1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

TribalOVERKILL's LiquiD EVOLUTION

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by tribaloverkill, 3 Jun 2007.

1. Teyber

Teyber ******

haha, this thread and cheapskates blooballs is giving the forums some great new ideas over the past weeks... lathe bits, Casting, Improper(but awsome) use of tools... :D keep it up fellas!

2. Captain Slug

Captain Slug Infinite Patience

I worked up in CAD one way to potentially solve the center rod flexing issue by fixing the end caps in a different manner.
    [​IMG]
    If you had an alternative method of holding the end caps in place (screws in from the sides maybe?) the center of the end cap on the inside could have a pocket where you could install a flanged ball bearing or just a sleeve bearing to hold the axle for the SpinFX.

Just an idea.

3. tribaloverkill

tribaloverkill Who needs sleep,... bah.

Thats cool but there's to much involved. The rod doesnt really flex. It's just that if you should bend the rod,... if you dont perfectly straighten it out again,.. it will be a problem. I'm I'm goign to have the company use stain steel rod but very thin, thin enough for 4-40 threads. This way if you should bend the rod a bit,... it wount be that much of a problem. NOW,... I do like the idea of using screws to hold the end caps on. If I did that,... instead of having a whole rod pass through the center of the reservoir,... I could only have small little rod nubs on each side. I wouldn't even need to use copper. I could use acrylic rod nub things. The only thing I dont like is that the screws would have to screw into the acrylic by means of acrylic threading. Acrylic threads are strong,... but its just the idea of it really. You dont have to torque the screws in hard because there just thre to hold the caps on. The o-rings hold the caps on themselves. OH! I have an idea,... I could drill a hole through the end cap and than have two holes on each side of the body,... I could pass a stainless steel rod through all the holes. each side of the rod is threaded. this way there are no acrylic threads. What do you think?

4. Captain Slug

I can't think of anything simpler or more cost effective than screws. And you'll really only need a 50% thread.
    And yes you wouldn't actually need ball bearings. A precisely shaped acrylic rod or even a drilled hole would suffice.

But I did think of a way to fasten them with quick-release pins, even though those are kind of expensive at $1.30-$1.60 each. They would make the end caps ridiculously easy to remove though.
    [​IMG]
    or
    [​IMG] with hex or acorn nuts loctite adhered to the threads

You would need a minimum of two per end cap. And they would insert from the side and lock into holes drilled partway from the bottom of the end cap.
    [​IMG]
    Makes the end caps comparatively easy to machine and now you don't have to use copper or stainless steel rod for anything.

Last edited: 19 Nov 2007
  5. tribaloverkill

AHHH you nailed it! I was thinking the same thing!!! Screws would be the easiest way to do it. The next way was the quick release but they are kind of excessive. Another way I though tabout trying to do is make my own locking mechamisn from the inside of the cap. Using two small acrylic rods and a spring;)The spring pushes the rods outwards into the holes. You push the rods in to get the end piece off. This is the way I would like to do it. It would be fairly easy too. The only thing though is that I would have to rethink the whole propeller assembly. Because the rod does go from one end to another,... to have a rod that long, about 1" glue from one side and not the other,... it might not be all that stable. I dont know. I'm thinking if I sink enough of the one end of the rod into the end piece and then glue,.. it would be fine. Its only 1". I dont expect these reservoirs to be bomb proof you know?!?! that would be the easiest way to do the prop assembly because I wouldnt have to change anything.

You guys think I should hold off sending these to acryan and experiment some more? Hmmm,... I really should give it a go. Oh wait,... how would I cut the end pieces?!?!? With teh new end piece I dont need to drill all the way through the end peice because the rod doesnt go from one side to the other. But to cut the end piece I need that hole for the bolt! Damn,... I wish I had a lathe. Wait,... I have an idea,...

6. Thrillseekah

Thrillseekah What's a Dremel?

Your movies rock mate! And so do the res. definetly going to own one of these when the come out.!

7. Captain Slug

You could still drill all of the way through the center, then once the end piece is finished just seal the hole by gluing in a short section of rod. That rod could then be acting as the peg to hold the axle of the sfx.

The new end cap (if designed carefully) could be swapped out with the older design without changing any of the other parts.

Let me know if you need the CAD files.

8. pigme1000000

pigme1000000 What's a Dremel?

tribal have you ever thought about doing a pc case tottaly in perspex? as i think it would most likely be one of the best looking cases around if you did!! just a thought......

9. tribaloverkill

Yea thats what I was thinking but I dont want it to come from the factory like that though. So for prototyping reasons I'll give that a go,... Goign to try and make some internal locking mechanism using 2 little rods and a spring. I think that would be hot. But I have to figure out what to do about the prop assembly. I have images flashing through my head of what can be done but they are blurry. I have to sit down and think it through. All the possibilies. BUT,... I am going to try this out after I fininh these reservoirs. Dont want to keep these guy waiting anymore.

@ Thrillseekah - You haven't seen anything yet:) Dude,... I'm like a bit cam shy right now but I am definitely getting use to talking into the cam so my real personality will arise soon. I haev to get another cam though. I think mine is broke. I mean it is broke but I want to find out whats broken on it. this sucks. Second used cam out for the count.

10. tribaloverkill

Ehhh,.... thought about it but there is something I have to do first;) When you see it,... you'll thank me;)

11. pigme1000000

im a great fan of perspex,and love your work....i made a case a year ago out of perspex,wich i thought turned out rather well,but after seeing your res's i wished id put sume moving items in my res too.....do you ever make one off's for people ?
    ps heres my old case....ive posted the pics on a few forums so you may hav seen it ,then on the other hand you may not!!!!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. tribaloverkill

Thats cool dude. It looks very industrial. I like this look. Very good job.

13. Thrillseekah

Thrillseekah What's a Dremel?

@Tribaloverkill, going to be funny u camera shy and in a couple of months in a big-brother like studio. Thats going to be some seriously funny and weird adventure for u i think!.

@pigme1000000 As for the perspex case like it mate, is the hdd stil working?

14. pigme1000000

nope the hd was just for show,as i took the cover off and put a perspex one on but i never worked after that,bummer as i lost all my stuff on there and never backed it up hehe,o well live and learn, thanx for the compents ....carnt wait to see your perspex case tribal!! when you gt round too it .

Last edited: 19 Nov 2007
  15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

And again... I WISH we could get perspex in the US... The color options are awesome.
    That cap pin idea... What if it doubled as a mounting bracket?

16. E.E.L. Ambiense

E.E.L. Ambiense Acrylic Heretic

Yeah. I'd like to see the color selection IRL. TBH, I'm fine with the plain ole' cast acrylic I've been sourcing from Delvie's for a while now though. But you're right, Cheapskate, variety's good!

17. ledbythereaper

ledbythereaper What's a Dremel?

I'm going to have wet dreams over that :hehe:

18. tribaloverkill

I have plans for a mounting system. I am actually working on it now. The whole new locking end caps,... I have to put that off the the side for a bit. I have to finish these customs. My time is limited already.

Last edited: 21 Nov 2007
  19. tribaloverkill

Ok,... I have my brackets all planned out. Tomorrow is a lot of sanding and polishing before I get to cutting these out. Once I cut them out it polishing will be next to impossible because of the odd shape and size. Till then,...

20. Teyber

Teyber ******

i expect to be amazed in roughly 24 hours :D