1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Anyone else get british bulldog banned at their school?

2. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

Yes, and I think with hindsight now did it happen? Surely our class wasn't the first to play it?

3. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

**Shudders**

4. Arboreal

Arboreal Keeper of the Electric Currants

IIRC 'Battle of the Planets' received similar treatment. The UK version had a lot of violence cut out, and allegedly the 7 Zark 7 cutaways were created to fill in lost content.

And I now have the TMHT theme as an earworm, thanks @Gareth Halfacree :lol:

I'll also add that I'm sure I watched it at a far too old age, at Uni. Brings back fond memories of playing 4 player Turtles arcade with friends too much...

5. IanW

IanW Grumpy Old Git

This is kinda true. 7 Zark 7 was an American creation to hide the fact that they shredded 105 episodes down to 85, that's why the animation quality always plummeted when he was on screen. Ask Wikipedia

Arboreal likes this.
  6. Arboreal

Thanks Ian, I wasn't going to look for fear of opening a rabbit hole!

BTW my shredder at work is called Krang, if only I could find a good clip of Krang shouting 'SHREDDER!' from the series...

7. David

I'll admit I'm overly sensitive to this, but TMHT wounded me. I discovered the TMNT comics in the mid/late eighties and absolutely loved it. The subsequent movie, TMHT comics and TV series battered it beyond recognition.

Same with Men in Black in the early nineties - there was some dark humour in the comic books but nothing like the zany slapstick BS played out in the films.

2000AD was massive for me, and Stallone's Dredd still winds me up.

...and then, Ghost Rider... Nnnnng!

I was never 8nto Batman, Superman, Spider-Man comics and the like, but it seemed like every comic that was dear to me was dragged out and mutilated for public consumption.

I'm just thankful they didn't get their hooks into The Weasel Patrol, Hero and Crisis.

Now, if you'll excuse me, this recollection has put me in a deep blue funk and I'm going for a bit of a sulk.

8. Nealieboyee

Nealieboyee Packaging Master!

Actually Stallone's Dredd was amazing, and who doesn't love Nicholas Cage's acting in Ghost Rider?!!!
    /Sarcasm

David likes this.
  9. David

You ought to be shot, Neal. :hehe:

The_Crapman likes this.
  10. Arboreal

Thanks for your openness there Dave, it interesting how things from your childhood and youth can be ruined. You could say the same of many many excellent books that haven't been well adapted to the screen, or skewed in their adaptation.

I can't think of anything myself at the moment, but IIRC the Turtles were dark and moody books, and have been dumbed down horribly, esp by being aimed at a really young audience.

In other news I am coming out of a darker brooding moment (I DO like your deep blue funk...) having 'lost' a very old friend 2 weeks ago. We were great friends at uni, and a bit after, then drifted apart. It's interestingly telling that after all the deaths and sadness this last 2 years, to lose on of your exact contemporaries really throws your mortality into focus.
    All I'll say is he was a good guy (despite his profession and peers) and someone whose loss what high profile recently.

David likes this.
  11. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Agree 10000%
    But its still not as bad a Cruise's Reacher :waah::wallbash::waah::wallbash:

12. Almightyrastus

Almightyrastus On the jazz.

I have to admit that I quite enjoy watching Stallone's Dredd. Oh sure, it is far from a decent film, but it came out at a point where I was really into model making and the set/prop design of that film was something that I absolutely buried myself in and I ended up replicating all sorts of bits and pieces either as prop copies or other pieces in model making that were heavily inspired by the look of things like the buildings or the costumes. It's still kinda nice to watch it again now and then and think back to all that fun.

13. David

I haven't read the Jack Reacher books but I can sympathise.

14. ElThomsono

ElThomsono Multimodder

I think they start out with a physical description of Reacher, which is something along the lines of 6'5" :sigh:

15. David

Physical description or the size of his ego?

16. Pete J

Pete J Employed scum

I didn't mind Stallone's Dredd :worried:

Don't get me wrong, it missed the point of the comics and it wasn't a patch on Karl Urban's portrayal, but as a dumb action film I'll happily play in the background whilst cleaning or something, game on.

17. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Every book contains some info about his physicality.

Reacher or Cruise?
    The Reacher books deal with it rather well as he ages in real time as the books are released and has to deal with his declining reactions and body, which is a bit of a bummer as there will come a time when it comes to an end, and I still get bummed that there'll not be anymore Bob Lee Swagger books

18. David

Is that where "Shooter" comes from?

19. mrlongbeard

mrlongbeard Multimodder

Yes, Shooter is the abomination spawned from the Swagger character / Point of Impact book.

20. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

I like Stallone Dredd, it's a very good interpretation of the zanier end of Dredd's cases. Given that Dredd has fought a sentient jumpsuit that wanted to put people to death for crimes against fashion in the past, I never thought it was too silly.

On the topic of demote.
    https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-58993679
    "The test says you can't have Dementia 'cos you're a n####r and n####s ain't that smart to begin with,"
    What a great look NFL.