1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Project Stealthlow - Completed - preview of project next

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Waynio, 30 Nov 2010.

1. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

:D:):geek::cooldude:

2. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

Nice job on the SSD & cabling :)

3. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

That all looks bloody awesome Wayne! Well done, I love the floating SSD.
    PLEASE don't paint, andonise or anything, or you'll burn in hell- my microwave.

4. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Natural anodization could look fine, I think.

5. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

Since anodization is so thin, your "brushed" look should remain. :D

6. Nutman

Yes, exactly. It probably won't do anything other than protect the finish from natural oxidation.

Last edited: 24 Mar 2011
  7. Monkey Puzzle

Monkey Puzzle Minimodder

Wayne, this prohect is looking better and better. Really coming together beautifully! :)

seems they're quite popular - got one myself!

8. Javerh

Javerh Topiary Golem

Ripples and scratches remain even through anodizing. If you look carefully at naturally anodized profiles all around you some of them have streaks. If not on the top surface, then on the back side. It's a common problem with extruding.

9. Nutman

Yes, it's important that the surface has been prepped before you anodize, because anodizing will NOT conceal any scratches. It will just change the surface colour (and its conductivity) - think of it as simply moving a colour slider in eg. Photoshop. It just changes the colour - it doesn't cover anything.
    Now, the way that light interacts with whatever colour that you choose might give the impression that some scratches have been concealed, but that's not the case. It's just an optical camouflage, so to speak...

10. ringo

ringo What's a Dremel?

Cool prject, the parts who you made are looking very good. The case looks fantastic.

11. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Thanks Graham :thumb: the sleeving "was" going ok :duh:.

:D Thanks KidMod :thumb: I've decided I'll make my mind up 100% on the finishing once it's finished I'm finding it's putting too much of a question on the project when it isn't even ready yet :lol:.

Suppose but there is brass inserts in the motherboard tray & you don't mix metals when anodising it's a massive nono, there are also steel helicoils in the mobo panel & a couple of other parts, all of the steel helicoils could be plugged/masked though but I doubt it'll be possible to plug/mask the brass inserts on the mobo tray as they are at surface level.

It would completely remain, this is why I want to anodise & I'd go over any areas that have scratches & re brush so it's perfect before taking to an anodising place ;), it's not thin it's microscopically thin but tough protection.

:lol:

Thanks MP :thumb:.

I know what anodising is :thumb: which is why I'd rather have a pro do it for me, I really don't fancy messing with hazardous chemicals :D.

:lol::duh: But thanks for letting me know in case I didn't know :thumb:.

Thanks ringo appreciated :thumb:.

Update

:duh: The cabling was going perfect & when I was prepping the corsair ATX cable to take the modded wires & with being a bit sleepy I made the mistake of taking out the pins on the wrong end of the corsair cable so I don't know which cables go where, the wiring on that cable, they don't go where you'd expect them to & has 4 wires that have 2 going into 1 I already made the solution for that but yeah I don't know where the heck the wires go so I'm screwed :lol:, I've emailed corsair explaining the situation & hopefully they'll help me out on getting a replacement cable, I don't mind if I have to pay for it, sooner do that than need a new psu :lol: if only I did 1 at a time :duh:.

12. Nutman

Sorry to hear about that mistake.

As far as I've read and heard, Corsair don't mind sending out replacement cables for free.

13. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Wow buddy again!!! This is some really nice sleeving job! And the position of the ssd rocks too!! I have the same PSU but I aint gonna fully sleeve it this time as it had black cables, I will only modify the wires.
    Mod on buddy, this mod rocks!!!! :)

14. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Ahh hope thats true :), sleeving, it kinda puts me into a trance like state especially when sleepy :hehe:.

:) Thanks Alex :thumb:, yeah the wires on the ATX cable are a bit crazy :lol: not a good psu for a first sleeving attempt :hehe: or maybe it is, if I can do this then others should be easy :D.

I'll post the progress I made anyhoo but won't include pics of the muckup, not much point :D:duh:.

OK Partial update lol

This shows why I went & had a go at making the sleeved ATX extender become the main ATX cable, it was silly long lol :D.
    [​IMG]

Tested out crimping onto 2 wires & to be honest it went fine.
    [​IMG]

And was also able to plug it with sleeving in the socket.
    [​IMG]

Snipped all the ends off the extender end I didn't need.
    [​IMG]

Started on making the 4 dual wires, I used wire strippers near the end of the wire to create an opening where I could join a 2nd wire.
    [​IMG]

2nd Wire tristed around nice & tight & knotted.
    [​IMG]

Cut the pre sized heatshrinks in half & applied over the wire.
    [​IMG]

Covered it completely.
    [​IMG]

And here with sleeving & heatshrink on & crimped ready for installing to the corsair cable & to merge the custom cable to the thoroughly awkward corsair dual socket.
    [​IMG]

Then the rest well....

I need a new replacement corsair AX850 ATX cable as I took the wires out of the wrong end & yes I didn't just take 1 out, I took 12 out without realising I was focusing on the wrong end so I don't know where the heck to put the new wires so I emailed corsair explaining my situation & hopefully they'll help me out on this & soon, I don't expect it for free but I just hope they can help.

15. djzic

djzic Bokehlicious!

You used my technique! yay! :lol:
    About the cable, I hope you don't get the same unacceptable service I did, I had to wait 3 months for a replacement ATX cable :wallbash:

16. k.3nny

k.3nny Minimodder

Niice to see some progress waynio :D!

17. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Made the most sense :D:thumb:.
    But 3 Months :( wow I hope it won't be that long, ideally a week, my last psu enermax galaxy busted & I contacted them & within 2 days they had a replacement sent out to me for a switcharoo, but 3 months :jawdrop:.

Thanks k.3nny, hit a speed bump on the sleeving but I'll carry on with the rest & the back order from kustompc came through today :).

18. PabloFunky

PabloFunky What's a Dremel?

I would of soldered the wires and used hellerman sleeves, to be honest.

But hey whatever works for you.

19. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Nice job, good luck with Corsair.
    From them I buy my memory, PSU's and memory sticks- buy my extensions for sleeving come from Bitfenix!

20. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

I did consider soldering the bare wire but either way it'd take a big tug to pull them apart, I've extended fans & cables like this for a long time & had no problem :), but for a main power cable I kinda agree & have thought of opening it back up & crimping the bare wire together & snapping off the plug socket bit, that would be just as good as soldering if not better, had to look up what hellerman sleeves are :D.

Cheers KidMod oh I hope they are quick, I remember the experience I had with enermax & they were really swift in getting it sorted out, I've read corsair don't always reply to cable replacement requests & instead just send them out when available (And when that could be who the heck knows with no communication) so yeah I'll hold out on my opinion of corsair for 7 business days, I sent the message to jackflash & ramguy at corsair, if anyone knows a better contact at corsair please let me know so I can keep things rolling :), they offer a phone number but it's in america so I'm unsure if it would cost a lot to phone.

I sent them my name, address, phone number, description of self created problem & what I need & for them to help me out asap, so fingers, arms, legs, toes & eyes crossed :hehe:.

Also, the ax850 had none standard mounting holes or at least I chose to use the none standard ones d'oh :duh::D, so if I have to go with another brand I'll need to mod the psu mounting method but already have a good idea for if I need to go that way, simply cut out the dimension for the psu & make a mounting plate :thumb:.