1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Cygnus X1.

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 18 Sep 2008.

1. tominated

tominated What's a Dremel?

all those curves and smaller angles look out of place next to those sharp angles in the original case. i don't mind it, but i don't think it matches

2. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

that looks amazing !
    the fan grill looks really great, but how are you going to access the usb, power switch... ?
    maybe you should make the grill go all the way up to the top ?

and [​IMG] from me btw :D

3. TotalEntropy

TotalEntropy Coming soon...

My only suggestion is to please stay with the Alu... Plexy would cheapen the look of your beautiful mod. Real glass wouldn't be too terrible though.

4. Anti-Hero

Anti-Hero What's a Dremel?

I subscribed to this site mostly for this project.

I love what you did in the first part of your mod, with the straight lines and angles (looks kind of deconstructivistic).
    Also the material is not hidden, that's a great addition to the build.
    What you did so far looks stunning, and your craftsmanship is excellent.

My thoughts about the second stage of your mod, the outside shell, are a bit different though.
    If I were you I would definitely stay with the forms you already used, to be consistent throughout your entire mod... (Straight lines, no bends, straight angles)
    And stick with alu, it's beatiful!
    No offense though, you did an excellent job!

5. Dark~3nergy

Dark~3nergy what was dat sandvich ?

he could use both, if he had the a piece of plexi with some white leds under a piece of alu like this :

[​IMG]

ohh that just gave me a crazy idea for a case design :)

6. Diosjenin

Diosjenin Thinker, Tweaker, Et Cetera

Apparently unlike some of the other commenters, I happen to think that the 'gentle curves' you both describe and show would make a very nice, very subtle contrast with the inner shell. You're already making an entirely separate outer shell - really, why would you make it exactly the same style as the inner one?

In fact, while I enjoy the idea of the grill you've currently test-set up on the bottom front, it would mesh better with the 'gentle curves' idea if those gently curved as well, as opposed to the corners it currently displays. Maybe you could make the 'curve' go all the way around the sides and front - [somewhat] parabolic from the top down?

- Diosjenin -

7. tominated

8. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Make it like the grill on a Cord FWD from 1936

[​IMG]

john

9. wgy

wgy What's a Dremel?

i'm with john on this one.

i love that car, even the creamy white paint job could fit with your current anodized look?

really nice mod, so perfectly executed.

10. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

The shell base looks good. I like the gentle curves on the sides, and my only suggestion for improvement on that grill would be to make the sharp angle less of an angle and more curved. I like the car grill front, and that car that Jhanlon303 showed was beautiful.
    It's a matter of personal preference perhaps, but I don't like cases that are all straight edges and angles. I'm a big fan of curves, and think it would go well with the interior case.

As to materials, I don't think that plexi cheapens a case, but I'd probably want at least most of the front grill to be metal. (maybe a sandwich of plexi around the metal grill layers, so it's a little thicker, and lends itself to lighting effects, if wanted.)

11. jodah175

jodah175 Wannabe Modder

this thing just keeps getting better and better. :rock:

and yeah, thank you for building such a wonderful looking case so far....

my g/fs waiting for me to build one similar for her.:wallbash::wallbash:

12. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks D3., There are several ways to do this, the grille can be split in half and attached
    to the side panels, or, it can be attached to only one panel, or it can be attached to the
    chassis with a hinge so it can be flipped up or down when you want to access the switches
    or ports. I think it will be part of the chassis together with the whole venting arrangement
    in front of the fans.

Glass would be very difficult to use and also very heavy, not to mention it may keep
    breaking when I try to bend it. :hehe:
    I think that if I used clear plex with all the internal frame being alu it could look quite
    good if care is taken to make the frame good looking and to a high standard.

Thanks, yeah there is definitely going to be a lot of alu in the shell, but the skin is still up
    in the air. When I first thought about this case at the start of the year I imagined a hand
    beaten alu shell with solid rivets joining separate sections like aircraft wings, somewhere
    that idea bit the dust. But it may still come to life.

Thanks, I'm open to ideas and the grille going around the sides is a good one.

That is indeed a beautiful automobile and the grille treatment is great.

Thanks, with my current way of thinking there won't be any paint involved, but one of
    the ideas for the shell used a fibreglass molded side panel that would have been painted.

Yes the grille is only a first attempt, it will no doubt look different when I settle on something.

Thanks, I'm glad you are enjoying it.

I had a spare hour and a half today so there was an idea rolling around in my head that
    needed to be trialed just to see how it would look. Now after making the first few pieces
    I could see that it was going to be crap, but somehow I thought it would get better if I
    kept going. It didn't, in fact it's quite surprising how different the reality is from the picture
    I had in my mind, even if you imagine the parts made from alu or clear plex.
    In consideration of those with weak stomachs I have only included links to pics. I just
    want to let you know that I didn't have to show these pics, so easy on the abuse.
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/oldnewby/Cygnus X1 shell part1/001-1.jpg
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/oldnewby/Cygnus X1 shell part1/002-1.jpg
    http://i201.photobucket.com/albums/aa59/oldnewby/Cygnus X1 shell part1/004-1.jpg

13. ModMinded

ModMinded Are you throwing that away?

:lol: re the bolded part. No abuse, but yeah, it doesn't look right. Maybe with fewer ribs like 2 on each side and one to cover the seam of the 2 halves joining. I like the continuous line from grill to back, though. and curved... I gotta bump the curves. I lurve curves :hehe:... but again, your mod, you'll decide what's best. :)

I like the aircraft wing look too, that would go great. Maybe something like those old airstream trailers?

14. The boy 4rm oz

The boy 4rm oz Project: Elegant-Li

The mock-ups are looking really good.

15. fflow

fflow What's a Dremel?

no abuse intended ;) Like the idea of the cover with the lines going up and then to the back but it seems to bulky and takes away the view of the nice inner case.

16. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

I was surprised when you started adding MDF, wasn't expecting that. You probably have said it before, but I'm not reading every bit ;) IMO one plexi cover for the left, top and right side would do the trick, that way you can show the incredible work done on the inside. But just stick with your plans, I know you gave it way more thought than I did ;)

17. tominated

same for me. i like it, but it doesn't really complement the inner case

18. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks b4oz.

Don't worry, as I said that idea bit the dust just after it was started.

There won't be any MDF, just trying out ideas.

The way I'm leaning at the moment about 80 percent of the case will be visible when it's
    all closed up.

19. jhanlon303

jhanlon303 The Keeper of History

Thank you for that estimate. The inside is spot on and I wouldn't want you to hide much.

john

20. Oreon_237

Oreon_237 CHEA BRO!

not really a fan of the grills on the front, unless they go all the way up. i was thinking of a similar exterior design, with the grills on the case with a strip of aluminium down the middle. the side. looking great though, epic build

and like jhanlon^ said i wouldn't want you to hide the interior much either. its ****ing beautifully EPIC!

Last edited: 12 Dec 2008