1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete ⭐ The Iron Turnip--6-2019-complete. final pictures on page 29

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Cheapskate, 18 Jul 2014.

1. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Awesome! It looks like the insides of a back-pack particle accelerator. :dremel:

In that last shot, is it resting on cookies?:worried:

2. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Thanks, everyone.:D:D

@Disturbed - Maybe cheaps needs to put ALL the O-rings in and not rely on the leak test did over a year ago on the reservoir. :p

@Dr. Coin - I thought about it, but the spot that needs squashing is next to the O-ring seal to the pump.

@Attila - Glad you like.:D I'm definitely not taking it on a plane. :lol: They are kinda macaroon-ish. Those are lead shot & leather paperweights from my Dad's cartography/drafting supplies. -really handy.

[​IMG]
    Anyone else think this is absurd? Fancy computer clutter.:lol: Anyway, testing is good. No leaks, and she runs cool. I will say the pump sounds like a weed wacker at the moment. I noticed the inlet is resting against another pipe. I'l fix that later.

3. Cheapskate

My Purple Cap...

[​IMG]
    -Mounting this chunk of fan clutch has troubled me for a while. It wouldn't clear the hump in the tank without hacking a bit out of it, and there's not enough metal to really tap screw holes into it. Getting a neat line on such a crazy shape to cut along was impossible too. My solution was to mill out a purple do-hickey.
    [​IMG]
    -Purple do-hickey gave me a place to seat screws, and it could be epoxied to the clutch. Here I'm using a bit to line up risers for fusing.
    [​IMG]
    -The plate's mounted up. There's some foam under the points to compensate for the curved surface.
    [​IMG]
    -A ton of spot filing later, and the clutch seats on top. Once I get this cleaned, I can glue the two together.
    [​IMG]
    -For padding: I found one of my Dad's old field manuals. Neat.:D
    [​IMG]
    -But holy crap, that's intimidating stuff in there. No wonder he always lost his patience trying to teach me math.:lol:

Thanks again to my sponsors:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: 12 Jul 2017
  4. disturbed13

disturbed13 What's a Dremel?

there wouldnt happen to be an ISBN number on that book?!
    kinda looks interesting to me...
    but im
    <<

5. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

And thats the field guide… I hate to think what the office/classroom version looks like. :week: Memories of university flooding back to me, ah stop it.
    On topic: The do-hickey looks good. The third picture reminded me of an astromech droid.

6. EnviousMods

EnviousMods Minimodder

Man that purple cap is quite impressive. In a big fan of re-using materials for case/scratch builds. This build log has it all. Awesome sauce Cheaps.

7. Cheapskate

Thanks, guys.:D
    @Disturbed - Looks like a private publication for the Geophysical Society. -Oh God! I just noticed the page numbers are in hexadecimal. :lol:
    FINALLY! Now if I could get a female to say that...:worried:

8. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

This IS Art.

(nvidia cube spotting!)

9. Cheapskate

Compliment my doo-hickey some more.:D
    [​IMG]

-Here we have a test cut for a leg, a valve spring from a lawnmower engine, and a brass cap from a sink drain assembly. The earlier complicated leg design was discarded because I want wobbly free-floating spring action. :D

[​IMG]

-It's a better fit than it looks. This part will help me figure out where to drill. I'm having to be strategic with the parts placement since the slide in module is a perfect fit. One wrong screw, and she won't go together.

[​IMG]

-More plumbing. I had to cut some more off the open end.
    [​IMG]

-The top of the can needs ventilation for the PSU.
    [​IMG]

-Lots of really loud cutting disc action later...
    [​IMG]

-Don't ask me how I threaded that. After wiring GG and BLoo, This was a cakewalk. Wait 'till you see what I have to do to 'thread' those holes.
    [​IMG]

-And there's a test fit for the sink faucet. BobaFett periscope?

10. Cheapskate

I noticed I spent an entire month Spring cleaning. I gotta post something for the kiddies.
    [​IMG]
    -Ah, spring, and it's warm enough to paint... in February. Here we have to wait for the yellow cloud of pine tree pollen to dissipate before painting.
    I've never spent a penny on blue tape, but I've amassed a considerable supply of it anyway.
    [​IMG]
    -The color scheme is purple, but I have a stack of RED fans given to me for GG's Custom PC write up. I don't have a red build even planned in the future.
    [​IMG]
    -If you need to swap out LEDs on any of these Phobiya fans... Drill the holes out. The fit is way too snug to get New LEDs in straight.
    -Annnnd... I don't seem to have any testing pics of the new UV lights. I guess you can use your imagination. :/

11. InsolentGnome

InsolentGnome Minimodder

When life gives you red fans...make lemonade? *shrugs*

12. Dr. Coin

Dr. Coin Multimodder

Never really been a fan of illuminated fans, and seeing the mess of wires under that fan just makes me glad I never bothered to use them.

13. Vault-Tec

Vault-Tec Green Plastic Watering Can

I want my blue tape back :D

14. Cheapskate

@insolent - Keep working on that one.
    @Dr.Coin - There's the braided 4 wire cable and a power switch hanging off too. I gotta do some stuff to make all that fit in the case.
    @Vault-tec - Is a big silver ball OK?

15. Convert

Convert What's a Dremel?

Your work is deceptive. Some might think it's ghetto at first but when you're done, it's amazingly well done. In comparison I feel like I have well finished parts to begin with and still can't get it to look as good as your work.

You're a combination of Leonardo da Vinci and MacGyver.

16. Cheapskate

Thanks. :D
    It's all in the photos. You don't see the nasty scars in the metal if I don't photograph them. A lot of the salvaged bits are rough.

17. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

For this there is filler.

Long live the mighty Bondo.

18. Cheapskate

I'm not a big fan of U2...

I don't want to use bondo on a bare metal setup. I thought about stripping the radiator too, but there's not enough brass. -However there's a few spots like a rivet hole in the fangrill that might get filled.

19. B NEGATIVE

B NEGATIVE All Hail Kim Jong Magoo!

I dont use Bondo at all,we dont get it in the UK...we get...

[​IMG]

or,if you really means business....

[​IMG]

if you want to retain the bare metal look then you need a metal based epoxy,Bostick do a good one thats not available for the UK market (dont ask where I got it.....) but you may have better luck in the US.

I will PM a pic of it,if you cant get it in the US then I can mail you some?

20. Cheapskate

Pass. :D I'm still some using plexi to fill spaces and a whole can of silver paint.-Besides, I've seen shipping costs to the UK.