1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

LOL *NSFW* *The new Demote thread*

Discussion in 'General' started by adam_bagpuss, 8 Jul 2011.

1. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Like her or not, she's got a lot of influence with the voting public in America. I doubt her opinion can sway the election but each time she's encoraged people to vote, the turnout and voter registration numbers have soared: https://www.theguardian.com/music/2024/feb/08/taylor-swift-2024-presidential-election

There will be a lot of right-wing shitbrains, and their devout acolytes on this side of the pond, desperate to make her into a new political bogeyman.

2. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Yup, she can influence the election simply by encouraging people to vote. The right wingers would prefer the vast majority of the public to stay apathetic and effectively disenfranchised.

Byron C likes this.
  3. Mr_Mistoffelees

Mr_Mistoffelees The Bit-Tech Cat. New Improved Version.

Labour perhaps, needs to get somebody like Adele onside.

4. ModSquid

ModSquid Multimodder

Erm....:worried:

5. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

I think the best standard bearer for Labour right now is the Tory party itself :grin:

Pete J and Mr_Mistoffelees like this.
  6. fix-the-spade

fix-the-spade Multimodder

Youtube at some point has introduced a 'Themes of Suicide and Self Harm,' warning onto videos which quite literally will not allow videos tagged with it to play. Not only that, but if you click on the 'I understand and wish to proceed,' button on the warning it skips to another video. Not only not only that, click back onto the flagged video and it redirects to to some bizarre self help/Suicide Prevention page.

I just want to listen to some CKY. Look, I'm a 90s child, I know the album's called Camp Kill Yourself, I survived the Grunge and Emo eras, I'll be fine.

The_Crapman likes this.
  7. Mr_Mistoffelees

8. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Chat-bots are literally having a chilling effect on science... just by existing. The Future™!

EDIT:
    Bonus:

[​IMG]

The_Crapman likes this.
  9. The_Crapman

The_Crapman World's worst stuntman. Lover of bit-tech

Pmsl into my mx anywhere 3 :hehe::lol::hehe::lol::hehe:
    Screenshot_20240214_131128_Facebook.jpg

Pete J and adidan like this.
  10. David

David μoʍ ɼouმ qᴉq λon ƨbԍuq ϝʁλᴉuმ ϝo ʁԍɑq ϝμᴉƨ

Cue the new announcement from Corsair:

The X85 Replicator mouse, with flash storage.... and RGB.

BeauchN likes this.
  11. Gareth Halfacree

Gareth Halfacree WIIGII! Lover of bit-tech Administrator Super Moderator Moderator

Another day, another pin-prick in the AI hype bubble:

Air Canada has been ordered to compensate a B.C. man because its chatbot gave him inaccurate information. Fun one, this, 'cos it involves a chatbot outright lying to a guy trying to claim bereavement discounts after losing his grandmother, the company then saying "nah, we're keeping your money," and then turning around and trying to argue that the chatbot represents "a separate legal entity that is responsible for its own actions" and therefore Air Canada's entirely innocent.

Using ChatGPT for "private" projects, meanwhile, could spread your "private" data far and wide - and not just to OpenAI itself, I hasten to add. "It allows the creator of a malicious GPT to steal and also overwrite files from your conversations with other GPTs, including ChatGPT."

adidan, Byron C and IanW like this.
  12. adidan

adidan Guesswork is still work

Lol, were Air Canada trying to suggest their chatbot has passed the Turing test?

Separate legal entity responsible for it's own actions my ass.

13. Gareth Halfacree

This one's fun: Google has released Magika, a tool which uses an ML model to identify file types. It's been trained, at considerable computational expense, on a corpus of one million distinct files...

filetype-magika.png

none of which, apparently, stretch back to the days of the Amiga in the mid-1990s.

BSD's File, though? Which uses no ML trickery at all?

filetype-file.png

Works fine.

(Yeah, yeah, that's an unfair test, 'cos Google built it to identify modern file types, at which it apparently beats file by 20 per cent based on the results of Google's own corpus, but still. Would it have killed 'em to include some more esoteric filetypes - y'know, the ones you might actually not know by eye - in the training dataset?)

Better still, here's how long each took to run:

Magika:
    real: 0m0.289s
    user: 0m1.282s
    sys: 0m0.717s

File:
    real: 0m0.006s
    user: 0m0.003s
    sys: 0m0.003s

The Future™!

IanW and Byron C like this.
  14. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

[​IMG]

Srsly tho, is this really that big a problem that it required scads of compute power and electrical power to train an AI model? Are there really that many file types?

I could understand the rationale if it’s examining the contents of the file to infer what it is, rather than just looking at file extensions, but again: is that really such a big problem? It might be a problem that Google (or any other company that stores an incomprehensibly vast amount of data) needs to deal with, but I can’t imagine that this is a big problem for the average user - or even an expert user, for that matter…

Running a pre-trained inference model vs a lookup based on data that’s very likely held in memory. One of these requires third party tools, libraries, binaries, etc, and one of these requires… er… just the OS, actually…

EDIT: I don’t know BSD, so for all I know “file” might well be examining the file contents as well as looking at the extension/name.

15. Gareth Halfacree

It is. Which is why it has no idea what Amiga files are, as they weren't included in the training data.
    BSD File comes by default with most Linux distros - it's not a BSD-only thing. And to quote the manpage: "There are three sets of tests, performed in this order: filesystem tests, magic tests, and language tests. The first test that succeeds causes the file type to be printed."

Byron C likes this.
  16. Byron C

Byron C Multimodder

Every day is a school day.

To be honest I don’t think I can ever recall the need to use it. 99% of the time I can tell what a file is and what it does based purely on its name, file extension, or directory tree. I also know where the important/system-critical directories in Linux and Windows are, so if there’s a file in one of those that I can’t identify then I know well enough to leave it the hell alone!

IanW and Gareth Halfacree like this.
  17. TheBlackSwordsMan

TheBlackSwordsMan Over the Hills and Far Away

18. Mr_Mistoffelees

Found a little poem on TwittX:

“Braverman is bonkers & Priti is a prat,
    Gove is off his head & Boris is a tw*t,
    Moggsy's out of touch & Rishi is so weak,
    Dowden is a weirdo & Shappsy is a freak,
    It's time for them to go, so everybody shout,
    Bugger off, leave us be, pack your bags...TORIES OUT!”

Pete J likes this.
  19. Gareth Halfacree

Signed the eldest up to Khan Academy a little while back, and spotted that it now has a three-bucks-a-month "AI tutor" option. White-labelled ChatGPT, naturally. "That'll end badly," I thought, as I hit the "no thanks" button.

WSJ: "We Tested an AI Tutor for Kids. It Struggled With Basic Math."

I'm shocked. Shocked! Well, not that shocked.

IanW likes this.
  20. Gareth Halfacree

adamanatee likes this.