1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Anyone interested in a workshop build?

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Goatee, 14 May 2020.

1. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

This is a bit of a cross post from here: https://forums.bit-tech.net/index.php?threads/bit-of-consumer-advice.374242/ and I couldn't decide on if general, hardware or project logs was the right home. I have had 5x3m wooden workshop delivered (16ft x10ft if that's your preference). There was some interest in it, so I thought I would log what I'm doing for those interested.

[​IMG]

The shed has arrived and has been installed on an extended concrete base, with a heavy wooden base screwed down onto it. I could have fully kitted it out but only went for the rubber roof.

Its had a breathable membrane fitted at the factory.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I purchased a kit to fit the insulation: It came with 4 10m x 1.5m insulation rolls, 2 rolls of tape, stapler and staples and a craft knife.

To be honest I already had everything but the tape and insulation rolls, so I could have just brought those separately but spare tools is always good. :dremel:

One wall is fully tacked down, the other is just tacked in along the top as I only had 30 mins after they delivered it before work meetings started.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The insulation works best with at least a 20mm air gap either side to help with reflection, I tried to staple the sheet roughly in the middle of the 70mm studs.

When fully insulated, I will likely run sockets and lighting wiring, then fit OSB boards to clad over the insulation and hide the wiring.

Last edited: 14 May 2020
    ifohancroft, Yaka, David and 3 others like this.
  2. MadGinga

MadGinga oooh whats this do?

What advantages does that insulation have over say, solid insulation blocks commonly used on/in rooves; or good ol' fibre glass rolls?

3. GeorgeStorm

GeorgeStorm Aggressive PC Builder

What's your definition of workshop? (wood working, welding, garden tools, mancave/computer stuff?)
    I'll keep an eye on it regardless as looks like it'll be interesting :)

4. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Its only 15 mm thick and is allegedly its equivalent to 50mm thick insulation blocks or 100mm thick rock wool.

Its cheaper than insulation blocks and more insulating (given I dont have a 100mm gap) than the scratchy stuff. :D I also didn't want to suit up in this weather.

Edit: It also got delivered in under 19 hours from time of order placement :D

Little bit of everything. Some electronics, computer building, tool storage, place to escape the family.

Dot_Kappa, MadGinga and GeorgeStorm like this.
  5. Canardwc

Canardwc @French_fab_factorie

Does it smells cana-grass ? :lol:

6. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I host all my pic on Imgur and that's the general consensus. 2 hours this evening, 20m of insulation now in:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Decided to go with conduit rather than hiding the cable behind the boarding, so spent a good half an hour while on a boring conference call ordering all sorts of bits for the cable runs. This means I can change / add in the future if needed.

Insulation should be finished tomorrow. My hands and wrists hurt from all the stapling, its like being a teenager again. :nono:

7. Defyant Mods

Defyant Mods Multimodder

Man this is gorgeous , ive dreamed of having something like this to myself :D i like the idea with the conduit , will keep it looking industrial and workshop like.... while being practical.:rock::rock:

Go with the flexi conduit :grin:

8. yuusou

yuusou Multimodder

That's one sexy meth lab shed.

Nexxo, Vault-Tec and The_Crapman like this.
  9. bawjaws

bawjaws Multimodder

Looking good. :thumb: What are you planning to do to keep it secure? Our shed for broken into a couple of times a while back by scrotes looking for bikes to steal, and although we took some steps to make the shed more secure, there's only so much you can do. Curious to see what you have in mind for this.

10. MADPC

MADPC Minimodder

it's my dream have a place like this, at the end of work you can write the total cost of this build?

11. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

New update (4 day weeks for the win)

The front door uses three large heavy hinges, throw bolt will take a big ass padlock.

[​IMG]

Managed about 1/2 the roof this morning by cutting the insulation sheet down into thirds, then stapling to the rafters. Lots of taping up edges and fannying around meant it took longer than expected.

[​IMG]

This is what the insulation is made of, reflective layer, wadding, two more layers (reflective and a plastic layer) more wadding, then reflective again.

[​IMG]

As the window side of the shed faces south it gets a lot of sun during the day, I noticed the roof was hot while fitting the insulation, so I did a little experiment over lunch time.

This is the temperature without insulation:
    [​IMG]

Layer of insulation and some OSB:
    [​IMG]

Looks like it was worth doing.

12. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

All told, with all the extras, fit out like internal OSB boarding, workbenches and including some electrical work I need a spark to sign off on its around the £5k mark.

Nexxo and MADPC like this.
  13. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

Neat. Will there be wood stain/sealer, or paint?

14. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

I have some 5 year paint, so will be painted once I have the inside done.

15. TempeMod

TempeMod What's a Dremel?

But the really question is: will it have leds? Ahahha anyway cool work, I like what you did to isolate it and to reduce temperature.

16. Goatee

Goatee Multimodder

Its got LED's, they went in last night along with almost all the insulation. One final bit will be insulated when I do the floor.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Today it got 2 coats, a whole 5 litre tin. Got the door off to help painting.
    [​IMG]

17. MADPC

MADPC Minimodder

this is something that i hadn't thought about the temperature and insulation you seem to be very expert in, excellent build ..

18. MADPC

MADPC Minimodder

seems to be expensive but I think it's a good price ..

19. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

This is everything I want my mouldy slanty powerless shed to be :hehe::hehe::waah:

Goatee and Arboreal like this.
  20. ciaognep

ciaognep Minimodder

well done work !!