1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Other Is bit tech dying?

Discussion in 'General' started by s1n1s, 8 Jun 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. supermonkey

supermonkey Deal with it

The responses in this thread so succinctly illustrate the tone of general discussion of late, and simultaneously serve as an example of the type of discourse that has driven many of the more eloquent members away - or at least caused them to spend less time here.

Kayin, Nexxo, JJ, and Combatus all offered some semblance of discussion. Even Margon challenged Kayin's original post in a way that wasn't so combative. In return for their replies, we get the equivalent of 'your mum.'

s1n1s likes this.
  2. YEHBABY

YEHBABY RIP Tel

Your post implies that Kayin conducted himself in the same way as the others. I'm sorry, I haven't seen any of them insulting anyone else.

From his actions in this thread I would not categorise his behaviour as eloquent, as your post implies.

You seem to be focusing on how people reacted to his insult and using that as a reason that more 'eloquent members' have left. There was no hostility in this thread until Kayin, out of the blue, insulted a group of people.

You are focusing too much on the 'effect' and not enough on the 'cause'.

No matter how difficult your situation, it does not give you free reign to insult people. I would have respected him more if he apologised in his later post. Unfortunately he did not.

3. Nexxo

Nexxo * Prefab Sprout – The King of Rock 'n' Roll

Understand a little more, condemn a little less. After all he did not personally insult you, whereas you are personally insulting him.

Teel, you have been cut a lot of slack over the years for your behaviour because I know about your circumstances. I know you wouldn't expect me to, nor do you carry your heart on your sleeve. But you have been done a number of kindnesses and I would think it appropriate if you extended some in turn to a forum member who is going through a very hard time himself.

Sometimes we have to accept people as they are and treat them as the person we'd like them to be. Sometimes being more able to reflect on a situation than the other guy makes you the wiser person. And the price of being the wiser person is that you have to be the wiser person.

Last edited: 13 Jun 2013
  4. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

I'm a ****. Not through any real malice or intent, it's just the sum of all my parts. I've learned to accept that I'm a **** and will always be a ****.

On topic, i think the old girl is doing just fine given the circumstances.

EDIT: I can't even say that!? Sheesh. Fyi it rhymes with @.

5. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Got this at 8:30 seems they didn't fix it after all

[​IMG]

David and G0UDG like this.
  6. Elton

Elton Officially a Whisky Nerd

Nah this place isn't dying. It's sure a bit quieter, but it happens.

I do miss the awesomeness of the serious section (even just reading is fun for me, I'm not eloquent enough to do much justice to it) and I have been far too busy to visit here much anymore. But seems like it hasn't died yet, if at all.

7. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Understand a little more? He was lucid enough to realise he had overstepped, but couldn't manage a simple "whoops, a bit grumpy today, sorry chaps".

I didn't suggest that he had insulted me, he was just being an ass and I called him on it. Yes, it happens to all of us on occasion, but you mollycoddling him will only embolden his belief of entitlement.

G0UDG likes this.
  8. Elton

Cut the man a bit of slack yeah? Kayin's usually been extremely level if not incredibly rational in his behavior. We all can act like that once in a while.

It's not like he's ever abused or emphasized his position in life. And he did apologize might I add.

Not necessarily directly, but let's be honest, it's a much better apology than some of the sorry excuses of apologies I've gotten in real life.

9. Parge

Parge the worst Super Moderator

The internet is a big place, so do what I do, and take the best bits from every different site out there.

Here on Bit Tech I participate in literally dozens of discussions in Gaming, Hardware, and of course the *amazing* project logs and mods every day. Not to mention all the excellent articles that the staff do - which, by the way, some of you need to be a lot more thankful for, and that is a fact. Imagine working in your current job, where your boss came and wrote things like this about your hard work. Talk about a thankless task.

Just like everything in life, you’ll only get out of Bit Tech what you put into it, so, you know maybe it’s you. If you think that might ring true, the rest of us would prefer you to leave quietly like a red faced one night stand, rather than a prostitute kicking up a fuss because she knows you can afford another hundred. Discreet, ya know.

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. s1n1s

s1n1s What's a Dremel?

well I still come here and read the articles and they are still good especially over the last few days, bit tech is part of my daily routine first page I load up. I wasn't intending this to be a complaint in anyway to be honest.

and damn this thread seems to have gotten personal :/

11. Nexxo

Why don't you lead by example and respond in a measured and calm manner, keeping your personal feelings in check. Be the wise one.

12. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

some Indian bloke with glasses, allegedly.

13. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

I've been entirely calm throughout, and I think my responses have been fairly measured. Yes, I called him an ass and asked him to get over himself - is it really all that much different to what you have said to people in the past? Are you saying he wasn't being an ass?
    I thought I had made it clear - I haven't taken any of this personally. I did not suggest his comment was directed toward me, but I do find it surprising that you seem incapable of criticising him and would rather debate my response to his outburst.

YEHBABY likes this.
  14. miller

miller What's a Dremel?

I would hardly say that bit-tech is dying but a friend of mine got fed up waiting for the final activation of his bit-tech account, he says it was never finally activated so he could not post and he never bothered trying to registering again.

Something I found odd when waiting for final activation was that I could access "Today's posts" when not registered (a visitor) but when logged in and waiting for final activation I could not access "Today's posts" :confused:

Final activation for my account only took 2 days, thanks mods :thumb:

15. Elton

Yes even I will admit, he was acting like an ass, but as I pointed out, he owned up to his own poor choice of words.

That said, you seem rather hell-bent on rectifying this rather non-existent problem..

16. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

No he didn't he said that his medication was off so it wasn't his fault that he was being an ass, and that with his condition it was to be expected.

Sorry if that response is rude, I have ADHD and I haven't had the right mix of sugars today so I'm getting a bit cranky. And I also once got electrocuted climbing through an electric fence as a child which also made me cranky, so I feel I need to share this rather than say I am just in a bad mood. Excuses make it OK you know? Especially if its something that people consider to be a touchy subject and if you debate this you're a racist. But if its your fault for not realising this before you started reading.

Teelzebub, Carrie and YEHBABY like this.
  17. Nexxo

He was being an ass. So have many other forum members, but I have not always pointed it out to them. Because everybody has a bad day sometimes, and tolerance is a virtue. By the time I intervene and give someone a bollocking, they've had a lot of chances.

I am asking you to lead by example and, just for the moment, be the wiser person that I know you are capable of being.

OK then. Kayin has a complex congenital disorder that leads to physical deformity and inexorable physical deterioration --coupled with a lot of pain, of course. He is just hitting that point when the drugs and painkillers are not working anymore, and he will die in the next few years --very unpleasantly-- leaving a wife and young kids behind. Earlier this year he also buried his baby son, who died after a long period of battling with complex health problems of his own.

This happened against a backdrop of (IIRC) a hurricane flattening his house, battling with the quixotic nature of private health care in the USA, the family dog going crazy and having to be put down (and in his neck of the woods you have to do that yourself), and being the only halfway intelligent person living in Duelling Banjo Redneck County. Make no mistake: Kayin is the local freak. For his deformity as much as for his intelligence.

So yeah, I think that today, for his one outburst in the nine years that he has been a very reasonable, respectful and pleasant person on these forums, I will cut him some slack. And on his behalf, I apologise for his outburst, and also for him not apologising in the manner that you would have liked him to.

Don't get me wrong: I know that some other forum members have real problems too. And on occasion they behave less than wisely, and I cut them some slack too. Because I for one know, through my job, what it is like to have real problems, and that having nothing else to feel upset about than a bruise to my ego, is to be in a blessed state of grace indeed.

Now, can we get back on topic?

18. Shirty

Shirty W*nker! Super Moderator

This thread looks set to kill Bit-tech off sooner rather than later :rolleyes:

I'll summarise a TL;DR for any latecomers:

• Bit-tech as a tech-website isn't dying, but it has changed quite dramatically from what it once was. The same could have been said in 2007 about the "old" Bit-tech of 2001, and I'm sure it was. Roll with the times or leave quietly (or a combination of the two).
    • The forums are alive, they just lapse into quiet periods. Just as the tide ebbs and flows.
    • Some people on here don't like others' tones very much sometimes. Others will suffer fools gladly.

s1n1s and Parge like this.
  19. Jake123456

Jake123456 Surprise!

Nexxo, I ****ing love you.

20. Lance

Lance Ender of discussions.

Look I know Kayin has had a pretty epically **** time, and I actually don't think his initial comment was too bad but he shouldn't need to explain all that, and we shouldn't feel the need to wrap him up in cotton wool just because of it. We're here to discuss and connect with like minded people and so we shall.

If he would like to apologize for a comment thats fine, but do it from yourself not from your medication.

Oh and Kayin I do apologize for calling this one out, because as I said above what you initially said really wasn't that bad, it was the ensuing argument that I objected to.

siliconfanatic likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.