1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Bioshock Infinite

Discussion in 'Gaming' started by Kiytan, 12 Aug 2010.

1. Sleepstreamer

Sleepstreamer I modded christmas!

Enough with this Bioshock malarkey, I want another System Shock. Now.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2010
  2. Cobalt

Cobalt What's a Dremel?

Apparently it still feels surprisingly claustrophobic and creepy, according to Gamespot.

I'm fine with them using the Bioshock moniker for this new game. It's still about bio-modification as the major gameplay hook, much like System Shock was about cybernetic enhancements. It's still got big daddy type things running around. I guess they are using a particular set of underlying themes to explore different worlds and stories. Not a bad idea if your basic mechanics are solid and well liked.

3. sear

sear What's a Dremel?

Feels like a really really standard, boring, predictable inversion of the original game's setting. I mean, BioShock 2 was lazy, with its whole "hmm... Little Sister... I know, what about Big Sister!" approach to the game's design, and going from "underwater" to "in the sky" just seems like a cop-out to me. Frankly, BioShock's gameplay is already so close to the original Doom that I don't think a new setting is going to be enough to make it interesting. I'm hoping for some major gameplay improvements, and maybe this time Irrational will make efforts to incorporate more of the advanced AI the first BioShock was supposed to be built upon.

4. Bauul

Bauul Sir Bongaminge

What, the player moves at 50Mph and each level is populated with many hundreds of low intelligence enemies?

I think you'll find apart from being an FPS and having a relatively non-linear level design, Bioshock was nothing like Doom.

5. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Aye doom was a damned site better

Zurechial likes this.
  6. sotu1

sotu1 Ex-Modder

I still havent played BioShock 2, but don't see why this should get mixed reactions. unless I'm mistaken I thought the series was a bit of a winner.

7. maximus09

maximus09 Forever n00b

I agree, the shouldn't have called it Bioshock, could still attach it to the first games but without the name.

8. reflux

reflux What's a Dremel?

Another sequel for a game that never needed a sequel in the first place. Whoop.

9. erratum1

erratum1 What's a Dremel?

So much pessimism in this thread, jeez give a game a god damn chance.

looks good, quite trippy. I loved bioshock when it first came out hope this can be just as big.

Last edited: 13 Aug 2010
  10. GravitySmacked

GravitySmacked Mostly Harmless

Hmmmm well I'm going to reserve judgement until a lot more details come out. I enjoyed Bioshock and the sequel so it could be good.

11. TWeaK

TWeaK Minimodder

Saw the trailer last night on RPS and thought it looked quite interesting. I didn't bother with Bioshock 2 but enjoyed the first one, at least once I got over it being over-hyped. I think they might have some good ideas up their sleeve story-wise so it might be worth keeping an eye on.

Also, apparently the original name was Bioshock: Icarus, so at least they're improving the name... and it's got the same core gameplay, so why shouldn't it be called Bioshock?

12. docodine

docodine killed a guy once

Looks fine to me, though honestly the series would do better if it was an RPG or something.. Bioshock to me was more of an art project with a game tacked on. It looked (and still looks) really pretty.

13. nemo

nemo Foregone Destruction

Frankly, I'm bored to death with World-War2 and special-forces style shooters. So if Irrational want to attempt a 1912 theme FPS on board a balloon city, good luck to them. I hope it works out.

Plus, I loved the music background to Bioshock 1 & 2 - imagine what they'll do with another era. Caruso must be on the shortlist

14. DBA

DBA I do my modding with a spoon

In short, wasn't for the setting under water in a 1950 art deco city with good music and a hell of a good story the Bioshock would have been ****, but it had and i loved it. Bioshock 2 was okay but felt kind of old, since it didn't really bring anything new other than a bad story.

Now though, the new game lags what saved Bisoshock 2 (the setting) but if they manage deliver a very good story, a very good setting (which so far looks promising) and and improvement to the, quite frankly horrible, combat system, then this could be a good game, Bioshock or not.

Bonzo45 likes this.
  15. Bonzo45

Bonzo45 Ex CPC

+1

Totally agree, just watched the trailer (w/o sound BTW) and it looks promising. Bioshock was good, Bioshock 2 was alright, a few nice features added, multi-player was dismal but that's not what I bought it for. Infinite looks promising from the trailer, but the name doesn't really fit IMHO.

16. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

wow, a lot of naysayers here.

I thought the trailer was great *(1080p Cheesecake) and I also enjoyed the era and settings of the bioshock series. To me, this just looks like a natural extension of the series and I'll be definitely interested in seeing how they can change it up.

17. wiggles

wiggles Minimodder

18. boiled_elephant

boiled_elephant Merom Celeron 4 lyfe

You can get Transformers 2 in 1080p, that doesn't make it great :p

(I'm jes kiddin'.)

19. logan'srun

logan'srun following the footsteps of giants

lol! You have no idea how many times I've been forced to watch Trans 2 because of my son, he loves that film.

Ouch. Point taken.

20. robots

robots What's a Dremel?

I loved this trailer, really great. I thought both Bioshock games were crap though, and I expect this will be too. Instead of completing the second one, I played through both System Shock games and reminded myself of why they are 10 times better than Bioshock.

I think you'll find it was! *pulls tongues*