1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Hi-fi and AV junkies anonymous

Discussion in 'General' started by Mister_Tad, 16 Jun 2020.

1. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

either im looking at the wrong hue or we've got very different opinions on "priced well" £95 for 2 bulbs, light strip for a mere 65" tv, £190?!

**** that noise.

2. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

If your comparison is Lutron for example it’s extremely well priced, if your comparison is whatever comes up cheapest on Amazon for “smart bulb” less so.

You will struggle to find much that offers the level of 3rd party integration of Hue for much less. If all you want is an app to adjust lights from there are absolutely cheaper options, Shelly for example. But if you want something that will integrate with home AV, switching on “cinema mode” as you say, most of these options will leave you with a science project on your hands.

Of course if a science project is what you want, then Shelly has you sorted.

3. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

tbh the hub arent too bad in terms of pricing but damn the bulbs are pricey, perhaps my mistant was looking at philips website directly, im sure cheaper options are available

4. Mister_Tad

Mister_Tad Will work for nuts Super Moderator

There are definitely discounts to be had on Amazon et al. The ambiance bulbs are half the price of the RGB ones as well, and a more practical all rounder unless you simply must have RGB. Don’t get me wrong it never gets down to the same level as the cheapest options, but IME the hidden cost of many of them is your time.

Hue isn’t perfect, but it also just works, has a phone UI that doesn’t make you rage, has a decent variety of lighting and accessories to cater for most needs and will integrate with basically anything to accommodate any future plans you have yet to make.

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Yeah, in the context of consumer smart lighting, Hue is definitely at the pricier end of things. But by the standard of home cinema/AV kit, it’s probably very reasonable. I just looked up Lutron, and it very much looks like the “if you have to ask then you can’t afford it” end of the market.

I am learning to appreciate the value of this more and more.

Often I know I can DIY something for far cheaper than an off the shelf solution, but I also know that I’m going to spend a lot of time building, setting up, configuring, updating, maintaining, etc.

Except PCs though :grin:. I don’t think I could stand the shame of buying a pre-built machine* for day to day use! :lol:

*Unless it’s second hand, refurb, ex-corporate, etc - that’s different, that’s recycling old kit instead of creating e-waste…

Mister_Tad and Arboreal like this.
  6. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

been looking at options and tbh i think the hue might be the best option going especially as i'll just be going for normal dimmable lights, now all I have to do is find a 15m ZIGBEE led strip that plays with the hue controller

7. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I'm using this for my shelf lighting:

[​IMG]

Shows up in the Hue app just the same as any other bulb:

[​IMG]

That particular kit obviously isn't long enough - the strip is one-third the length that you're looking for, and I'm not sure if the controller has enough guts to supply a strip three times the length of the one it ships with. It supplies a maximum of 5A but I honestly couldn't tell you if that's enough.

But I guess the point is that the listing doesn't specifically state that it's compatible with Hue, yet it works just fine.

8. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Seems the most appropriate thread.

Youngest dropped his pad which has a 3.5mm jack from pad to headset and bent one of the jacks.

No worries, at least it wasn’t the pad or the headset. Went on eBay bought a cheap 3.5 to 3.5 and thought that would be it. However the replacement does fit, but doesn’t stay firmly plugged into headset.

Checking the old cable, it has four rings around the jack and the replacement only has two. Is there a name for what I need/searching for?

Picture is of the old bent one from headset.

Thanks.

[​IMG]

9. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Something like "four pole adapter". But looking at yours it might be five pole?

I'm no expert but as I understand it the black rings separate the different channels - left, right, mic but I'm guessing the fourth is ground (??) and no idea what the fifth is for.

Sorry not more help but that could give you a starting point?

DeanSUNIAIU likes this.
  10. DeanSUNIAIU

DeanSUNIAIU Modder

Right first time. Ordered a new one, thanks.

11. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Well that's a funky cable...

"Normal" stereo 3.5mm and 2.5mm jacks are also called TRS, "tip, ring, sleeve" - left, right, and ground signals, in that order. It's pretty common to see TRRS these days - the additional "ring" being the microphone (yes pedants, I'm aware that there are CTIA and OMTP variations, but I'm trying to keep things simple :grin: ).

But I gotta say I've never seen a 3.5mm cable with five connectors... Out of interest, what brand is the headset?

12. VictorianBloke

VictorianBloke Man in a box

Last edited: 5 Jan 2024
  13. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Have a look again mate - the top connector (the undamaged one) has five connectors, so would seem to be TRRRS :thumb:. I had to count the connectors three or four times when I first saw the image, because I've never seen a TRRRS! :grin:

14. VictorianBloke

I'm gonna blame autocorrect.

Either that or my head said 3rs, but my thumb only managed two. :duh:

Edit: at first I thought it was a single cable going from 4 to 5, and wondered what the hell that was used for.

Byron C likes this.
  15. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

An Astro headset?

16. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

A 4.4mm balanced headphone cable is also TRRRS.

Last edited: 6 Jan 2024
    VictorianBloke likes this.
  17. VictorianBloke

18. Gunsmith

Gunsmith Maximum Win

took their ****ing sweet time arriving but ceiling speakers are finally here. :rock:

[​IMG]

Yaka and Vault-Tec like this.
  19. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Free watch as well. Sweet.

20. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

Byron C likes this.