1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant little annoyed that scan deleted my post and closed the thread

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 4 Aug 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

Please clarify the " cock up " we have made.

2. TheManicGibbon

TheManicGibbon I have no idea what's going on

Scan vouchers :D

3. ChrisP

For the next customer who returns a product Out of warranty, should we also choose to swap the product our regardless and therefore should this be done for everyone?, if not why do you believe this should be the course of action in this case?

Plus what should we do with these product returned out of warranty but replaced at our cost and what effect do you think this will have on our Business in the long term and the continuous ability of offering a good service at a good price, with these increased costs in an increasingly competitive market?

4. fev

fev Industry Fallout

Deleted the original thread with no message to the OP explaining why.

Don't act all high and mighty mate, the forums you're meant to support are giving you feedback. Take it on the chin and move on

TheManicGibbon likes this.
  5. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Use some discretion, if a product is likely to last at least a year (as a £60 headset should) and it hasn't. Perhaps it was flawed.

6. TheManicGibbon

I quote your signature:

7. ChrisP

I don't see why, when the reasoning has been explained.

Yes - The post was revived before this thread was created, you can look at the edit times and the time this post was created to confirm this.

I have re-clarified and a replacement cannot be offered.

8. ChrisP

Please clarify, which thread /post has been deleted ?

9. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Award winning customer service?

10. ChrisP

We use discretion if a product is returned out of warranty, say 1-2 days but this was 1 month and the Returns Manager will not allow a replacement to be offered in this case.

11. Cabe6403

12. fev

fev Industry Fallout

However, it's been blown out of proportion. Give the man a quick fix, you're a retail manager you should know customers always right.

Being 28 days out of warranty is going to cost the business peanuts @cost yet keep a customer happy. If he's had a good experience he's going to come back. I don't need to tell you this but it seems you're up for a fight?

13. TheManicGibbon

So did you delete his post or not? Because he seems to be under the impression that you did.

EDIT: Cabe6403 beat me to it :thumb:

14. Penfold101

Penfold101 What's a Dremel?

To be fair, we don't know how the OP has used the headset. A year is a long time to own it - we are only assuming that the product was faulty to begin with...

15. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

With absolutely no reference to what it was about other than a perfectly civilised thread with a genuine query from one of your customers, which was answered then locked, I think said locking and in particular editing of the OPs post was a little step over the line. I, for one can't stand when a thread of mine is locked so that the discussion about the topic in question cannot continue or when a post containing nothing that breaks forum rules is edited by a mod. It's something that I consider as being an abuse of power and it has never happened to me on this forum. EVGA (yeah, I'm going there) on the other hand, do it all the time, and I refuse to deal with them in the future because it happened me on their forums a couple of months ago. It went something like this:

ME - "Hi, I'm new here. I have a question regarding the warranty on one of my EVGA products and I hope someone can help me - question stated"

OTHERS - "Several (three, AFAICR) slightly helpful posts from other forum members"

EVGA STAFF MEMBER - "Judging from what you have said in this thread already, we have now voided the warranty on your EVGA product under our warranty terms and conditions, and this thread has been locked."

They then refused to communicate with me in any form on the subject. Sorry EVGA, but **** you. You just lost a customer (and when I say a customer, I mean every one of my customers also) for life.

So basically what I'm saying is, be very careful about editing peoples posts and locking threads. It can be and often is seen as a "we aren't going to let you talk about that because we think you're wrong". I'm not saying this was the case here, but I know for a fact it has been the case in the past. It took one innocent, reasonable question in a thread on EVGAs forums for them to void the warranty on the most expensive PC component I've ever purchased and lose me as a customer for life. I don't think for a second that this is as serious as that, but I'm just saying that care needs to be taken in making decisions about locking peoples threads and editing their posts, especially if it's locked prematurely, before they have a chance to respond or ask further questions.

And yes, I am serious about the EVGA thing. I'll never buy another EVGA product as long as I live. Between the incident described here and their blatant cheating in the annual Folding @ Home "Chimps Challenge" this year, I have them permanently on my manufacturer blacklist.

Last edited: 4 Aug 2010
  16. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Even in cases where you may be required to do so in order to comply with your obligations under the Sale of Goods Act?

17. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Weird how a company like Scan would prefer to go to court through the sales of goods act. Most likely fail in court and end up paying larger amounts than necessary.

18. ChrisP

19. Cabe6403

We can't see that. Why did you have to delete the thread while editing a post anyway?

Surely it would have been much quicker to simply edit the post. It wasn't exactly a long edit you replaced it.

20. TheManicGibbon

How can you delete a post and edit it at the same time?:confused:

EDIT: Cabe6403 beat me again. damn.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.