1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant little annoyed that scan deleted my post and closed the thread

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 4 Aug 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

So the RMA which was originally provided sometime in April was for 14 days? It was then extended by what? One 14 day period? Two? Three? Four? I mean there doesn't appear to have been any indication from either the OP or yourself in the original thread that the item was returned outside of the RMA expiry date, just outside the warranty period. So the question still remains as to why you allowed the RMA to be extended outside the warranty period when you know you don't offer replacements for items that no longer have a warranty?

Aside from anything else it seems to be terrible customer service to tell a customer that they can return an item, give them a date by which it has to be returned and then when it's returned just turn around and say "out of warranty, we're not going to do anything".

Edit: Was it explained to the customer at the time his RMA was extended that it had no effect on the warranty? Or is that just something being explained to him now?

2. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

for gods sake we dont see that you deleted and edited my post. plus i couldnt give a damm wether you tell me its 9mins past or 28 minutes past or whatever

When i check the thread my post had been removed and i couldnt reply anymore i then refreshed a couple of times to make sure it wasnt a mistake. I then created a new thread (this one). im so sorry that i didint create it fast enough for you so the numbers stack up

3. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

Krazeh, are you missing the point where the customer created the RMA 60 days before it was out of warranty, but retained the item for a further 90 days before bothering to return it? Or do you just think that its okay that you can do this as long as its opened before its out of warranty?

A week, or two, okay. But NINENEMTY days?! Good god, did he crawl from his house to the Scan depot? :lol:

Even if you're disabled services like parcel2go will come to your door within a couple of days.

I think its perfectly acceptable of Scan to insist the item be returned before the warranty period is up, when it was raised 60 days before this, even if they're willing to give an extension to the RMA case itself.

*walks away muttering ninenemty days and shakes head*

4. M7ck

M7ck Ⓜod Ⓜaster

I am a fan of Scan and they are my number one pc etailer but I think the only thing that Scan done wrong here was to edit/delete posts. By all means if you don't agree with or even like what has been said then please just correct/state your case in a post of your own. Posts should only be edited by the op or if it contains something against bit-techs rules.

5. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

RMA's have an expiry date. If Scan gave the customer an expiry date which he complied with, regardless of how long it was from the original date of the RMA, then I don't see how Scan can claim they provide good customer service by telling that customer to essentially sod off now his item has run out of warranty. If their policy is that they don't do refunds/replacements for items outside of warranty then any RMA expiry date should never be any later than the date the warranty ends.

6. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

My understanding is that if you ask for an extension, then the RMA's left open. Some of us take the need for an extension as a sign we should get our act together and just post the flipping thing. Others are not as cognitively blessed.

Zoon likes this.
  7. Zoon

Zoon Hunting Wabbits since the 80s

+1. I also take it to assume that if I want it fixing at all, I'd want it fixing quickly. Not 90 days later, nor 60 days later, nor even a week tbh.

8. Fizzban

Fizzban Man of Many Typos

Molehill --> Mountain.

The dude should have sent the item off when he got the RMA number, and not waited months before mailing it. It was his fault not Scan's. If he can PROVE the item had a fault at purchase then he can get Scan to replace it. But he basically admitted it was wear.

Wtf is wrong with half the people in this thread? Can you not read or do you just filter out the words you don't like?

As for the thread/post being locked/deleted/edited.. whatever. Take it like a man.

9. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

Krazeh

If you read the original thread you will know when the RMA was issued. When an RMA is extended, it's for another 14 day's and was re-issued 14 day's before the warranty was due to expire still plenty of time for the product to be returned on top of the period already available to return the product. So why is this "terrible customer service"? ..... and actually the RMA was not extended outside of the warranty period at all!

Overall the RMA number was valid from the 28 th April to the 19 th July.

We confirmed the RMA number had been extended, we didn't specifically confirm the warranty period was also extended nor did we confirm it had been, nor did the customer ask if the warranty had been extended and there was no reason the believe for any reason the warranty period had been increased.

chrisb2e9 likes this.
  10. ChrisP

That's ok but please don't state your post was revived after this post was created, when you didn't know it had been and had already been confirmed that it hadn't

If there is still an issue on this point I will screenshot the time stamps.

I'm not sure why you are apologising for not creating a post quick enough as I have never brought this up as a point nor has anyone else, simply I have confirmed, contrary to believe that your post was revived simply because of this particular thread.

Teelzebub likes this.
  11. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

So why was the customer told that the technicians had examined his item and it was being rejected because it was out of warranty and not that it was rejected because the RMA had expired? I mean if what you're saying is true then it would be impossible for his item to have returned with a valid RMA wouldn't it?

19th July or 19th June?

I'd argue with that, if I'd asked for a RMA for a product that was still inside warranty and then for whatever reason needed an extension on the RMA, which the seller agreed to, I would expect my item to be treated in the same manner as it would have been at the time of the original RMA request.

12. ChrisP

Krazeh

ah yes, to correct myself - The RMA number was extended to the 19th July and the warranty expired on the 19th June. I understand the question why was the RMA number extended outside the product's warranty period, which was a natural extension, outside of the warranty period but was still initially extended within the warranty period and therefore no reason to believe the warranty period had been extended..

It is up to the customer to be aware of the warranty period for the products they purchase and ensure they are returned within the warranty period.

EDIT

The RMA number was valid from 28/04/2010, so not impossible to return from this point to the 19th June.

13. adam_bagpuss

Right this is the end of the road now.

Ive spoken to consumer direct who imformed that i am 100% correct.

Regardless of wether its in warranty or not a consumer can claim up to 6 years in england and wales against goods. In this case its a headset and the claim is unsatifactory quality for a product that is around 13-14months old now. SCAN MUST deal with this request should the customer put it forward.

However the customer must prove the item is faulty i.e. take it to an expert for checking. In this case the cable had worn away and exposed wires and such. An item is expected to have durability fit for purpose i.e taking it off your head and putting it down etc.

Scans says that the claim for up to 6 years is for court cases. THIS IS 100% UNTURE as confimed by consumer direct.

This is what my original post said but it was edited because scan says its inaccurate and then locking of the thread.

I knew i was right and im sorry i had to do this as i like scan but please do not quote lies and inaccurate information or intrupt the law as you see fit. I have been through this before with a TV and it was replaced under the sales of goods act so i like to think i know what im on about.

This is not up for debate either its the law so scan your wrong and should the OP come forward he is entitled to challenge your rejection of the headset.

14. ChrisP

We are certainly not going to replace this product unless anymore evidence is received. If we receive further evidence we would be more than happy to re-look at the situation, but until that time there is nothing else we can do..

Regards

15. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

I'm sorry but there's every reason to believe the warranty period has been extended. If someone makes a complaint about a product within the warranty period, then asks the seller for the date by which they have to return it to be extended why would they not expect that their item would still be treated in the same manner as it would have been when they originally complained? If your policy is as you say it is, i.e. no returns/replacements outside of warranty, then you never should have extended the customer's rma period to a date outside the item's warranty; by doing so you clearly gave the impression that you would still be willing to honour the item's warranty and deal with the return up until the extended RMA expiry date.

That wasn't my point, the point was at the time it was returned it had a valid RMA number even tho it was out of warranty and not something you were going to deal with. That shouldn't have happened in any sense of providing good customer service.

16. Thacrudd

Thacrudd Where's the any key?!?

Everyone quit fighting, it was out of warranty, deal with it. It happens (to me before even)

There is no use arguing because Scan is obviously a good business to deal with. I don't think it's right that you all are picking on them, especially when there are many of you and only 1 Chris. They offer FREE SHIPPING for christs sake, that's an amazing gesture on it's own. Shouldn't this be about our understanding of the "sales of goods" act and not some bickering about "do this kid right". When is the last time you brought a bunch of your friends down to a shop in person to fight over a return? Exactly. Give them a rest, this is waaaaaaay too one-sided and in appropriate. The only advice I have for Scan is to work on communication with the customer. Sometimes people need to be talked to more to understand and be happy about a decision. That is all

/endofbutthurt

17. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

The first half of this quote is what I was getting at - IF he can prove it. Which, when we're talking about a £60 headset, is probably going to cost more than the headset itself.

Scan are right until proven wrong. He can certainly challenge the rejection of the headset, with evidence to support it. Which is the reasoning behind the post below:

If the guy was that bothered about his headset, he'd have got off his backside and sent it. No point calling the waahmbulance if you wait till after the seasons change. The guy had 2 months to get this sorted within warranty, and for whatever reason, chose not to. Something tells me he won't be bothered to get off his backside and have it independently verified as faulty from the point of purchase, either.

18. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

When I read that thread I just thought "This guy's treated his headphones like crap and is now trying to get a free new set out of it".

I'm not saying that's what happened, but he returned them 2/3 months after the RMA was issued which was then out of warranty.

I have never found Scan anything but excellent in dealing with returns.

I've also rarely not had a year old pair of headphones with stripped wires/loss of sound. This is because I leave wires trailing over the floor, walk over them etc etc. I'm not saying that's what this chap does, but the headphones I've looked after have never had a problem. That's my fault for not looking after stuff, not Scans.

So 1. He's a genuine customer who's been given a shoddy product with a 1 year warranty. He returned it a month after the warranty ended. Tough.

2. He's a freeloader trying to scam a free pair of headphones. Tough.

Completely in the right to not replace the product.

Shouldn't have edited the post though. A simple explanation as to how and why the information was inaccurate would have been better. Just looks like you're trying to cover up.

19. adam_bagpuss

PLEASE PLEASE people read my post.

you do have rights and its is NOT tough. this thread has nothing to do with the actual warranty period as the original OP to the scan thread was very late with his return which can have saved this whole mess.

most of you people are missing the whole point of my rant.

Scan are disregarding the sales of goods act that i quoted to them as inaccurate info and thats why my post was edited and deleted even though as i have just posted is 100% true.

This is not about warranty or the guy but betwee scan, me and it intrupretation of the sales of goods act which is incorrect.

20. Zinfandel

Zinfandel Modder

Yes the sales of goods act does state that you have a responsibility to your customer for upto six years, but that is superceeded by

"if customers want to reject faulty goods, they have to do so within a 'reasonable time'.

The reasonable time in question will ultimately have to be decided on by a court if it can't be done between the supplier and the customer and not a court in the land will put 13 months on a pair of £50 headphones.

So you were both right in a manner of speaking, but Scan were more right.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.