1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Rant little annoyed that scan deleted my post and closed the thread

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 4 Aug 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pieface

Pieface Modder

There's a difference between warranty and Sales of goods act.

But no-offence Will, you're not really best getting into this argument as I'd think staff should try and stay away from affiliates and members. That's where it gets messy.

2. October

October Mariachi Style

I think I'm gonna take Scan's side on this one too, if the whole thing was private maybe they could have offered a replacement this one time but if it was offered now there'd be nothing to stop everyone sending back out-of-warranty goods and quoting this instance.

Despite how dodgy editing someone's post might be, I think a replacement just because a ruckuss was raised would be sending the wrong message.

3. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

I'm not staff. :p

Just to clarify the Sale of Goods Act, for anyone going down that road:

Taken from Consumer Direct:

The RMA was raised after 10 months' use. The Sale of Goods Act does indeed apply here, IF Sturm wants to make a claim in court that the product was defective, and can gain expert testimony that the product was defective from the start, and this wasn't down to misuse.

From Sturm's original post, he mentions the headset "wore down". That's more than enough reason for a retailer to say "wear and tear, as admitted by the customer".

Last edited: 4 Aug 2010
  4. Smilodon

Smilodon The Antagonist

I didn't read the original thread at first. Reading the first post of it I must say that the only thing Scan did wrong was to not reject the case from the start...

Guess the customer isn't always right after all. ;)

5. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

If its out of warranty its out of warranty in my eyes.

The wire may have worn away but if its been rubbing on something then surely its gonna do that.

Not a fan of scans RMA process after being caught foul of it twice already so I am surprised to be finding myself defending scan.

6. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

one earpiece? sorry couldnt help it:)

7. memeroot

memeroot aged and experianced

on the subject of returned goods out of warranty then it clearly depends on the quality of the item...

Certainly Scan should not pay out on every item but it should pay out on faulty items as per sale of goods...

If it finds it is selling an item which is being sent back after 1 year and a day then I'd suggest that it stops stocking it or sells it at a price that will cover the cost of the replacements.

However I certainly have headphones than have stopped working through no fault of the item (kids gota love them grrrrrrr) in such cases then clearly there is no need for the seller to refund (rather the item is paid for out through child labour or pocket money)

having said all that SCAN should be careful regarding deleting or editing posts - they have a right to reply and get their point across and deletions or edits should only be used in cases where offence may be caused.

8. shigllgetcha

shigllgetcha Minimodder

its scans forum that can do what they wish, same as applies here

9. Teelzebub

Teelzebub Up yours GOD,Whats best served cold

:lol: He could do a van gogh :worried:

10. MaverickWill

MaverickWill Dirty CPC Mackem

Like this?

[​IMG]

Sorry, couldn't help myself. :p

The worst part is, Scan have said they'd honour a return a day or two out of warranty if possible. It's a nice gesture that can account for postal delays, or times where it really does spanner up after a year and a day.

The 3 months between the RMA being issued and the return being made? Not Scan's fault, so why Scan's problem?

11. adam_bagpuss

adam_bagpuss Have you tried turning it off/on ?

OMG

i so did not expect the thread to reach this kind of level.

need to clarify a few things.

1: some people mentioned the OP and i got the impression they meant me. I am not the OP with the faulty headset. i tried to provide adivce to the original OP in the scan thread.

2: my issue was not with the whole warranty issue but the ChrisP is interpreting the sales of goods act one way and me another and because of this my post was heavily edited, the quote changed and put back after this thread was created.

3: im sorry for the mess i seem to be making it was not my intention to punish scan but to re-open the debate i was having which i had closed and that kinda pee'd me off a bit

to get back on track i was trying find out if the sales of goods act would apply as my interpreatation of it seem it would do PROVIDING the orignal OP took it to an expert and had it checked out. If it was found to be defective through no fault of the user then scan should reapir or replace under "sales of goods act" regardless of wether its in warranty or not. I would expect that headphones should last more than 1 year of use which seems reasonable to me.

12. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

Actually if Scan extended the RMA period then I'd say it was Scan's fault. From what I can gather here they'd have known full well they wouldn't replace a faulty item once it had gone outside of warranty so why agree to extend the RMA expiry date to a time outside the warranty period?

13. Phalanx

Phalanx Needs more dragons and stuff.

Maybe they didn't. Maybe the extended RMA covered a period within the warranty and overran. Many RMA systems simply open a set amount of time for you to send the item back within. It's usually hard-coded into whatever system you care to purchase.

14. CrapBag

CrapBag Multimodder

Once you open an RMA with ebuyer that RMA stays valid for 30 days, probably the same issue here.

15. Krazeh

Krazeh Minimodder

They already admitted in the original thread to having extended the RMA expiry date.

16. ChrisP

ChrisP Retail Sales Manager

We do check RMA rates, this is an isolated issue, which does not warrant us stopping the supply of this product to our customer's.

To clarify we may choose to honour a warranty if returned slightly out of the warranty period, this would be at our discretion, not a right, based on the particular situation and product involved.

17. ChrisP

When an RMA number is issues it is valid for 14 day's, it can be extended but as explained to the OP it was the RMA number that was extended not the warranty period.

Also to clarify the RMA was extended within the warranty period.

18. ChrisP

Incorrect.

19. Unicorn

Unicorn Uniform November India

Chris, I don't mean to whinge, but could you please include the quote="username" segment of a quote when you're doing so. It makes it much easier for someone to see when you've replied to something they've said.

20. ChrisP

Unicorn

Sure

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.