1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress Biohazard Computer Case Mod-Back Panel-I/O shield 10/18

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by BLUEHORSESTUDIOS, 25 Apr 2010.

1. ThirtyQuidKid

ThirtyQuidKid Minimodder

Wow,

The attention to detail is amazing on this project.............

Lost for words!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

added video

BIOHAZARD COMPUTER CASE MOD PART 9

VIDEO WORKLOGS

Sponsored
    BY

[​IMG]

Enjoy​

3. craigbru

craigbru Cramming big things in small boxes since 2006

Man, I really love the details, and your painting technique is outstanding! Keep it up bro! You've got my MotM vote!

4. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

Thanks Craig, its truly an honor to be in the same compitition with you.

5. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

added video

Biohazard Computer Case Mod Part 9-B

Heres the second part to part 9

Enjoy​

p0Pe likes this.
  6. DeadP1xels

DeadP1xels Social distancing since 92

Worth the wait :)

7. nagyizom

nagyizom Minimodder

Awesome! I envy your talent:thumb:

8. Carl97

Carl97 Sorry, for my bad english.

Very nice work!:jawdrop:
    Szia nagyizom! :)

9. mnpctech

mnpctech bit-tech sponsor

Hey Ron, I've been showing off this build to everyone at my shop. I also made a note to post your latest video updates on the Blog this week, shooting for Thursday :thumb:

10. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

Fantastic Bill,thanks so much for your support.

11. [ZiiP] NaloaC

[ZiiP] NaloaC Multimodder

This really does scream for a game of Necromunda or 35mm Inquisitor or something :D

Fantastic work so far :)

12. p0Pe

p0Pe gief cake?

I absolutely love the wear effect you do with the paint! Some real skills inhere mate!

13. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

added video

[​IMG]

BlueHorseStudios is proudly sponsored
    by

"[​IMG]

http://www.mnpctech.com/casemodstore.html

In this video episode I go into greater detail on how I achieve some of the painting effects in this case.
    The products that Ill be using in the tutorial are:

Tamiya acrylics and thinner
    Flat Black
    German Grey
    Liquid smoke
    Rust
    Buff
    Earth
    Olive green
    Army green
    Caution yellow
    Red
    flat white
    Light Grey
    Size 0 liner brush
    vinyl letters and masking

Lets get Started!!

(1) The First layer I put down is 3 coats of grey primer ,doing a light sanding between each coat.

(2) The second layer is my "Shadow Layer" I spray this color of 3 parts flat BLK and 1 1/2 parts German grey into all the edges and creases.This layer will play a very import coat to a finished effect later on.

(3) The third layer is my first top coat "rust effect" 3 parts rust, 1 part German grey, 1 part Flat BLK. (important) I spray this effect very lightly just in certain areas being careful not to cover the grey primer coat and "shadow layer"

(4) The next layer is our first "texture" layer, I add a touch more black to the rust mixture just to darken the value of the color a bit more. This layer will simulate Rust and corrosion and you"ll notice how our paint effect really begins to come to "life". I spray this randomly in all the rivet holes and along some edges, still being very carefull I dont cover up the grey primer coat or the "shadow Layer"

(5) The next step is to take that same mixture and with a touch more rust added to it, thinned down with plenty of thinner and start adding small streak marks flowing downwards from some of the rivet holes.
    Less is more in this application, I dont want to simulate that effect from every hole, just a few here and there.

(6) In the next step Ill use a liquid smoke thinned down with plenty of thinner and spray along all the edges and anywhere water and oil would gather naturally.
    This layer has a "sheen" to it simulating wet concrete or steel.
    This is where the "shadow layer" plays an important part. All the areas spray in the liquid smoke simulate wet and corroded steel, The "shadow layers" simulates where the wet areas have dried and rusted away. Without this importand layer the rust simulation wouldnt be very realistic and the depth of color wouldnt be very intresting.

(7) As a final step we mix up 2 parts Buff, 1 part earth and 1 part Greman grey and hold the airbrush back from the surface about 12-18 inches and spray this "sun bleach" layer I like to call it. This effect will soften all those other layers we layed down prior and give the pieces a very "dusty ,sun bleached" look.​

There are many other layers that I could add but I want to show how to achieve certain effects in this build that anyone can master.
    With some practice and a good understand of color relations, and composition anyone can achieve these results.

Thanks for following , and supporting my project

Until Next Time

Stay Inspired and Keep Creating!!

A very special thanks to my sponsor

[​IMG]

Last edited: 13 Aug 2010
  14. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

added pics

[​IMG]

BlueHorseStudios is proudly sponsored
    by

[​IMG]

On todays project Im going to get started on painting all my small biohazard barrels and construct a container for them

The materials Ill be using are:
    0.40mm scrape styrene
    hobby mesh
    Tamiya Military Minitures barrels 1/35 scale
    Tamiya paints and thinner
    Airbrush
    Sandpaper
    Size 0 liner brush

Lets get Started!!

[​IMG]

After assembling all my barrels, I use bamboo skewers to hold them in place as I get ready for the first coat of paint.

[​IMG]

I first spray a topcoat of steel as my base then I add a light layer of field blue over the top allowing some of the steel color to shine through.

[​IMG]

In this shot you can see the shimmer finish of the steel.

[​IMG]

Then I add my first shadow layers of rust giving the paint some dimension and intrest.

[​IMG]

Next, I use a size 0 liner brush with a heavy mixture of thinner,a touch of rust and liquid smoke and begin making small streak flowing from the top of the barrels downward.This effect will similuate water and oil streaks.

[​IMG]

With this completed I can move onto some texture layers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now I darken up my mixture to add my first texture layers.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

In these two shots you can see the barrels start to take on life.The addition of the oil stains and rust bring a very realistic weathering effect.​

[​IMG]

With the weathering effect complete, I can begin adding small labels and warning signs to the barrels. I also began constructing the small container to hold them.

[​IMG]

I mark the areas in lead pencil and mask off the areas to be sprayed with my airbrush.

[​IMG]

Here you can see the small hazard and shipping labels.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Heres the small container I built to hold the barrels.

[​IMG]

In this shot you can really tell how small these are.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I finish off the container with the same paint process the I achieve for the front and sides of the case.

[​IMG]

In the shot you can see the finished effect.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now a couple shots with them added to the loading bay.

This entire process took about 9 hours to complete and Im thinking about adding even more barrels with biohazard waste spilling from them.

Im still looking for the proper audio servo to begin construction on the front panel USB and Audio.

Until then,

Stay Inspired and Keep Creating

This project is sponsored by

[​IMG]

15. DeadP1xels

i can't imagine how cool this is going to look sitting on your desk one day this is probebly the ultimate game themed this is the kind of piece you should see mounted in display cabinets in game studios

16. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

Thanks DP, I started on a templete for the left wing wall and fan intakes. I'm also considering a redesign of the roof line.
    I'm still researching my hardware and haven't made any decisions on what I want to drop into this build.

17. DeadP1xels

Second comment my bad im excited to see it all come together i remeber seeing that first video of the top level and wow has this thing grown its going to be the size of a desk by itself in the end!!

excited to see the left wing! still have'nt seen those doors if they work all these small accent lights are working parts are really unique

On Hardware however this is a monster case you should only go with what you need don't feel you need the best of the best now because in the long run you will regret spending so much, Im curious how your going to do the inside and how its all going to come together.

Also excited about that site you and lazyman are setting up remeber to keep me informed when you open that one i want to get in before the rush :)

18. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

Thanks for those questions D.P.
    Actually the dimensions of the peremeter of this build are the same size as a standard atx case, it just looks larger in the vids and photos.The base is approx 3in wider on all sides .
    As for all the lights etc, I have them hooked up to a 12v ac power adapter and there working well.
    The doors are not connect to a power sourse at the moment, but will be soon. They'll operate the same way a optical drive does.
    Imagine a pc laying on it's side.. This is the dimensions of this build with a slightly larger base..
    Thanks for those great questions

19. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

added video

This is the final episode to painting effects video

BIOHAZARD COMPUTER CASE MOD (PAINT EFFECT) pt2

ENJOY!!

20. DeadP1xels

Believe me i will :)

Been sitting here bored for the last hour need something creative to get me inspired