1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Gaming BioShock Gameplay Review

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Tim S, 21 Aug 2007.

1. Phil Rhodes

Phil Rhodes Hypernobber

Mutter. This really is absolutely laughable - a prime example of rules only clobbering people who follow the rules. Anyone who chooses to no-cd the damn thing, or whatever patch it would take, will skirt this entirely.

The only function this sort of thing can ever have, by definition, is to inconvenience the honest.

Phil

2. naokaji

naokaji whatever

from 2k forum:

3. D3s3rt_F0x

D3s3rt_F0x What's a Dremel?

Personally for me the lock on 2 installations on Bioshock wont mater to me I'll install it play it finish it, never touch it again uninstall it at some point then itll sit in a box somewhere never to be seen again. But I can see why it can cause issues and tbh aint exactly a great system penalising people although cant see it affecting alot of people who'll play the game casually once and never touch it.

But looking forward to the game alot just got my collecters edition put on hold for pick up tomorrow have to find somewhere for my big daddy near my little counter-strike figures.

4. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

I'm personally going to wait and see with the game. I play games to death over a number of years and so this will really mess me up. I've uninstalled and reinstalled games like Deus Ex, which is very similar to BioShock more than 20 times over the years. I'm going to give it two weeks to calm down and a patch to come out, then I'll either buy a 360 (which I need to do anyway) or grab it on Steam and just keep it installed.

It's a pain in the arse and a major, MAJOR falling point for the game - but its also needed. Bindi and I looked at one torrent online yesterday before this all hit the news and there were more than 13,900 people downloading the full game from a single site. Times that by £25-£40 quid and thats how much money the game lost out on in the first day, from one single torrent alone. This stuff needs to be stopped.

I've no problem with people downloading a game like Madden, which is essentially the same as every other game in the series and is deriative and crap - but I do have a problem when it effects a beautiful, deep and hugely polished game like BioShock. This is the type of game which doesn't come along very often and therefore needs to be massively encouraged for it to thrive and be repeated. Exploiting it this way is unacceptable in my eyes.

5. Hamish

Hamish What's a Dremel?

simultaneous worldwide release and no ridiculous copy protection and you can gurantee they'd have had a hell of a lot more sales
    newslash: ****ing over your customers doesnt give them much incentive to pay you

theres a near 40 page thread on the 2k forums now about this and near every other post is someone saying they've cancelled their pre-order/intention to buy/returned the game because of this nonsense

at this point i think i'd pirate it even if i didnt have a machine that could run it just on principle

6. Jamie

Jamie ex-Bit-Tech code junkie

Don't worry, Tim is making up for the loss in sales all by himself. I could have stolen the review sample but I've also bought it ;)

7. CardJoe

CardJoe Freelance Journalist

As have Bindi, Ed and Andy and Hugo.

:D

8. cjmUK

cjmUK Old git.

Yeah, I'm not happy about it either. But I've bought it nevertheless. And like Joe, I'm hoping that they will patch it before long so that it's a bit more reasonable.

Unfortunately, I borked my mobo this week, so I'm going to be without it for a few weeks while it gets RMA'd. I thought about buying a cheapo replacement to cover the gap, but I realised it's a false economy - with some much software tied into the mobo, I can't face the aggro of getting every package re-authenticated and again when my replacement mobo comes back.

I might install it on my older PC but I'll live in fear as to whether it will let me install it on my main system when it's back up and running.

Last edited: 23 Aug 2007
  9. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Well i got the game delivered this morning and installed it, but the authentication servers are down so i can't actually play it yet:(

10. LeMaltor

LeMaltor >^_^

11. Silver Shamrock

Silver Shamrock What's a Dremel?

Yep, stuck at autopatching. The worst thing is that if you cancel the activation it dumps the entire install. This time i have left it open, and just keep clicking the auto-patcher key in the hope it will connect.

12. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

Great review, however I for one won't be purchasing this game until the ridiculous activation rubbish is removed (which seemingly could be never, what a pity). Looking forward to part 2 :).

13. impar

impar Minimodder

14. Speedo

Speedo What's a Dremel?

That's great news, pity they don't go the whole hog and remove the copy protection altogether..

15. impar

impar Minimodder

16. DougEdey

DougEdey I pwn all your storage

Back to the game.

On a scale of 1 to 10 this rates 11.

Joe, I'm ashamed you didn't rate it high enough.

17. K

K 528491

WANT ME BIOSHOCK. NEED PC OR XBOX. PLEASE TO HAVE BIT-TECH SPARES. MANY THANKS!

*cry*

18. naokaji

naokaji whatever

QFT

after having played it (partially) it looks to me like a well done game....
    graphics are great, the atmosphere is simply amazing, the cutscenes are great too, the story is well done and dont even get me started about the sound...

all install limit crap aside...

the actual game is the best action game ever in my opinion....

some people might be a bit disapointed by the focus on action though... but thats down to personal preference.

19. Amon

Amon inch-perfect

I found out the hard way that the game will not run without shader model 3.0. :miffed:

**rubs 9600 SE**:blush:

Don't worry baby, I'm not gonna let you go...:sigh:

Last edited: 24 Aug 2007
  20. specofdust

specofdust Banned

Tbh, I havn't played it but I disagree with the 10/10 score. I've never been a fan of out of 10 scores, rather I think percentages allow much more leeway. A 10/10 score says "This game is as good as it gets, nothing can be better". Unless you're re-evaluating every previous review done with each new review, then that system doesn't work.

IMO the highest a game should ever get is 99%, as nothing is truly perfect. Despite how hysterical we might get over it at the time.

Tags: Add Tags