1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant little annoyed that scan deleted my post and closed the thread

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 4 Aug 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

if its out of warrantee is your gripe not with the manufactorer not scan.

you can bring faulty goods back to either the seller or the manufactorer and is it not the manufactorer that sets warrantee periods

if scan takes it back the manu will just say sorry out of warrantee we wont replace it

2. flibblesan

flibblesan Destroyer

Obviously you don't go replacing items for every single customer but, given that the item wasn't fit for purpose and was sent in for RMA without any of your staff informing the customer that it was out of warranty, something more should be done. Scan make bold claims about great customer service and I've yet to see any from you in this or the other thread. Reputation is a powerful thing and this whole incident is giving Scan a bad reputation in these forums and the wider community. I cannot imagine anybody reading your posts will be wanting to deal with Scan any time soon and I'm pretty certain that the original customer will be informing as many people as possible not to use Scan for any purchases.

Spending the small amount of money on a replacement headset to make one customer happy is worth a lot more to Scan in sales and reputation in the long term than refusing to replace his faulty item and p##sing off the rest of the community in the process.

3. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

I understand your point of view, however especially when this decision would be so public the other readers are very likely to expect the same offer. Then how can we explain why this offer cannot be offered to them, especially when there is no real reason why we should be replacing product , which are out of warranty.

We appreciate all the Business we receive but it makes things a lot harder if we discriminate against people who's spend is not as high as another's and offer premium options to those who spend more, warranty is clearly outlined and is the same for everyone.

4. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

If I were Scan I think by now I'd be on damage control rather than stubbornly refusing to give any ground.

Your reputation is taking a hit here and you can't delete this thread.

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

No, the Sale of Goods Act clearly places responsibility on the seller to deal with issues of unsatisfactory quality.

6. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm still worried that you've not answered the query about your stance on the Sale of Goods Act. Do you, or do you not, offer refunds/replacements for items outside of warranty but that can be demonstrated to have had an inherent fault at the time of purchase?

7. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

sorry your right, dont know where i got that out of. i take it all back.

8. ChrisP

So why for this customer?, where should the line be drawn.

I can agree that it would have been better had an e-mail been sent to confirm warranty had expired, on the other hand it's up to the customer to ensure their product is returned before the warranty expires, not us. The RMA was originally sent before the warranty was due to expire.

If customer do not order from SCAN because we cannot replace product out of warranty, this is their choice, we act where possible.

We already operate on a low profit margin and offer FREE delivery, your decision to offer a replacement product for this customer may solve this one issue, however it would cause many more issue's with other RMA's when he same offer can't be offered.

9. ChrisP

Each RMA is dealt with on a case by case basis.

This has not been demonstrated.

10. Pieface

Pieface Modder

Woah guys, their delivery is FREE! It's like a rarity in the e-market.

11. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

I don't think in this case ChrisP is arguing with the law. He's simply stating it was outside of Warranty when received (which it was, according to the records shown on the thread).

If the OP can prove the problem was inherent with the item, then I imagine Scan will have no issue complying with the law on the matter.

However, I do feel this thread has gone slightly out of control and it very much looks like a "Everyone jump on Scan" moment. From what I've read, they were in their right to reject the RMA, so if the owner of the faulty headset can in fact show the item was not fit for purpose, then that's a different matter altogether.

Problem is, the OP is not a regular poster (2 posts so far), so this leaves the whole thing at an impasse.

12. Cabe6403

Cabe6403 Supreme Commander

Chris, are you able to revert Adam's post to what it was before you edited it?

13. ChrisP

Ph4lanx

Thank you...

14. ChrisP

If Adam PM's me what he wants to re-appear I will certainly evaluate the information.

Regards

15. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I just had a quick read through this thread and there are some things that stand out to me:

1: Can anybody here honestly say that they know that the product was faulty at delivery? AFAIK this have to be proven by either the customer or a tech. So far all we know is what OPs opinion and/or interpretation of the law.

2: Why the sudden demand that Scan replace the headset? Just because a customer complains, doesn't mean he have the right to get it replaced.

3: Why lock/delete a thread to edit it?

And here is this big one:

Why is this discussion public? Surely this is a thing between Scan and the customer.

(I'm not taking sides here, i just find the entire ting a bit odd. (And yes, i do know how it is to be both customer and retailer))

16. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Well, the OP made it public. It was his choice, and that is what the Scan forum is used for apart from stock requests and the like.

17. el2k

el2k Modder

Scan are awesome. The product was out of warranty. Stop being bent.

Teelzebub likes this.
  18. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

This.

For those who haven't read it, here's the original thread's starter:

So, the plastic had worn away. Not that the plastic was worn away at the time of delivery, but that it had worn away after use.

As to the time schedule:

So, Scan got their act together, issued an RMA, waited patiently, re-issued the RMA to extend it, and by the time the product arrived at Scan, it was exactly 1 month out of warranty.

Where in the returns terms of any company does it say "You should return it within the warranty, but if you wait 3 months after the RMA's issued and it's then out of warranty, find a web-forum where the retailer's a partner, just whinge in there a bit and they'll go out of pocket for you"?

If Scan had cancelled the RMA instead of extending it, it might have given Sturm a kick up the backside to get a new RMA and return it immediately, but we're delving into psychology here, and I really can't be bothered.

Scan went above and beyond when they extended an RMA (something they did for me too when I couldn't find a box to send a hard drive back in), but asking them to cough up when they're not at fault is a bit much.

Maybe you'd like them to dim the lights, put on some soft soul music, get down on their knees, and
    beg for forgiveness
    ?

19. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

this was put up as a rant more than a demand to get the headhpones replaced i think the issue was taken up wrong.

20. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

Personly I think all this is only making it harder for Scan to make a good will gesture.

Maybe they should offer to meet him half way ?

Last edited: 4 Aug 2010
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.