1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

News Haswell heat surprises system builders

Discussion in 'Article Discussion' started by Gareth Halfacree, 6 Jun 2013.

1. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

Standard run of the mill retail chip first batch of official sale worthy stock in the UK :)

2. jinq-sea

jinq-sea 'write that down in your copy book' Super Moderator

That's not a bad result at all - it's a big clock speed jump. Although 80deg is a touch too high for me - I like to max at 65deg.

3. maverik-sg1

maverik-sg1 Minimodder

+1 to showing us your settings and set-up

4. N17 dizzi

N17 dizzi Multimodder

Can you provide a screengrab of smallfft running for an extended period with core temp and cpu z being displayed?

5. rollo

rollo Modder

Why would I work for Scan or Ocuk they are like 250miles away from me both of them.

6. Stanley Tweedle

Stanley Tweedle NO VR NO PLAY

Maybe it's worth the commute. OCUK Owned by a German company now int they :)

7. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

I think we need to understand that the larger graphics chip is also responsible for heat. That said, for those who say this is underwhelming, remember that 65nm and 45nm were not exactly quantum leaps. Neither were the first 32nm chips.

In fact given that this is a tock. We'll see.

8. Guinevere

Guinevere Mega Mom

But don't they run cooler when not pushed to the max and not over-clocked? They certainly use less power and therefore should be generating less heat.

I thought the whole purpose of this chipset was to lower the power requirement rather than to boot overclocking potential?

9. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

I'm not sure but i think the "normal" temperature is about the same as SB, and i think much of this is to do with the way Haswell is designed what with the upgrade in the IGPU and moving the VRM's on to the chip.

It seems more components are incorporate with each new design, Memory controllers, integrated GPUs, northbridges, and southbridges have all moved from the MoBo to on chip :sigh:

The reasons for moving components into the CPU are always sold to everyone as being a good thing, and i dont doubt that they are.
    But you have to question what impact this has had on temperatures within the core, and how much faster current CPU's would have been without all that extra heat :confused:

10. Goty

Goty Minimodder

When the heat transfer isn't great, sustained temperatures will be a bit higher. Also, Haswell suffers from the same problem as IVB: it doesn't consume a lot of power but it's a small die, meaning it will be hotter per unit energy consumed.

11. Stanley Tweedle

12. Stanley Tweedle

13. MrJay

MrJay You are always where you want to be

Why not get in bed with TIM manufacturers and actually put some decent thermal paste between the IHS and silicon. I don't understand why they would expose themselves to so much bad press for the sake of a few pence per unit. Even if they put the extra effor in with their K range so people can actually overlock the things.

I'm sticking with my IB i5 3330, nothing to see here...move along.

14. Corky42

Corky42 Where's walle?

There is nothing wrong with the quality of the TIM used, the application of the TIM leaves a lot to be desired and could be improved.

It has nothing to do with cost and everything to do with moving components from the MoBo to inside the chip, along with the smaller contact area available.

15. Gradius

Gradius IT Consultant

Not again!

16. Si_the-dude

Si_the-dude Techaholics Anonymous. 0 days clean

+1 !! Mine will NOT boot at 4.6 regardless of the vcore. It was even crashing in the bios when trying to dial it down. It's taking 1.35 to get it running at what seems to be a stable 4.5ghz. Getting temps of about 71 after a couple of hours of Crysis 3 with a Corsair h110. It's been a lot more hassle to OC than my 3770k was for sure!

17. themassau

themassau What's a Dremel?

wouldn't intel have more efficient chips if they just used solder. there chips would be up to 20c° cooler (you cant set it in %). but a lower temperature will increase the efficiency and it could get better turbo clocks.
    this would enable longer low power sleep, lower power consumption at the same clock and maybe lower voltage all because of the lower temperature.

18. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

I'm a serial upgrader, every time Intel released a new chip set I have previously upgraded, this is the first time I will not due to the heat and negligible performance increase, i have cancelled my order and stick with my 3770k

19. andrew8200m

andrew8200m Multimodder

There is no point in disclosing settings as these settings are unique to my CPU and my RAM and my Board.

Settings vary from CPU to CPU and they vary board to board so if I provided my settings they will most likely not work with your kit.

20. captain caveman

captain caveman life is pain

thats a cop out and you know it