1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

so my living room project kinda ground to a half as I ended up spending more money then planned to do a tidier job of the heating system as it was installed after the house was built. but I'm now at a point where the ceiling can finally be built, I'm going for an outer drop ceiling with spots and an LED strip lighting the inner, I want to go ZIGBEE for wireless shenanigans but I'm not sure on which controller i can use that can handle that much LED strip lighting, I know a few people have done it but does anyone have any advice on a suitable controller that will work with HUE?

2. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Samotech have a few that work with Hue

https://www.samotech.co.uk/products/zigbee-led-controller-6-24v/ can handle 144w of lighting

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

I think that's exactly what I've been looking for, is the standard still 5050 led strips?

4. saspro

saspro IT monkey

Pretty sure it is.

5. maple

maple Minimodder

What soundbar/sub combo do you guys recommend? For a bit of everything, music/movies/gaming and at different price points? I reckon the Creative Stage V2 is the budget champion coming in at under £100 however for higher budgets what is the general consensus? Is the Creative Sxfi Carrier any decent?

6. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

I picked up the Stage v2 at Christmas but admittedly have yet to hook it up. I am purging the house today though, so if I get it up and running later I'll let you know...

7. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

i'm going to pull the trigger on this but i was planning on hiding it in the ceiling, I see it runs off a 5-24v ac adaptor, cant fit a plug in the ceiling so do does anyone know of one that will run off the house electrics?

8. saspro

saspro IT monkey

https://amzn.eu/d/3vjcc0T should be able to drive that

Arboreal likes this.
  9. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I was having a look yesterday and couldn’t see anything mains-powered that also supports Zigbee, they all seem to have DC power inputs.

10. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

Perhaps much ado about nothing, but I'm always very cautious when power supplies and such are hidden in ceilings/walls - and tend to steer well clear of Amazon/Ebay.
    1) Assuming it will be a faff to replace, reliability is important.
    2) Assuming you don't want to die in a blazing inferno, safety is also important.

Established PSU manufacturers like Meanwell might cost you 3x as much from established electronics vendors, but due to the 2 points above IMO worth it.

Arboreal, Byron C and IanW like this.
  11. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

no i get that, i'll have a look for something that will work

*edit* christ in brother i have no idea what to order...

12. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

ok, I need a bit of quick advice, it turns out the LED strip i was planning on getting annoyingly came in 2x 7.5m lengths, I need to try find a decent 15m 5050 strip that isn't made from Amazons finest Chinesium. where would be the best place to look?

13. Mister_Tad

I would recommend splitting that length in two anyway, and probably feed to both ends as well.

You will have quite a bit of brightness drop over the length of the strip otherwise.

14. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

could you do that from one controller?

15. Mister_Tad

As long as it has the juice for the overall length it’s fine, just more cables

Gunsmith likes this.
  16. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

Been a busy assed week, the drop ceiling has been built and boarded with soundbloc plasterboard. The lighting has mostly been installed but the LED strip for the dropframe ended up being **** as the strip that arrived was a god awful 30L/m, winging that back tomorrow and have got 2x 10m reels of 24v 120L/m 3535 coming on Friday, I'm not good at electrical math but it *should* work with the transformer and zigbee that's been recommended here.

the c165's fit in the ceiling brilliantly and the Hue lighting is awesome! Tomorrows plan is to dab and board the rear wall with more soundbloc and start plastering the wall the TV is going on as the lighting revealed how bad it was so its going to have to be redone.

[​IMG]

IanW, Yaka and Byron C like this.
  17. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Out of interest and with all politeness, can I ask what the budget is for this room? Thinking of doing our lounge over but I have absolutely no idea what this might run me in terms of numbers...

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

including the screen/speakers as well or just material/lighting?

19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

No, screen is obviously down to choice (tossing up the Sony mini LED vs an OLED, put off by the fact our current LG OLED has burn marks from what appears to be subtitles) but maybe speakers as optional?

We do have 5.1 so not sure I'd replace it for the sake of it. More interested in what it would take to make a decent film room of the lounge.

20. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

tbh theres been so much done as id had to have some wall rebuilt behind the rad and some piping re routed so i cant give an exact figure but with speakers as well you're looking at around 6 and a half grand, toss another 3 on for the TV.