Firewalker and Darkness Falls. Fairly tense, but usual protagonist retardedness slightly irritating, ultimately it was mostly shite, but entertaining shite. Special effects were descent considering I doubt they had much of a budget.

2. Xir

Xir Modder

Kung Fury So-Bad-it's-Good/10

Hilarious, if you're old enough to know

yes, but also on Youtube, and I'm sure elsewhere too :D

Friends with Kids 5/10

a thorough "Meh", mediocre in every way.

3. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Alien
    WOW that aged well /10

Yes, it was the director's cut, and no, it's not nearly as scary as it was when I first saw it (by which time it must have been 15 years old).
    The striking things this time around: WOW - the film is 36 years old. Sure, some of the effects are balls of cheese by modern standards (specifically the blowing up of the Nostromo), but for the most part, things look great.
    Also: Damn - there' H.R. Giger EVERYWHERE.

4. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

and
    bitten by a cobra!
    don't forget that part!

5. crazyg1zm0

crazyg1zm0 Minimodder

Saw something about the working hero scanner the other day, and how it was an old portable CRT TV and the working one had to be shot from certain angles as there was a tube sticking out the back.

I think im going to be watching this film tonight always been one of my top films and been slight too long since i saw it.

He also Lost his partner remember guys, the emotional back story gets you in the feels.

6. Xir

Xir Modder

John Wick 7/10

Finally an assassin smart enough to make sure his kills are kills!
    by making sure everyone gets a liberal amount of headshot
    :D

7. RedFlames

RedFlames ...is not a Belgian football team

RED - Open the Pig!/10

8. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Crimson Peak 8/10

It's not Guillermo del Toro's usual horror fare. In fact, it is best viewed as a Victorian story of a doomed marriage in the Jane Eyre mould, but with the Gothic dialled way up to 11. Subtle it ain't --in fact the symbolism hits you over the head with metaphorical steam hammers-- but the ancestral mansion where most of the story takes place is beautifully staged and Jessica Chastain eats the scenery as the mad sister. An enjoyable romp if taken for what it is.

The Martian 10/10

I know, this one has been mentioned several times. Just watch it. It is your solemn duty as a geek. I mean: "I'm going to have to science the **** out of this" 'nuff said.

Last edited: 22 Nov 2015
  9. Yaka

Yaka Multimodder

Ant-man 8/10 ive enjoyed all the mcu films thus far and the toons on disney xd, but yet another fun enjoyable film

Sent from my SM-P905 using Tapatalk

10. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Maze Runner - Scorch Trials
    Several Blah / 10
    This is what desperation does. You watch mindless stuff. This is completely mindless.

Hitman - Agent 47
    5/10

Visually, this film tried very hard to pay tribute to the hitman games (at least the few I played). However, I get really rritated when a game that primarily revolved around stealth and planning turns into "Wanted 14" and mindless "shoot everyone".

11. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

I never understood why they couldn't play the Hitman films as drama/thrillers instead of action. I hope Splinter Cell doesn't suck as much (if it ever releases).

12. Xir

Xir Modder

Roseanna's Grave 4/10

Not as funny as it could have been, and it aged badly as well.

The Giver 6/10

Missed this one, I suspect it's another youths book adaptation and some of it is missing in the movie.

In that category:

Fast & Furious 7 drivel/10

I was expecting mindless popcorn-action, but even so it was still a lowlight. The somehow managed to take the entire fun out of it.
    That said, the wife says "we've seen worse", I agree.

Last edited: 23 Nov 2015
  13. bionicgeekgrrl

bionicgeekgrrl Minimodder

Terminator Genesys 6/10.

Nothing ground breaking really, with some funny lines from Arnie. At least it wasn't quite as bad as Salvation...

14. thom804

thom804 Minimodder

Ant-Man 8.5/10
    I'm a lover of all the MCU (even Thor 2!) and this one is another fantastic entry.

Paul Rudd is a quality bit of casting, as the one-liners are heavily implemented into this film, even moreso than Guardians of The Galaxy, and his presence enables the puns and gags to run flawlessly.

Can't wait for Captain America: Civil War now that I know he'll be featuring pretty heavily.

15. Aterius Gmork

Aterius Gmork smell the ashes

Jessica Jones: 7/10

This series was a pleasant surprise this weekend. I really dislike most Marvel super heroes movie adaptations, esp. the Avengers. Too many special effects but no plot or character development.

Jessica Jones is different. The character is no shining white knight with godlike powers but a flawed alcoholic with a deeply troubled history who is just a bit stronger than everyone else. Kyrsten Ritter does a really good job portraying her helpless struggle against the seemingly invincible Kilgrave (played brilliantly by David Tennant).

If you can appreciate drama try this show. However if you are looking for explosions and half gods in tights you might want to give this show a miss.

16. Xir

Xir Modder

Jurassic World 6/10
    probably not doing it justice, even though there's a lot of been-there-done-that feeling in there.

No Good Deed 4/5
    an underwhelming, boring thriller

17. BentAnat

BentAnat Software Dev

Jessica Jones
    7.5/10
    This was good. Good character depth - more in David Tennant's character than the res - and it managed to be slow without becoming too much of a mission to watch.

Tomorrowland
    4/10
    What a pile of trash. The story is just weird and somewhat dumb. The acting is meh, there are too many inconsistencies.

Ant Man
    7.5/10
    Entertaining (in spite of Paul Rudd), fun and there's a very good looking fight with Falcon in it.

Ted 2
    7/10
    WAY better than I anticipated. The first film was mildly amusing. This one had me properly laughing at times.

18. stonedsurd

stonedsurd Is a cackling Yuletide Belgian

100% agreed. I would, however, give Jessica Jones an 8.5/10.

I'm only docking points because the pacing through the season (remember, this is Netflix, so I binged all 13 episodes over two days) was a wee bit inconsistent, and the season finale was somewhat anticlimactic after some seriously adrenaline-filled preceding episodes. These are minor niggles, though. It was some truly fantastic, mature work from a studio mostly known for catering more to the aforementioned 'explosions and demigods-in-tights' crowd.

Plus, it's made me get over my reluctance to try Daredevil, and the first episode of that show seems similarly promising. Looks like all the fun stuff is happening off the silver screen these days!

19. goldstar0011

goldstar0011 Multimodder

Spectre - 6/10

Felt a bit dizzy with all the scene jumping and although the idea of an overall controller for all the previous films bad guys I just didn't feel it worked.

But on the other had, I felt more connected to Q and M than previous films, Bond relying on them shows he's not a loner as much.

Well done Daniel Craig, now time to pass on the torch

20. d_stilgar

d_stilgar Old School Modder

The Search for General Tso - 7/10

Often times the journey we take to answer a question is more interesting than the answer itself. This is not the case in this movie. It's interesting enough as a documentary, but it felt amateur and stretched out. Its biggest payoff is that it makes me want to eat Chinese food, and that's never a bad thing.