1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Scratch Build – Complete Na'ir al Saif

Discussion in 'Project Logs' started by Attila, 3 Feb 2010.

1. AnG3L

AnG3L Ultimate Modder

Holy Maoly..... most awesome mod ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Waynio

Waynio Relaxing

Freaking beautiful, I love it :), you are the diy modder I aspire to catch up with the most with all the awesome & creative hand work, your will produces magic, awesome example of inspirational modding :).
    I have a feeling this is going to be another piece by you that belongs in an art gallery :D:rock:.

3. riekmaharg2

riekmaharg2 has completed the PowerCore scratch build

That is one awesome finish :jawdrop:

4. Throbbi

Throbbi What's a Dremel?

The contrast between anodised and mirror polished is very awesome.

However, what happened the edge of the top fan mount?? Looks almost like its been sanded. I hope thats work in progress and not an unhappy accident :(

5. Nutman

Nutman Never stuck with stock

This is progressing really well. Actually, I'm quite envious of your skills. ;)

But, as Cheapskate mentioned, it's a shame that the polished aluminum fades over time do to corrosion/natural anodizing. You COULD remedy this by applying laquer to the polished pieces and then wet sanding between each layer and finally finishing off with a buffing wheel and some automotive paint wax.

6. scgt1

scgt1 Minimodder

ditto

7. talladega

talladega I'm Squidward

+>9000

8. Fabou

Fabou What's a Dremel?

I called it awesome before, now I don't now what to say but it's even better than awesome 5 I wish I had more vocabulary, if anybody has an idea).

9. brinkz0r

brinkz0r Minimodder

Me likey very many!

10. LooseNeutral

LooseNeutral What's a Dremel?

Beautiful, Beautiful, Beautiful! Tissues please.

11. shah

shah Minimodder

Very nice:thumb:. splendid work:clap::clap:.

12. Silent_Raider

Silent_Raider What's a Dremel?

When I first looked at this pic, I thought "why is he showing a picture of a can and its reflection in a mirror?" Then I took a second look and realized it was the polished aluminum!!!11!1!1!111!!!!!!! :eeek: :lol: :eeek:

Brilliant design and execution on this project.

When can I pre-order mine?!

13. Burnout21

Burnout21 Mmmm biscuits

wow, very art-deco! I like it, and i like the polished parts, with just an anodised build it would have come out rather flat looking i think.

Shame there is no hardware on the market that visually would give this build justice, all the hardware is too blue, black and well dark or 'in your face' colours.

14. Boscoe

Boscoe Electronics extraordinaire.

I love your work, I loved the last case you did. I envy your skills! I already see that this case is a success before its finished.

Boscoe.

15. Ripitup121

Ripitup121 MMMMMMm watercooling....

:jawdrop: ohhhh so sexy.......

16. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks for the replies everyone.:thumb:

The fan bodies are still in the process of painting and Much filling and priming
    has been done because of the rough original finish.
    As for the polished alu, I'm trying to hunt down some premium non-yellowing
    clear coat (like the stuff they coat alloy wheels with). The final polishing hasn't
    been done yet so I have plenty of time. ;)

Your right about the hardware burnout. By I guess the mobo I'm using at least
    has colours close to the grey/white of the alu, and the darker blues of the ram
    and some other parts are also complimentary.

17. Achron

Achron Cad Pro Quo

Beautiful. I've always been envious of your determination and creativity. I also still have no clue what this is going to look like when it's done.

What grit did you sand everything to before anodizing, 600? Type 2? What kind of thickness did you specify?

18. xXSebaSXx

xXSebaSXx Minimodder

I spent about 4 hours going over your CX-1 log a couple nights ago and then las night I found this one... You Sr. are one talented man. I've read more than a few project logs in the past couple weeks and as amazing as all those other builds look, most of them display a high degree of craftsmanship whereas your CX-1 went way beyond that. I think you need to be placed in your own category... maybe we should refer to you as a computer sculptor. See? The thing is that all the mods I had seen before your CX-1 had me going "wow that is super cool!", but when I saw the finished product on your mod my reaction was way different... it was more in the realm of "Damn... I would put that case in my living room and not even worry if it didn't have a pc inside it"... It would work just as well as a piece of art.
    Having said that; back to THIS mod... I'm sure this one is going to be just as stimulating as CX-1 and knowing the kind of talent and dedication you have at your disposal, I'd even bet it will top it. I don't know if it has been said already, but you should be on the running for MOTY for 2010 with this puppy. You got my vote.

19. Attila

Attila still thinking....

Thanks Achron and xXSebaSXx. :thumb:

@Achron., If the part can be sanded with a sanding block in a straight line, then I
    only go to 600 grit. If the part is of such design that it needs to be sanded just by
    free hand, then I generally go to 800/1000 grit. I asked for plain (uncoloured) finish
    and the parts are put in together with other parts in the sulphuric acid bath. This
    means the oxidised layer can be anywhere from 5 to 30 microns thick. I can
    tell that this time the parts have a thicker layer because the screws are quite difficult
    to get in where as in the past this wasn't the case. Also, the colour of the finish is a
    little darker this time.

I had time to assemble the fans and motors today. The machined plates were fixed
    to the fans with two part epoxy.

[​IMG]

The philips head screws were replaced with socket head M3's. They just look better.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Still some sleeving to do.

[​IMG]

I can now get a first look at the fans in place. The fan bodies need a lot of work yet so
    the fan assemblies were just placed into position.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the slots for the cables to run through (between the body and the
    mounting plate).

[​IMG]

Just some more pic's.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

devilxc likes this.
  20. BLUEHORSESTUDIOS

BLUEHORSESTUDIOS I haven't lost a finger yet!

Amazing, I really love what you've done with the fans.The aluminum and acyrlic look so beautiful together.