1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

Yeah, 97db in small speakers is pretty excellent tbh. You only tend to find higher in enormous speakers.

Ed. Forgot to say. Amazon screwed me over on the sub. Waited until delivery day and it had vanished from my orders. Looked at cancelled orders, there it was. Apparently their supplier was out of stock. Yet, I didn't order it from the supplier I ordered it from Amazon SARL or whatever it's called.

And of course, the cash has not gone back into my account yet either.

Not sure what to do now. There are some available in Denmark, for the same price, but yeah that could take a while with the borders closed.

2. Vault-Tec

Noticed all of the ones in Denmark had been pulled. Had another search on Amazon, this thing came up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

So I have ordered it. I just hope they are not depending on stock from elsewhere again. It's a bit of an upgrade as it has a 8" driver. Price was good, and I know Earthquake make fantastic subs.

3. Vault-Tec

Tonight's ditty, convert stands to spikes.

[​IMG]

Better.

[​IMG]

I also converted the media PC to a blue LED.

Have now ordered.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The wiring is a mess. I guess that is what happens when you build a system over time, adding to it. The original cable management becomes useless. There's no point messing with it now until the rack comes. Then I will rip it all out and start again.

4. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

This is a copy/paste of a question I asked on the WhatHiFi forum, here to ask for other opinions:

First up, I love my Pathos Converto MK2 and Focal Elegias but, they tie me to my PC in the study. What I would like is to be able to listen to music in the lounge with my feet up sometimes. I am considering a Dragonfly Cobalt and Shure SE425s. Based on reviews they should provide sound quality that will keep me happy, the kit I am using has set my expectations high and, reviews suggest the SE425s have good noise isolation, whilst being wired and without ANC. Any thoughts, especially with regard to possible alternative IEMs? That the SE425s are not the latest thing doesn't bother me. BTW, at first I will be using my Samsung Galaxy S8 then, later on, an iPhone 12, also the budget for the IEMs can be higher if it's going to make a nice difference.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2021
  5. Vault-Tec

Ain't gonna lie that was the hardest trip up the 104 steps.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Stoked, though. Not going to fit it until I have done the wall sockets.

Arboreal and B1GBUD like this.
  6. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Personally I'd go ifi hipDAC & Moondrop Starfield's for a portable setup. You will need a lightning to USB (camera) adapter for the iphone.

7. Vault-Tec

Oh and I might have secured another Tag 60p. To power the centre I don't have yet lol.

Arboreal likes this.
  8. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

I love my Chord mojo - it was a reasonable chunk of change, but in the days when I used to go places and sit at a desk in an office for work, it was my companion all day every day. If you like the sound of Chord stuff, you'll love it. I think others on here have one, including our very own @Mister_Tad and he uses his with Shure IEMs to great effect.

9. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Mojo + SE846 here, a true delight. I couldn't shouldn't imagine any better mobile setup.

I've found the noise isolation on the SE846 as good as any noise cancellation headphones I've used (which are admittedly limited only to the Bose and B&O ones I've had on planes).

Last edited: 7 Jan 2021
  10. Mr_Mistoffelees

That's interesting about noise isolation, a major reason I was looking at Shure and, I know Bose ANC is well regarded. The Mojo, though I know it is very good, is beyond my planned budget, may look at used.

11. jinq-sea

They were changing hands for about 275quid a while back - which wasn't too bad.

Mr_Mistoffelees likes this.
  12. Mr_Mistoffelees

I'll keep my eyes open.

13. saspro

saspro IT monkey

£260 on CEX at the moment

14. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

You'll sleep well tonight after al that exertion, so long as you've taken some painkillers!

Moar TAG? hoovering up the world supply just like 2 people PUBG looting who will remain nameless!!
    Hint, one ISN'T called Martin Lotter King, but should be :lol:

15. Mr_Mistoffelees

Well, had speaks with the wife, thought some more, decided my budget could stretch a bit.

A Mojo and Shure SE535s on the way (hope they suit my ears).

trigger and Vault-Tec like this.
  16. jinq-sea

Congrats, @Mr_Mistoffelees - I hope you are pleased. It's a cool setup.

@Vault-Tec nice to see a load of McLaren hi-fi again.

Vault-Tec likes this.
  17. Vault-Tec

LOL. TBH he isn't as bad as D. M misses things. D doesn't ! I've watched him :D He missed a nice scope the other night so I nicked it before he could double check :D

Apparently I am getting some TMC interconnects with this one. And some bi wire cables for the centre. I should have gone to AVF ages ago. I know there was a huge fan base on there, many of them are still around tbh.

It just seems to be one of those things that is either smashed, scratched and nasty, or people want blood for. I've watched the prices increase all year. This, however, is reasonable. About the same I paid for the other one, but the legendary "Kevin" has been inside this one. He's the guy that used to do all the upgrades and repairs etc, so I know it's been re capped.

Arboreal likes this.
  18. Vault-Tec

Oh what fun.....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

One side is done... It's actually very easy, given the wiring comes from above. That said on the other side I have to crawl my big fat ass about 4 metres into what looks like a torpedo chamber. Hopefully I won't get stuck LOL.

B1GBUD likes this.
  19. Vault-Tec

OK. Not sure if this will be the end, or if I will replace it. No idea.

I sold most of my old gear today for a decent price. Held out for asking too, given it was all mint. Went shopping for the centre, but then realised something. All of the speakers I had lined up (Dynaudio, Polk, Klipsch, and even Sonus Faber) were all not bi wire. I wouldn't normally care, but I have a stereo amp and I do not want one channel with no load on it. I would imagine it's really not good for it. Bugger ! so back to square one.

Then I thought "Hey, sod it search for a Quad one !". And this came up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Boxed in mint condition.

[​IMG]

For £89 inc. I can bi amp it, see how I get on and if I want something like, uber, I can buy that later.

20. Vault-Tec

Five hour nightmare to do a two minute job. First clear out the eaves...

[​IMG]

Then crawl into the fart cave. I needed to check the wiring all the way on the right side to make sure it went up. It does. So I was clear to do this.

[​IMG]

I know, I didn't use the pattress. Nor did I use banana plugs. There is a reason for that. The cabinet that goes in there would foul the pattress box, and banana plugs. So I needed to keep it low profile.

[​IMG]

I then spent about four hours putting the room back together. The fart cave was a nightmare. Firstly because I felt like a torpedo being stuffed into a barrel, and secondly because on the second run I farted (and lay there laughing) and then realised I had to prone backward, straight through the cloud. It was so bad. Like, now I know how Andy Duphrene felt at the end of Shawshank. I was also greeted with a large pile of building waste (lazy bastards) so when I got out I looked like this.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yeah not doing that again, I can barely move today.

The good bit is the 60i is now with its brethren.

[​IMG]

So when the 1m RCAs come I am sorted.

trigger and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.