1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – In Progress GET A LIFE - COMPLETED

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by The_Gnu, 17 Nov 2010.

1. murtoz

murtoz Busy procrastinating

This.
    As much as I don't want the amazingness to stop, I want to see the final glory shots just as badly. Updates plz?

2. Angel OD

Angel OD Pump Killer

I bet you that like every other swedish person, he's still hung over from new years... :lol:

3. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

I was hoping for this response.. thanks

Thanks mate:thumb:

Im honored, there will be more pics soon. I have been taking some time of during the holidays but will soon be back on track.

Thanks, you got some pretty fine cabling going on yourself:thumb:

I really apreciate that you took your time too read the whole log from the start, and timed it aswell :) I also like your reaction to it but I just have to say that......I like cliff hangers:naughty:

But I feel kind this year, so I won't hold on to the updates for that much longer....maybe:naughty:
    Seriously, many thanks:thumb:

Thanks you very much MeddlE for your support.
    I was hoping to make it to MOTY, but I thought that finishing it a few days before would be enough. But apparently the cuttof was some weeks before so I wouldnt have made it anyhow.
    But that means I've got some more time to fintune the last pieces and maybe pull out a trick our two out of my sleeve.

Thanks, you'll get to see the final shots soon. I promise. I've got some of them right here next to me, don't worry. But I'll add a few more things, and since I want to try to keep a line in this log, those final pics will wait untill I have showed the other parts that are left.

Yep, your spot on. Ill post the next update as soon as I can get out of this bed, shouldn't be that many days left now:cooldude:

4. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

No words left man. The engineering and the design is ..... unbelievably excellent!!!! :)

yassarikhan786 likes this.
  5. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks mate, greate words from a greate modder:thumb:

Okay, it's time to get back to business.
    I've been taking a few weeks of from the project during the hollidays, but now Im starting to get back to normal and it's time to wrap it all up.

Since the case is so cramped as it is already, I didn't have room to stuff full length sata cabels in there. So It's time to make some custom ones. Also, those standard 90° angled connectors are turned the wrong way around from what I need, so that had to be sorted out aswell.

I have seen some DIY sata shortening tutorials on the net before. They used a removable connector that they reatached in the end. I couldn't find any of those around so I decided to give the normal cast connector a try.

Donor Cable
    [​IMG]

I bent the connector pins, cut the cable to the desired length and resoldered the wires. Have to make shure not to shorten any of the wires before aplying the hotglue.
    [​IMG]

There was no way I could reuse the original connector housing so I had to make my own using my trusty old black coloured hot glue.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Only one SSD drive, would make the inside of the case look unsymmetrical (not that it will be vissible anyway). And 60GB of storage is a bit small so I went for a stroll and got myself another similar one. Luckely, I already had a matching HD mount.:naughty:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Don't worry, that white halfcircular sticker will be removed once I've made shure it works.
    [​IMG]

6. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

Excellent!

7. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Pure niceness :).

8. quizz_kid

quizz_kid Squid

Mmm... Very very clean. Come on now. PUT IT TOGHETER!! :lol::lol::lol:

9. weatherdown

weatherdown What's this button fo......

Looking good! Thnx for the update :)

10. bugeye

bugeye Sleep Deprived

'Awesome' comment and says it all , wish I'd thought of it . Plus 1 :)

11. yassarikhan786

yassarikhan786 Ultramodder(Not)

Really brilliant :D.

12. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

Really impressed with the sata cable.. I've got to make mine yet.. a whole inch long!
    Its nice to see something to go by!!

:)

13. peteski

peteski long live the pc

an inspiration as allaways mate. keep up the good work i feel it wont be long now :rock: :rock: :rock:

14. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks

Thanks, and yes, pure niceness from you :thumb:

Thanks quizz, easy easy now, im not as fast as you with a new build every second month :):thumb:

Hehe thanks for the reply:thumb:

I totally agree on that:thumb:
    Thank you
    Thanks.. looking forward to see yours aswell :)

And nice comments as always peteski:thumb:, and as you said, it wont be long now:naughty:

15. Cheapskate

Cheapskate Insane? or just stupid?

:lol: and here I am wondering if I can make a sata cable longer. Nicely done.:clap:

16. KidMod-Southpaw

KidMod-Southpaw Super Spamming Saiyan

Awesome- well done indeed!

17. DJ101010

DJ101010 What's a Dremel?

Can't believe I just now saw this log! AMAZINGLY AWESOMELY FANTASTICULOUS!!!
    :jawdrop::jawdrop::jawdrop:

18. craig - toyoracer

craig - toyoracer Minimodder

Very nicely done, :thumb: those molded ones are a pain to work with. The removable housing type are so much easier to work with. :)

19. The_Gnu

The_Gnu 8-bit addict

Thanks mate, Im shure you can do that by simply cutting two cables and joining them on in the middle. And try to keep and reaply the shielding aswell.

Im glad you found and liked it, just in time for the final aswell :)

Thanks, yeah I guess so too, but never tried the removable ones. But since the small connector pins are really fragile, they are easily damaged when cutting away the molded housing.

20. Mojo

Mojo Multimodder

The Gnu - do you do paid work?
    i've been trying to do the same sata cable for a week now... and i dont seem to be having much luck!